Regional coalition of Romani representatives calls on Czech ombudsman to apologize for his remarks about Romani people
Romani people living in the Liberec Region are demanding that the newly-appointed Public Defender of Rights, Stanislav Křeček, apologize for remarks which, in their view, have degraded many Romani people. News server Romea.cz is publishing their statement here in full translation.
Declaration of the Coalition of Romani Representatives of the Liberec Region
We, the undersigned, demand that Mr Stanislav Křeček apologize to all Romani people for the remarks he has made in the media about Romani people describing us as an "inactive" minority when there are many nonprofit organizations and other groups working all over the country exactly on the issue of the participation of Romani people in public affairs. His remarks are unacceptable to us, as they denigrate the work of many Romani people.
The Roma are part of this society, and for that reason, as civil society, we must object to the ombudsman's behavior and draw attention to this failing. Romani people's interest in politics and active citizenship has significantly improved, compared to previous years, and Romani people are finally becoming leaders who can achieve their goals.
It is exactly for that reason that we consider it unacceptable that the Public Defender of Rights is dividing society by making such remarks. We are also concerned about the very continued existence of that office and how it will actually function, since Mr Křeček, in his remarks, is not ascribing the necessary importance to the subject of discrimination as part of the job description of the Public Defender of Rights.
We perceive discrimination to be something that is, to a large degree, preventing the emancipation of Romani people and their integration into society. We are glad that the Liberec Region, in that regard, is functioning well - the Romani community here has its representatives in the form of local Romani nonprofit organizations who communicate with each other, respond to community needs, and are doing meaningful work for the good of the Romani people and the socially excluded persons in the region in the long run.
For the Coalition of Romani Representatives in the Liberec Region (Koalice romských reprezentantů Libereckého kraje, z. s.) and other groups in the Coalition,
Marie Pilátová, Ján Lányi, Eugen Kondáš, Julius Baník, Dana Tamašová, Klára Růžičková, Ladislav Mártha, Marie Kondášová, Nikola Bilá and other members.
- Czech ombudsman to control discrimination agenda, head of the legal section steps down to work for his deputy
- Czech Police arrest opponents of new ombudsman who blockaded his access to the office on his first day
- Civil society members of Czech Govt Council on Roma Minority Affairs call on new ombudsman to meet
- Chair of Czech right-wing extremist party exultant over appointment of new ombudsman
- Czech lower house votes for new ombudsman, runoff to be held later today
- Outgoing Czech ombudswoman assessed her seven years in office before the lower house today
- Romani politician Cyril Koky: Stanislav Křeček as Czech ombudsman would be absurd and ridiculous
- Czech Social Democratic Party has new candidate for President to nominate as ombudswoman after his first choice declines due to pressure over her past
- Some Czech minorities, NGOs consider nomination of Human Rights Commissioner as ombudswoman a good choice
- Czech President nominates current Human Rights Commissioner as candidate for ombudswoman, opposition not enthusiastic
- Czech ombudswoman: Haters online frequently refuse to admit to themselves that they could be breaking the law
- Czech Senate nominates former Human Rights Commissioner for Deputy Ombudswoman role
- Czech President and Senate may both nominate former Human Rights Commissioner for Deputy Ombudswoman
- Czech ombudswoman supports fundraising campaign for school whose first-graders were racially abused online
- Czech Deputy Ombudsman: We cannot treat people as individuals
- Czech activist on 8 April: the Romani position in society is deteriorating, zero results from the financing invested
- Czech court finally rules football fans' actions during attack on Black man should be considered misdemeanors, not felonies
- Czech actress accused by fellow Instagrammers of racism for her comments about Black people on an American beach
- Czech footballer Ondřej Kúdela, centre-back for Slavia Prague, accused of racism in Glasgow
- LIVE BROADCAST NOW! EU Anti-Racism Summit
- Czech Prosecutor General appeals case to Supreme Court, says antisemitic death threats are a crime, not a misdemeanor
- Synodal Council of the Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren calls on ombudsman to apologize for anti-Romani remarks
- Czech MP protesting measures to stem COVID-19 pandemic is a trafficker in poverty with a history of anti-Romani racism
- Mayor of Czech town apologizes after bureaucrat recommends application to use the town logo be rejected because she believed the applicant to be Romani
- Czech ombudsman attacks ROMEA organization for criticizing racist joke by incoming Chief Public Health Officer
- Incoming Czech Chief Public Health Officer apologizes to Romani people for racist joke
- Brand-new Czech Chief Public Health Officer has a history of anti-Romani racism in her previous public communications about COVID-19