Roma Pride 2012 this Sunday in 15 European capitals including Prague
On Sunday, October 7 2012 the streets of Prague and 14 other capitals of European states will experience Roma Pride marches. In Prague the march will start at the embankment of Rašínovo nábřeží near Jirásek Bridge (Jiráskův most) and continue along the riverside to the Protestant church U Salvátora in Salvátorská street in the Old Town (Staré Město). A panel discussion will take place in the church followed by an ecumenical service ministered by Romani clergy and others in the church of St. Martin in the Wall (Sv. Martin ve zdi). In the Czech Republic the march is being organized by the NGO Konexe, while the Europe-wide coordination is being done by EGAM (the European Grassroots Antiracist Movement).
“The situation of Roma in the Czech Republic is worsening from day to day. The so-called social integration policy often fails in its current form. The situation has to be solved quickly. At the same time, Romani people have to stand up for their rights, which are being systematically violated”, says Jozef Miker, a representative of Konexe, as to why Czech Romani people are involved in the Europe-wide actions of Roma Pride 2012.
The Roma Pride march through Prague will primarily be joined by young Romani people who are living under abominable conditions in Romani ghettoes. The panel discussion in the U Salvátora church will deal with the following topics: The eviction of Romani tenants into residential hotels (e.g., Ostrava-Přednádraží, Předlice), increasing antigypsyism and hateful anti-Romani marches, segregation of Romani children into the so-called “special schools”, or the pig farm built by the state that continues to run on the site of the former WWII-era Romani concentration camp in Lety by Písek. The organizers call upon all Romani people and pro-Romani organizations to support Roma Pride 2012 by attending.
14:00–15:00 Gathering of the participants on the riverbank of Rašínovo nábřeží at Jiráskův most
15:00–17:00 Roma Pride March to the Protestant church U Salvátora (Salvátorská 1, Staré Město)
17:00–19:00 Panel discussion on the topic of “Eviction of Romani families into usurious residential hotels”
19:30 Ecumenical service in the church of St Martin in the Wall (Sv. Martin ve zdi, Martinská 8, Staré Město)
Konexe, o.s., actively contributes toward creating an open, tolerant, and responsible society guaranteeing equal opportunities for all irrespective of gender, ethnicity or religion. Konexe advocates for changing public opinion with respect to the Romani community, takes action against hateful anti-Romani marches, and provides counseling and support for those who are their targets.
- ERTF: Czech Republic failing Roma under the European Social Charter
- Czech Republic: Gypsy Spirit prize being revived by private foundations
- Did the Czech President invite an anti-Semitic extremist to Prague Castle?
- Czech election results in Romani neighborhoods
- Czech Republic: 50 anti-minority racists march in Plzeň, 60 Roma stand up to them
- Czech Republic: Neo-Nazis attempt pogrom in Ostrava, 500 Roma march against them
- Czech President: More police needed in areas of conflict
- Czech Republic: No Romani candidates seated, populist Dawn (Úsvit) gets 7 % of the vote
- The long road of active resistance to racist marches in the Czech Republic
- Czech elections: Social Democrats gain only slight lead over ANO 2011
- Czech Republic: Neo-Nazis to march on state holiday Monday
- Czech Republic: Perpetrators of machete attack get up to 17.5 years
Czech Human Rights Minister says Government might decide to buy pig farm on Romani genocide site in June10.4.2017 7:38
Czech Republic: Prestigious literary award goes to book some commentators and Romani people find offensive9.4.2017 15:27
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.