"Rom'n'roll" band Terne Čhave performing TOMORROW in Prague
After releasing the successful album Bo me som Rom ("Because I am a Rom"), two years ago in the spring, the band Terne Čhave are now preparing another brand new record. This new material will feature interesting guest performers led by top British saxophone player Gilad Atzmon.
The saxophonist has collaborated with superstars such as Pink Floyd, Paul McCartney, Sinead O'Connor and Robbie Williams. Terne Čhave is one of the few Romani bands to have stuck to their Romani roots since beginning in the 1980s, but they are not satisfed with just playing endeless variations on the classic csardas.
The band has struck out on its own path into various genres, from folk through world music, including a style that they have called, symptomatically, "Rom'n'roll". Besides the albums mentioned above, the band has another three in their discography: Avjam Pale (2003), Kaj džas (2004) and More, love! (2008), for which they won the Anděl Award for the best Czech album in the World Music category.
The musicians from Hradec Králové celebrated their big successes even before 1989 at the Porta club in the Czech town of Plzeň. After the Velvet Revolution, under the influence of several unpleasant experiences with skinheads, the band decided to stop performing live.
Fortunately, however, they have music in their blood and were unable to imagine their lives without it. At the turn of the millenimum they enjoyed a comeback, crowned by their victory one year later in the competition at the Zahrada 2001 Festival in Náměšti na Hané, where the audience chose them as the best band.
Ever since then they have undertaken a successful number of tours abroad and at home. Where will they head this year?
20/4 – Prague, Café v lese (+ Živé kvety), 20:00
25/5 – Prague, Střelecký ostrov (+ Vasilův Rubáš & Cirkus Problem), 19:00
27/5 – Černošice, Jazz Černošice, 22:00
10/6 – Česká Lípa, Všudybud, 23:00
16/6 – Praha, Jazzdock, 22:00
17/6 – Brno, Obrfest, 21:00
30/6 – Hradec Králové, Festival Divadlo evropských regionů (European Regional Theater Festival), 22:00
1/7 – Hradec nad Moravicí, Hradecký slunovrat, 23:50
15–20/8 – Festival Banát, Romania
The band is also in negotiations to appear at the Trutnov Festival. "We are really looking forward to seeing you all at our concerts! The band Terne Čhave plays for our fans, and it is precisely thanks to their interest and support that the group has successfully functioned already for more than 20 years. After all of the years that the band has performed abroad we are enjoying playing at home, and at each concert we manage to create, together with the people, an energy that is free and uninhibited... we just want our music to break through the barriers between people and do them good. That is the main reason behind our efforts," band leader Gejza Bendik told Romano voďi magazine.
VIDEO - Interview for TV France 5
You can find more in the print edition of the monthly Romano voďi (March 2017). You can order the magazine (in Czech only) with the aid of the easy-to-use online form at www.romanovodi.cz.
- Czech Republic's well-loved RefuFest begins in Prague
- Czech Republic: Khamoro Festival starts today in Prague
- Czech Republic: Overview of International Romani Day events
- Roma Pride 2014 in Prague, Terne Čhave perform
- Czech ceremony commemorates heroic deaths of the Czechoslovak paratroopers who assassinated Nazi official
- LIVE BROADCAST TONIGHT: Final Gala Concert of the Khamoro Festival
- Report from Prague's anti-EU demonstration: The little guys on all sides
- Italian neo-Nazis want to co-opt the legacy of Czechoslovak who set himself on fire to protest the '68 invasion
- Live online broadcast TODAY of benefit concert in Prague to support Romani accident victim's medical treatment
- Grand opening of "slow fashion" shop in Prague will be broadcast live online by ROMEA 25 October
- Czech court rules activists did not enrich themselves by using abandoned building, state may go to Supreme Court
- Romani entrepreneurs push for unemployed Roma, not foreigners, to be hired for Czech bark beetle eradication
- Czech children's home turns Prague streets into summer camp, complete with parcour, this Thursday
- LIVE BROADCAST: Opening of the 20th annual World Roma Festival KHAMORO in Prague
- 20th annual World Roma Festival KHAMORO begins tomorrow - ROMEA TV to broadcast several live performances
- LIVE BROADCAST: Disgraced adviser to US President debates Democratic Party supporter in Prague