Romani band Bengas issues new video protesting racist attacks after performer moves away from the Czech Republic
Bengas, a Romani music group based in Prague, disagrees with the extreme politics against Romani people currently being promoted by many initiatives or even entire states. The band considers the pogroms and racist attacks underway against Romani people in the Czech Republic, Hungary, Italy, Slovakia and Ukraine to be absolutely unacceptable.
"We call on all democratic European politicians to clearly oppose these displays of intolerance against Romani people and to do everything they can to push the politicians of the states involved to correct the situation. We also call on all Romani people to engage in activism. Roma masoven!" Bengas writes in their statement accompanying the new video protesting racist violence against Romani people.
"As artists we must express our opinion loud and clear to the politicians about the current negative politics underway in some states. For that reason, we have chosen to record a Balkan folk song from our repertoire that clearly captures the terrible life of the Romani people," the band writes.
"This song is also a response to the fact that one of our band members, Vladimír Demeter, has moved away from the Czech Republic. One of the basic impulses for his doing so was to guarantee the safety of his children and offer them a democratic environment for their education," Bengas says.
"He wants his children to live in a country that does not decide about you based on your nationality or social background, but on the basis of your ability to succeed and be of benefit to society," the Romani musicians say. Bengas first formed in the autumn of the year 2001.
The band has performed at all of the leading festivals in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, elsewhere in Europe and the USA. When the internationally-renowned Gypsy Kings performed at Prague's T-mobile Arena, Bengas was their opening act.
- Ten years after the Czech neo-Nazi arson attack on her Romani family, Natálka still suffers from nightmares and pain
- Neo-Nazis from C14 group that assaults Roma march through Ukrainian capital celebrating ultra-nationalist historical figure
- Slovakia: Romani women giving birth allege they are subjected to physical violence, racism in hospitals
- Italian Police evict almost 400 Romani people from homes they have lived in since 2005, European Commission says it cannot take legal action
- Romania: 900 protest recent violence against Roma in Italy and Ukraine, more demonstrations in other European countries to follow
- Slovakia: Romani youth in critical condition after brutal racist attack, police say they see no racist motive and make racist remarks themselves
- Italy: Romani infant hospitalized after being shot with pellet gun
- Italy: Court in Rome convicts four perpetrators of 2011 pogrom on Romani camp in Turin
- Hungarian Scouts claim they did not discriminate against Romani applicants
- Ukraine: Third arson attack against Roma in a month, firearms also used against 7 adults, 30+ children
- Canada grants asylum to former MEP who faced death threats in Hungary due to her Romani origin
- BBC Three Documentary Exposes Human Rights Abuses In Hungary’s State-Care Homes
- Czech terrorist allegedly a fanatical supporter of ultra-right party who has attacked Romani people in the past
- ROMEA raises funds to support Czech school subjected to racist attacks online
- Hungary: Protests criticize Government, including over Roma integration
- Romania: Ethnic Hungarian mob commits arson against Romani children accused of stealing
- Hungary: 1 000 fans of Roma Pride march through Budapest, honor Romani revolutionaries
- Celebrity rejected by Czech real estate agency because of Romani surname: "It was a shock"
- Czech court returns to case of hateful online comments about non-"white" first-graders, but witnesses fail to appear
- Hungarian Supreme Court: Romani children deserve financial compensation for school segregation
- Ukraine: Racists attack Romani family of four, setting fire to their home and threatening a pregnant woman with rape
- Slovakia: Six more inhabitants of Romani settlement test positive for COVID-19, are relocated to facility
- Karolína Bánomová: Saste Roma – Info pal o koronavirus can be trusted about COVID-19, ignore the brainwashing conspiracy theories
- Commentary: CNN Prima begins its Czech-language broadcasting with stereotypes about Romani people
- Patrik Banga: Police officer who beat Romani children in Slovakia must be fired, he relied on "cigoši" not complaining
- Slovak President asks for explanation of incident in which police officer brutalized young children in Romani settlement
- Slovak police officer said to have beaten five Romani children in Krompachy settlement and threatened to shoot them
- Romani woman with Harvard PhD calls Czech racist landlord over his antigypsyist advertisement
- Czech media falsely accuse Romani mourners of breaking the law after cemetery employee calls police