Postponed celebrations of International Romani Day to be held in Czech capital on 22 July
The Prague 4 municipal department and the initiatives Khamoro o.p.s. and Romské Akce (Romani Actions) are organizing an evening of performances they are calling Romský bašavel. The invitation calls on all who are interested to come celebrate International Romani Day, customarily held on 8 April and postponed this year due to COVID-19, and to enjoy a pleasant evening full of dance, music and song.
Bašavel will take place on Wednesday, 22 July from 17:00 to 22:00 at the Novodvorská Cultural Center, Novodvorská 1013/151, Prague 4. Entry is free of charge.
The event is being moderated by Emil Voráč of the Khamoro organization, based in Chodov, which is especially famous for the care it provides to children and Romani youth. Because of measures associated with COVID-19, the number of participants is limited and it is no longer possible to register online.
- Commentary: Romani actors should boycott Czech cop show over antigypsyist content
- ROMEA announces Romani Scholarship Program for 2020/2021 in the Czech Republic
- Miri Fajta, a Romani production company, wins Czech short film competition, could show at Cannes
- Roma youth build music school to bring people together in the Czech Republic
- Emil Voráč: In the Czech Republic, nonprofits able to integrate Roma are often blocked from financing
- Chair of the Pirate Party in the Czech Republic stands up for Romani activist assaulted by hateful attackers
- Czech racists physically assault Romani activist Jozef Miker while shouting antigypsyist abuse
- Prague's tent city almost full with 142 Romani refugees from Ukraine there, others head to Germany after bad experiences in the Czech Republic
- Czech Health Minister: Room for Romani refugees from Ukraine has to be found outside of Prague
- Czech capital's "tent city" receives first Romani refugees from Ukraine
- Prague Mayor tells Czech Govt that if refugees are not redistributed elsewhere in the country by Tuesday, he will close the assistance center
- Nikola Taragoš: Some Romani refugees from Ukraine will move into the Czech capital's "tent city" either this evening or tomorrow morning
- Czech capital to see temporary accommodation for Romani refugees from Ukraine in the Troja neighborhood so they need not sleep in the train station
- Czech Interior Minister: Temporary shelter will be built so refugees do not have sleep in the hallways of the main train station in Prague
- Mayor of Prague says if the Czech state does not systematize the distribution of refugees it will close its aid center, tent city supposedly being built
- Prague asks the Czech state for aid with accommodation of groups of Romani refugees from Ukraine, mayor says the state's effort has failed so far
- In an historical first, Romani artist Małgorzata Mirga-Tas represents Poland at the Venice Biennale with “Re-enchanting the World”
- Czech capital takes down two of the four large capacity tents where Romani refugees from Ukraine were being housed
- More than 3 000 people assembled to celebrate World Roma Day in Ostrava, Czech Republic - footage of performances here