Racially-motivated attack by football fans on African man on a tram in the Czech capital - nobody came to his aid
News server Aktuálně.cz reports that a group of fans of the Sigma Olomouc football club assaulted a man from western Africa on Saturday, 4 November as they were riding on a tram in Prague. The victim ended up in the hospital.
Police arrested several of the attackers that same day and is investigating them on suspicion of committing felony defamation of a nation, race, ethnic or other group of persons, felony rioting and felony battery. The fans, who had come to Prague for the match between Sigma and Bohemians 1905, got onto tram number 6 at the I. P. Pavlova stop and began to first verbally assault the 36-year-old man, who has long lived in Prague, before attacking him physically.
"At I.P. Pavlova about 20 young men got on and immediately began to shout at me that I'm a 'black mug' and a 'dirty nigger'. They also shouted that I should go back to Africa and that Blacks and Jews should be sent to the gas chambers," the victim told news server Aktuálně.cz.
The football fans are said to have thrown lemons at the man, to have punched him, and then to have dragged him from his seat and kicked him. Nobody else on the tram, including the driver, did anything to stand up for him.
After the fans exited at the Bohemians Stadium, the victim told Aktuálně.cz that he attempted to call the police: "I wanted to call police and an ambulance, but my phone was destroyed. When the tram took off, I pressed the emergency button. The driver was amazed, but she had to have seen them assaulting me. When I asked her to call the police and an ambulance, she asked why."
Thanks to the professional work of the police, several of the assailants were arrested during the match after the victim identified them on CCTV recordings from the stadium. He has lived in Prague for 10 yars and speaks Czech and six other languages, including Vietnamese.
The victim has earned a doctorate from a university in Prague and works as a computer programmer for a multinational firm. "All this time I have done my best to join this society, for two years I taught French as a volunteer to children at a preschool," he told Aktualně.cz.
"Now I have the feeling none of that mattered. I am also disappointed that nobody came to my aid - most of the people on the tram whom I asked to give testimony as eyewitnesses refused to do so," he said.
- Czech racists threaten online to kill children because they are of Arab and Romani origin
- Czech Police report low turnout for ultra-right event featuring speaker convicted of the racially-motivated murder of a Romani man
- Commentary: Czech politician takes photo with extremists who have records of racist violence
- Commentary: Czech politician calls police on American couple - because they're black
- Czech prosecutor says death threats and racist abuse committed through Facebook not necessarily crimes
- Czech-language, racist website asked people to "Snap an immigrant!", Roma and tourists were in the photos
- Czech MP posts racial slurs online to "test" public response, then says "just kidding"
- Tomáš Ščuka: Unwritten social rules make racism against the Romani minority socially acceptable
- Czech Republic: Non-Romani man shouts racial abuse at 34-year-old Romani man before shooting him dead
- Harvard survey over 15 years finds Czechs are Europe's biggest racists, critics question its methodology
- Czech Republic: Romani people who responded to racist innuendo by giving the Nazi salute face up to three years in prison
- Czech Human Rights Minister says he will shop at Lidl after racists criticize its use of a black model
- Czech football club backed down to racists within its own fan base over documentary screening
- Czech football club cancels screening of documentary about Romani footballers after fans threaten violence
- Survey shows Czechs are the least tolerant in EU toward blacks, Buddhists, Muslims, Roma
- Petra Gelbart: "Black Mugs" in the Prague metro
- Czech football fans hang up Islamophobic banner during match, team later apologizes
- Czech MP holds hate rally with nooses for "traitors" warning of "hordes of horny blacks"
- Czech football hooligans attack Romani youth, Roma plan to demonstrate
- Czech Republic: Embassy employees invite rejected Romani footballers to protest match
- Do the Czech courts believe "black swine" is not a racist insult?
- Czech Republic: Cousin of crossbow victim says shooter shouted "You black whores I'll kill you!"
- Rumburk: "Gypsies to the gas chambers! Black swine! We'll burn you alive"
- Czech politician appeals sentence for his hateful remarks about minorities
- Czech prosecutor appeals after court acquits online hater of saying dark-skinned first-graders should be gassed to death
- German police raid homes of online haters in wake of political assassination
- Czech restaurant chain apologizes to Romani musician for refusal of service
- Czech town sees street fight, mayor writes about the "gypsy nuisance" - then ignores other violence involving non-Romani people
- Czech candidate shocked when online haters targeted her two-year-old
- Czech Police charge adults who assaulted Romani children with three felonies including racial defamation
- Czech restaurant says reservations, not racism, were why a Romani group was not seated despite empty tables
- Winner of Czech-Slovak singing competition "The Voice" subjected to racist attacks online
- Czech court acquits football hooligans accused of assaulting dark-skinned man on Prague tram, prosecutor appeals
- Hungary: Radicals protest "Romani crime", Romani people and their allies stand up to them
- Czech descendants of WWII resistance fighters demand senator resign over speech at Holocaust memorial