Regional coalition of Romani representatives calls on Czech ombudsman to apologize for his remarks about Romani people
Romani people living in the Liberec Region are demanding that the newly-appointed Public Defender of Rights, Stanislav Křeček, apologize for remarks which, in their view, have degraded many Romani people. News server Romea.cz is publishing their statement here in full translation.
Declaration of the Coalition of Romani Representatives of the Liberec Region
We, the undersigned, demand that Mr Stanislav Křeček apologize to all Romani people for the remarks he has made in the media about Romani people describing us as an "inactive" minority when there are many nonprofit organizations and other groups working all over the country exactly on the issue of the participation of Romani people in public affairs. His remarks are unacceptable to us, as they denigrate the work of many Romani people.
The Roma are part of this society, and for that reason, as civil society, we must object to the ombudsman's behavior and draw attention to this failing. Romani people's interest in politics and active citizenship has significantly improved, compared to previous years, and Romani people are finally becoming leaders who can achieve their goals.
It is exactly for that reason that we consider it unacceptable that the Public Defender of Rights is dividing society by making such remarks. We are also concerned about the very continued existence of that office and how it will actually function, since Mr Křeček, in his remarks, is not ascribing the necessary importance to the subject of discrimination as part of the job description of the Public Defender of Rights.
We perceive discrimination to be something that is, to a large degree, preventing the emancipation of Romani people and their integration into society. We are glad that the Liberec Region, in that regard, is functioning well - the Romani community here has its representatives in the form of local Romani nonprofit organizations who communicate with each other, respond to community needs, and are doing meaningful work for the good of the Romani people and the socially excluded persons in the region in the long run.
For the Coalition of Romani Representatives in the Liberec Region (Koalice romských reprezentantů Libereckého kraje, z. s.) and other groups in the Coalition,
Marie Pilátová, Ján Lányi, Eugen Kondáš, Julius Baník, Dana Tamašová, Klára Růžičková, Ladislav Mártha, Marie Kondášová, Nikola Bilá and other members.
- Czech ombudsman to control discrimination agenda, head of the legal section steps down to work for his deputy
- Czech Police arrest opponents of new ombudsman who blockaded his access to the office on his first day
- Civil society members of Czech Govt Council on Roma Minority Affairs call on new ombudsman to meet
- Chair of Czech right-wing extremist party exultant over appointment of new ombudsman
- Czech lower house votes for new ombudsman, runoff to be held later today
- Outgoing Czech ombudswoman assessed her seven years in office before the lower house today
- Romani politician Cyril Koky: Stanislav Křeček as Czech ombudsman would be absurd and ridiculous
- Czech Social Democratic Party has new candidate for President to nominate as ombudswoman after his first choice declines due to pressure over her past
- Some Czech minorities, NGOs consider nomination of Human Rights Commissioner as ombudswoman a good choice
- Czech President nominates current Human Rights Commissioner as candidate for ombudswoman, opposition not enthusiastic
- Czech ombudswoman: Haters online frequently refuse to admit to themselves that they could be breaking the law
- Czech Senate nominates former Human Rights Commissioner for Deputy Ombudswoman role
- Czech President and Senate may both nominate former Human Rights Commissioner for Deputy Ombudswoman
- Czech ombudswoman supports fundraising campaign for school whose first-graders were racially abused online
- Czech Deputy Ombudsman: We cannot treat people as individuals
- Czech bodybuilder fined for approving of murder of Romani man, he appeals
- Facebook will delete posts denying or distorting the Holocaust, ignorance of it among youth one reason
- Slovak politician gets 4 months and 4 years for establishing a movement to suppress human rights, he appeals
- Portugueuse police ordered to remove racist tattoos
- Czech Senate elections won by "Mayors" party, xenophobic rhetoric scored no votes, owner of disinformation tabloid not reseated
- Czech poll finds 30 % of the public does not want Romani children in mainstream classes and does want them to be segregated
- Czech Interior Ministry: Ultranationalist party attempted to spark anti-Romani sentiment, extremists and xenophobes spread disinformation about COVID-19
- Czech court upholds suspended sentence for man who called for non-white first-graders to be gassed to death
- Czech regional elections: Ninth-place Romani candidate says housing and lack of representation are the community's biggest problems
- Commentary: What are the Romani candidates running for the fascists in the Czech Republic thinking?
- Czech court sentences perpetrator to five years for racist assault on Romani man, both defense and prosecution considering appeal
- COMMENTARY: Romani actors should refuse to perpetuate stereotypes in Czech television programs