Romani activist Rudolf Zajda has passed away in the Czech Republic
The Romani activist and entrepreneur Rudolf Zajda passed away on the afternoon of 29 April at the age of 60 after a brief illness. His family has informed news server Romea.cz.
Mr Zajda was best known to the public as the chair of the Association of Romani Advisors in Brno, which offered unemployed Romani people many educational courses aiming to teach them foreign languages and the computer, business and management skills that could increase their chances on the labor market. "I just hope that our activities will succeed to such a degree that the Labor Offices and the town halls finally notice that Romani people do want to do something for their employability and that the willingness is here," he told Czech public radio's Romani program "O Roma vakeren" in 2005.
Mr Zajda was born on 23 June 1960 in Brno, Czechoslovakia. He earned a Bachelor's degree in andragogy (adult education) at the Jan Amos Comenius University in Prague.
During the 1990s and shortly after the year 2000 Mr Zajda was active politically. Just after the 1989 Velvet Revolution he ran in Brno as a candidate for the Roma Civic Initiative (ROI) and was a member of the International Romani Union (IRU).
In his free time Mr Zajda loved to read science fiction, non-fiction literature, studied philosophy and religion, and was an active devotee of karate. In his youth he represented the Czech Republic at the national level in that martial art.
After his active career ended, Mr Zajda trained children and youth in his free time. With the exception of two years in Canada, he spent his entire life in his native Brno.
Sincere condolences to his family and surviving loved ones.
- Petr Horváth, founder of the band Gipsy Sendy, has passed away at the age of 45 in Slovakia
- American author Paul Polansky has passed away
- Marcel Courthiade, linguist who dedicated himself to the emancipation of Roma and their language, has passed away
- Legendary Romani musician Rudolf Bagár has passed away
- Romani singer Věra Gondolánová has passed away
- Svatopluk Karásek, former Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner, politician, religious figure and songwriter, has passed away
- Rajko Djurić, academic, author and former president of the International Romani Union, has passed away
- Famous Roma Rights Activist László Bogdán Has Passed Away
- Romani activist, journalist, poet and translator Jan Döme Horváth has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Romani community member Stanislav Holomek has passed away in Germany
- Romani community member Jozef Facuna has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Last survivor of Czech students sent to Sachsenhausen concentration camp has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Romani musician Jan Surmaj has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Miroslav Kováč, former chair of the Equal Opportunities Party in the Czech Republic, has passed away after a long illness
- Věra Bílá, legendary singer from the Romani community, has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Czech Republic: Eva Davidová, an ethnographer who loved Romani people, has passed away
- Hungary: József "Choli" Daróczi, translator of the New Testament into Romanes, has passed away
- Czech Republic: Romani broadcaster and educator Hilda Pášová has passed away
- Eduard Oláh, sculptor and stonemason who designed memorial to the Romani victims of Hodonín concentration camp, has passed away
- Robert Gabris: The digital world just reproduces the real world, including its exclusion of otherness and its racism
- Romani kickboxer Václav Sivák of the Czech Republic wins again, holds the international WAKO Pro title a second time
- Slovak Defense Ministry gives Romani community member Richard Koky award for his contribution to fighting COVID-19, he calls on everyone to get vaccinated
- Tyson Fury, a.k.a. the "Gypsy King", has defended his title as boxing champion of the world
- Czech President Zeman visits school with Romani pupils as 2021/2022 school year begins
- Grandson of famous Czechoslovak partisan from the Romani community says his grandfather was a hero
- Ladislav Samek: It is hard to get rid of the label of "institutionalized child" in Czech society
- Romani activist Štefan Tišer has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Funeral for Jan Rác will take place tomorrow, Friday, 4 June, in Karviná, Czech Republic
- Funeral for Jiřina Šiklová to be held tomorrow in Prague
- Jan Rác, Romani activist and researcher, has passed away
- Czech Charter 77 signatory and sociologist Jiřina Šiklová has passed away, advocated for Romani equality