Regional coalition of Romani representatives calls on Czech ombudsman to apologize for his remarks about Romani people
Romani people living in the Liberec Region are demanding that the newly-appointed Public Defender of Rights, Stanislav Křeček, apologize for remarks which, in their view, have degraded many Romani people. News server Romea.cz is publishing their statement here in full translation.
Declaration of the Coalition of Romani Representatives of the Liberec Region
We, the undersigned, demand that Mr Stanislav Křeček apologize to all Romani people for the remarks he has made in the media about Romani people describing us as an "inactive" minority when there are many nonprofit organizations and other groups working all over the country exactly on the issue of the participation of Romani people in public affairs. His remarks are unacceptable to us, as they denigrate the work of many Romani people.
The Roma are part of this society, and for that reason, as civil society, we must object to the ombudsman's behavior and draw attention to this failing. Romani people's interest in politics and active citizenship has significantly improved, compared to previous years, and Romani people are finally becoming leaders who can achieve their goals.
It is exactly for that reason that we consider it unacceptable that the Public Defender of Rights is dividing society by making such remarks. We are also concerned about the very continued existence of that office and how it will actually function, since Mr Křeček, in his remarks, is not ascribing the necessary importance to the subject of discrimination as part of the job description of the Public Defender of Rights.
We perceive discrimination to be something that is, to a large degree, preventing the emancipation of Romani people and their integration into society. We are glad that the Liberec Region, in that regard, is functioning well - the Romani community here has its representatives in the form of local Romani nonprofit organizations who communicate with each other, respond to community needs, and are doing meaningful work for the good of the Romani people and the socially excluded persons in the region in the long run.
For the Coalition of Romani Representatives in the Liberec Region (Koalice romských reprezentantů Libereckého kraje, z. s.) and other groups in the Coalition,
Marie Pilátová, Ján Lányi, Eugen Kondáš, Julius Baník, Dana Tamašová, Klára Růžičková, Ladislav Mártha, Marie Kondášová, Nikola Bilá and other members.
- Czech ombudsman to control discrimination agenda, head of the legal section steps down to work for his deputy
- Czech Police arrest opponents of new ombudsman who blockaded his access to the office on his first day
- Civil society members of Czech Govt Council on Roma Minority Affairs call on new ombudsman to meet
- Chair of Czech right-wing extremist party exultant over appointment of new ombudsman
- Czech lower house votes for new ombudsman, runoff to be held later today
- Outgoing Czech ombudswoman assessed her seven years in office before the lower house today
- Romani politician Cyril Koky: Stanislav Křeček as Czech ombudsman would be absurd and ridiculous
- Czech Social Democratic Party has new candidate for President to nominate as ombudswoman after his first choice declines due to pressure over her past
- Some Czech minorities, NGOs consider nomination of Human Rights Commissioner as ombudswoman a good choice
- Czech President nominates current Human Rights Commissioner as candidate for ombudswoman, opposition not enthusiastic
- Czech ombudswoman: Haters online frequently refuse to admit to themselves that they could be breaking the law
- Czech Senate nominates former Human Rights Commissioner for Deputy Ombudswoman role
- Czech President and Senate may both nominate former Human Rights Commissioner for Deputy Ombudswoman
- Czech ombudswoman supports fundraising campaign for school whose first-graders were racially abused online
- Czech Deputy Ombudsman: We cannot treat people as individuals
- Czech prosecutor finds livestreamed remarks made in pub about "stabbing" politician rise to the level of a misdemeanor only
- Czech court to hear appeal in case of brutal assault by non-Romani adults on Romani children in Lipník nad Bečvou
- Czech Supreme Court upholds sentence for hate posted about non-white first-graders: Not a joke, but the promotion of Nazism
- Czech Police prosecuting one of the men who assaulted Romani people in Sokolov this summer, Internal Affairs says officers' procedure was correct
- Czech MP Okamura (SPD) to lose lower house vice-chair post because of his hatemongering, according to Civic Democratic Party member
- Hungarian court rules Romani children were discriminatorily institutionalized because of their origin and social status
- Alternative for Germany, the anti-immigration populists, arguing internally over whether 10 % of the vote is success
- Czech welfare chauvinists call for abolition of inclusion, renewal of "special schools", and denial of welfare to "inadaptables"
- Czech Bar Association reprimands attorney for approving of "joke" calling for the gassing of non-white first-graders, he appeals
- Czech man sentenced to three months in prison, suspended for one year, for assaulting Romani boy, but racial motivation is ignored
- Jaroslav Miko: Romani voters must cast their ballots for a democratic coalition, otherwise anti-Romani extremists may get into government
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights discusses compensation procedure for forced sterilizations in interview for ROMEA TV