Roma Spirit Czech Republic: Deadline for nominations THIS FRIDAY 30 SEPTEMBER
The final opportunity to nominate individuals and organizations for the 2016 Roma Spirit awards in the Czech Republic will be this Friday, 30 September. The mission of Roma Spirit, which is held by the Michael Kocáb Foundation in collaboration with the Open Society NGO (Otevřená společnost, o.p.s.) and the Museum of Romani Culture, is to appreciate and popularize the work of individuals and organizations who contribute to improving the situation of Romani people in the Czech Republic.
Nominations for any category can be sent by any resident of the Czech Republic through the simple online form. The nominated actions or activity must have occurred between December 2015 and the end of September 2016.
The deadline for nominations is 30 September 2016. Laureates of the Roma Spirit awards will be announced on the occasion of International Human Rights Day, 10 December 2016, at the Prague Crossroads.
Pope Francis has sent his apostolic blessing to the 2016 Roma Spirit awards in the Czech Republic and has assured them a place in his prayers. Auspices are being provided this year by Czech Culture Minister Daniel Herman, Auxiliary Bishop of Prague Monsignor Václav Malý, and Czech MP Karel Schwarzenberg.
The idea of the Roma Spirit project is that of Ms Lubomíra Slušná-Franz, preszident of the Association for Culture, Education and Communication (ACEC), which implements it in Slovakia. Financial support has been provided by Bader Philanthropies.
The main media partner is Czech Television and news server Romea.cz is also a media partner of the awards. The Roma Spirit 2016 awards in the Czech Republic will be given for the following categories:
- Non-state, non-profit organization - for implementing a specific project aimed at developing and supporting the Romani minority and the results achieved, and for implementing a project aimed at after-school educational activities for Romani children and youth
- Company/firm/employer - for supporting projects aimed at social aid and support to the Romani community
- Muncipality/city - for programs focused on integrating members of the Romani minority into society and activities benefiting the Romani community
- Individaul - appreciation of an individual for long-term work that has contributed to improving the position of Romani people
- Media - appreciation of a journalist for reporting objective or positive information about Romani issues and contributing to a positive legacy of mutual tolerance and understanding in society
- Good Deed of the Year - for an action that contributed to saving a human life
- Romani culture - special category - appreciation for contributing to Romani culture in the area of language, oral literature, art (such as theater, film, photography, music, literature, dance, visual arts, song, etc.) and other creative activities by various communities and groups of Roma and Sinti in the Czech Republic. Activities that lead to the preservation, reproduction and further development of Roma and Sinti culture may also be appreciated (such as benefavtors, organizers of cultural events, etc.). Extraordinary cultural achievements may also be appreciated. The expert guarantor of this seventh category, Romani Culture, will once again be the Museum of Romani Culture.
- International competition for new memorial to the Holocaust and its Romani and Sinti victims in Czech Republic has seven finalists
- Czech lower house votes for new ombudsman, runoff to be held later today
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture's international competition for new memorial at former concentration camp receives 41 designs, exceeding organizers' expectations
- Romani community member becomes Miss Czech Republic
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin wins gold in Sarajevo
- ROMEA TV: Czech Republic's Gipsy Brothers band reminisces about 16 years of friendship
- Romani community member Edita Stejskalová recognized for her political engagement in the Czech Republic
- Winner of Czech-Slovak singing competition "The Voice" subjected to racist attacks online
- "America's Got Talent" invites Romani twins from Czech Republic to perform
- Czech Republic: Museum of Romani Culture announces photography competition
- Czech Republic: Romani secondary school students can apply for scholarships, deadline is 15 July
- Czech pop music contest says fans of xenophobic band have broken their rules