Prague celebrations of International Romani Day end today with gala
The Prague celebrations of International Romani Day will culminate today at the Archa theater with an evening gala full of non-Romani and Romani celebrities. The performance will close the three days of celebrations directed by the ARA ART organization.
Sunday, 8 April 2018 is the 18th time International Romani Day has been celebrated in the Czech Republic. The theme of this year's celebrations is Romipen (Romani-ness) and its content in the 21st century.
The evening will be preceded by an NGO Market at the Archa theater where nonprofit organizations will present themselves at 17:30. At 19:30 performances will be given by Gejza Horváth, Gitana (SK), Antonín Gondolán, Veronika Kačová and Cikne čhave, Marta Balážová, Matuš Bagár, Pavlína Matiová, Romano Zorba–Horváth, Kaminiko, Anna Slováčková, Ondra Gizman ml., Milan Kratejl and David Kandráč.
The singers will be accompanied by the Milan Kroka Live Band. The evening will be moderated by Iveta Demeterová and Ladislav Goral.
As is traditional, the Milena Hübschmannová Award for special contribution to the field of the Romanes language will be given, the laureates of which are annually chosen by the Romani Studies Seminar of the Faculty of Arts at Charles University in Prague. 8 April is a day when Romani people worldwide celebrate the richness of their culture, remember their history, and reflect on situations they are facing both in the majority society and inside their own communities.
The unifying theme for each year is always chosen so as to reflect a current issue. "We are using the term Romipen to identify a set of cultural traditions, values and ways of behaving, negotiating and performing those traditions not just within our community and family, but also in public. These are unwritten laws handed down from one generation to the next through which (among other matters) the Romani society differentiates itself from the majority," explains David Tišer, director of ARA ART and the main director of the Prague celebrations.
The answers to questions about Romani people's identity and their values are immeasurably important, according to the organizers. "In order for us to be able to function well in the majority society as a whole, we must primarily comprehend who we are. The journalist Petr Uhl once described this fittingly: 'Romipen is the basis of the cultural emancipation of the Roma'. I would add that this emancipation is unconditionally necessary in order for Romani people to live with dignity and in a bilaterally beneficial symbiosis with the majority society," Tišer said.
The Prague celebrations began on Friday when an historical "tROMvaj" with live music made two tours of the city center. On Saturday those interested were able to watch the comedy "Miri fajta" at the Uhelna club and attend the birthday celebration for a Brno-based legend of the Romani music scene, Gejza Horváth.
- Prague celebrations of International Romani Day continue, contingent from Brno coming for a surprise event
- International Romani Day celebrations begin in Czech capital with Romani tram ride - "tROMvajka"
- Czech Republic: Theme of International Romani Day celebrations this year is Romipen
- VIDEO: Gala celebration for International Romani Day in Prague
- Jan Balog: Romani nonprofits in Prague will meet to discuss dissatisfaction with Czech Govt Council for Roma Minority Affairs
- Czech Police investigate distribution of antisemitic book after media reports
- Prague City Council disagrees with Czech bill to consolidate two housing benefits into one
- UK boxer of Irish Traveller origin Tyson Fury met his fans in Prague
- Romani celebrity Radek Banga tells 300 000 demonstrators in the Czech capital: This is not just a handful of people!
- Czech ceremony commemorates heroic deaths of the Czechoslovak paratroopers who assassinated Nazi official
- Report from Prague's anti-EU demonstration: The little guys on all sides
- Slovakia: Romani children from excluded communities sing Romani national anthem at the Presidential Palace
- VIDEO: Gala celebration of International Romani Day 2019 in Prague's Archa Theater
- VIDEO: March of Proud Roma begins International Romani Day celebrations
- International Romani Day 2019 - Events in the Czech Republic
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 17:30 CET: Prague begins celebrating International Romani Day