Roma Pride march on 100th anniversary of the founding of Czechoslovakia will object to President's antigypsyism
Organizers of Roma Pride have informed news server Romea.cz that on Sunday, 28 October, a holiday marking the establishment of Czechoslovakia in 1918, the annual Roma Pride march will take place in Prague. The event will begin at 14:15 on Hradčanské náměstí near Prague Castle, where Romani people and their friends will object to the recent antigypsyist remarks made by Czech President Zeman.
The march is annually organized in many European countries under the rubric of the European Grassroots Antiracist Movement (EGAM) and is being held in the Czech Republic for a sixth year in a row. Marchers will start in front of the gates to Prague Castle, where they intend to protest the recent allegations by Czech President Zeman that Romani people do not work.
"We want to clearly stand up to the outrageous antigypsyist lies of Miloš Zeman. We dislike how he disseminates and strengthens hatred against Romani people. I worked 31 years in the mines, that hard labor has affected my health permanently. Zeman's anti-Romani remarks deeply insult us Roma," former miner Jozef Miker, who is an organizer of the event, told news server Romea.cz.
At about 15:15 Roma Pride demonstrators will march to the city center, to the Old Town Square, where the march will end with more speeches. The march will be followed by a program at Žižkostel.
Visitors can look forward to traditional Romani food, a lecture about Romani music, the screening of documentary films with Romani subject matter, an exhibition of photographs, and a concert by Romani bands. The main musical star of the evening will be Terne čhave.
"Roma Pride marches have been held for about 10 years already under the rubric of the European Grassroots Antiracist Movement (EGAM). Romani people demand their rights during these marches and protest discrimination, oppression and segregation. In the Czech Republic this is the sixth year this event will take place," said Miroslav Brož of the Konexe organization, which is the Czech member of EGAM.
Roma Pride 2018
14:15 Hradčanské náměstí - speeches, music
15:15 Beginning of the march from Hradčanské náměstí to Staroměstské náměstí
17:00 Beginning of the program at Žižkostel - food, photography exhibition, children's activities, dance ensemble performances, prayer
18:00 Lecture on Romani music - https://www.facebook.com/events/32399482840417
19:00 Beginning of the concert by Gypsy Brož, UGC, De La Negra - with a 21:00 start for Terne čhave
19:30 Beginning of the film screenings - projection of the films "FC Roma" and "Hole in the Head" (Díra v hlavě), followed by a debate with Romani footballers
For more information please see:
- Hungary: 1 000 fans of Roma Pride march through Budapest, honor Romani revolutionaries
- EUROPE: Roma Pride 2016 raised the issue of denying that Roma were Holocaust victims
- Roma Pride marches in 14 European cities call for removal of pig farm on concentration camp site in Czech Republic
- Romani women call on Czech MPs to take the first step toward compensating forcibly, illegally sterilized persons, 150 figures support them
- More than 60 % of Czechs active online believe Romani people are favored over non-Roma in the Czech Republic
- Czech primary school materials feature a total of 71 sentences about Roma - and they promote stereotypes
- Czech school claims it's "random" that white children are segregated from Romani children in separate first-grade class
- Best Reality, Stars reality corporation s.r.o., DůmRealit.cz, Broker´s Team, CENTURY 21 Finem caught on tape rejecting Roma tenants in Czech Republic, only CENTURY 21 apologizes
- Commentary: Czech ombudsman's racist remarks reveal his ignorance of Roma and of history
- Czech nursery school underpays Romani janitor for years, refuses to compensate her, she is suing
- As US protests continue against police murder, ROMEA recalls 2016 case of Romani man who died in police custody under circumstances like George Floyd
- Slovak Education Ministry establishes expert team focused on solving problems with the education of members of national minorities
- Czech MEPs welcome European Commission lawsuit against Austria over different allowances for non-expatriate children of EU workers
- Celebrity rejected by Czech real estate agency because of Romani surname: "It was a shock"
- Romani woman with Harvard PhD calls Czech racist landlord over his antigypsyist advertisement