"Roma Rising" exhibition featuring portraits of Roma from Czech Republic to open in Kladno
On Thursday, 15 September at 17:00 the exhibition "Roma Rising" will open at the Sládečkovo Vlastivědné Muzeum (the Sládeček Museum of Local History) in the Czech town of Kladno and will remain on view until 27 November 2016. The exhibition features portraits of Roma from the Czech Republic who have managed to make it in mainstream society and honors their bravery and determination.
The exhibition was loaned to Kladno by the Brno-based Museum of Romani Culture. It is comprised of a selection of the works of American photographer Chad Evans Wyatt, whose images challenge the stereotypical view of Romani people as a "problem" that is promoted by the Czech media and society.
Instead of depicting Romani people as "asocial", or emphasizing their difference, the civil, serene black and white portraits are full of respect for Romani people who belong to the Czech Republic's growing, successful middle class and have achieved good results in their education and professions. Wyatt focused primarily on capturing the faces of Romani people not already known through the media.
The portrait photographer was born into a family of musicians and grew up in New York and Paris. Since 1976 he has worked in the Washington, D.C. area.
His professional career has involved producing portraits of personalities from the world of art, five Presidents of the United States, and countless figures in public office. Wyatt's work is included in the music department of the Smithsonian Institution, the Library of Congress, and the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.
Between 1993-2000 he realized a project called "101 Artists in the Post-Revolution Czech Republic" and his book of photographs from the project won the Prague Book Fair award. A similar publication of his was released in 2005 about the Roma Rising project.
- Czech Republic: 150 neo-Nazis marched through Kladno yesterday
- Chad Evans Wyatt's commentary of violent hate mail, which received Museum of Roma Culture director
- Two hundred neo-Nazis march through Kladno
- Neo-Nazis head to Kladno today
- Far-right wingers stage St Wenceslas demonstration in Kladno
- Exhibition in NY Czech Centre shows successful Czech Romanies
- Czech anti-totalitarianism festival Mene Tekel features exhibit about the architecture competition for the Lety Memorial to the Holocaust
- Museum of Romani Culture hosts the Carrets' exhibition of photographs from their visits with friends in Romani communities
- Czech Republic finally sees opening of permanent exhibition at the Memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti in Moravia
- "Your father is in the COVID-19 wing". A true story.
- Exhibition in Czech capital shows newly-identified photographs of the deportations of Jewish people from Prague during the Holocaust
- Czech town to see exhibition by pro-Romani and Romani artists referencing the Black Lives Matter movement
- New photos of much-maligned housing estate in the Czech Republic published by Romani association
- Slovak Education Ministry establishes expert team focused on solving problems with the education of members of national minorities
- Sweden: Iconic incident of woman swatting neo-Nazi with her purse was also captured on film
- Romani competitive dancer Tomáš Kaluja aids non-Romani foster parents of Romani children in Slovakia with understanding ethnic identity
- Czech Republic: Charles University's Romani Studies Seminar accepting applications
- Academic Huub van Baar has found Romani people succeed on the labor market when given a chance