Prague celebrations of International Romani Day continue, contingent from Brno coming for a surprise event
Today the Prague celebrations of International Romani Day are continuing with an evening program "Brnodrom", at the Uhelna club featuring Romani performers from Brno. Audiences can look forward to a comedy sketch, "Miri fajta", and a musical performance that will end with a big surprise.
"From the beginning we have been advertising this as a musical evening with a surprise. The surprise is not who will be performing - we can reveal that the guests will be Natálie and Matuš Bagár, or Zdeněk Lázok, for example. They are naturally being supported by colleagues from all over the Czech Republic - Tibor Žida, Marta Balážová, and the Funky Brothers from Louny. Why this particular combination of musicians is coming to Prague, though, is something the audience will only find out if they come," David Tišer, director of ARA ART, the convening organization, told news server Romea.cz.
In addition to music, guests can look forward to a theatrical performance. A Romani theater group is coming from Brno which, under the direction of Robin Stria, has rehearsed an original play called "Miri fajta".
When: Saturday 7 April 2018, 19:30
Where: Uhelna Club & Restaurant, Štefánikova 18/25, Praha 5
That production first arose as an activity of the Brno community center of the DROM organization and was premiered in November 2017. "It's kind of a survey of a Romani family in Brno. It's a sitcom that originally was created as a television script, and it shows that Romani people know how to make fun of themselves and that their lives are colorful, diverse, and do not just revolve around problems associated with life in a socially excluded locality in Brno," the author and director said.
Brnodrom begins at Uhelna on Saturday, 7 April at 19:30. In addition to music and theater there will also be an opportunity to meet with the organizers of this year's International Romani Day and with some performers, as well as to taste Romani cuisine.
The Prague celebrations began yesterday with two tours of the city center by the historic "tROMvaj" with live music. The fulcrum of this year's celebrations is its musical program, culminating in a gala evening full of of non-Romani and Romani celebrities on Sunday, 8 April at the Archa theater.
As is traditional, the Milena Hübschmannová Award for special contribution to the field of the Romanes language will be given, the laureates of which are annually chosen by the Romani Studies Seminar of the Faculty of Arts at Charles University in Prague. This year the Prague celebrations are three days long and are directed as usual by the ARA ART organization; the theme of this year's celebrations is Romipen (Romani-ness) and its content in the 21st century.
- International Romani Day celebrations begin in Czech capital with Romani tram ride - "tROMvajka"
- Czech Republic: Theme of International Romani Day celebrations this year is Romipen
- VIDEO: Gala celebration for International Romani Day in Prague
- VIDEO: Discussion of International Romani Day at the European Parliament
- Czech President Zeman visits school with Romani pupils as 2021/2022 school year begins
- LGBT+ members of Romani communities were part of Prague Pride this year, activists introduced program to aid people experiencing multiple discrimination
- LIVE: "Leperiben: We Do Not Forget" - Prague ceremony honoring Romani victims of the Holocaust will include reading of their names
- Czech LGBT Romani activist says LGBT Roma are used to being scorned, but have their allies as well
- Romani activist Rudolf Zajda has passed away in the Czech Republic
- David Tišer tells Romani actor he has given Czech society a product full of stereotypes - and no explanation why
- 50th anniversary of the international movement of Romani people celebrated worldwide
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner on 8 April: Roma are still stereotyped here - let's get to know what we have in common and where we differ
- EU Commissioners on 8 April: Europe has a long way to go to achieve real equality for Romani people
- Overview of the online commemorations of the 50th anniversary of the Romani movement already underway!
- Online Romanes-language video calls on Roma to declare Romani nationality during the Czech census
- Legendary Romani musician Rudolf Bagár has passed away