Romani community member becomes Miss Czech Republic
The new Miss Czech Republic has been announced, and the winner is 20-year-old Nikola Kokyová of Kolín. Sára Lyčková of Fulnek came in second and Domča Benáková, who lives in Hradec Králové, took third place.
"I can't even describe what my reaction was when they announced my name. I did not anticipate it at all. Things went dark before my eyes, I almost don't know who gave me what after that or what was happening around me. I can't describe it, it was a miracle from heaven. Thank you for that," Kokyová told the daily Deník.cz publication, adding that now she would like to start a career as a model.
"I hope this will open the door to a modeling career for me, that I will work in fashion shows and meet interesting people and designers. I'm looking forward to that," Miss Czech Republic said.
"I know that many things in my life will change now. However, I am convinced that I personally will not change much," Kokyová said after her triumph.
Cyril Koky, the father of the new Miss Czech Republic, has worked since 2003 as a specialist officer in the area of national minorities at the Central Bohemian Regional Authority and told the media that he is also glad about his daughter's success. "I was not very enthusiastic about her competing, it was a big time investment for her. What wouldn't a father do for his only daughter, though - I congratulate her, it's a fine success," he told Denik.cz, adding that what he wants above all is for his daughter to graduate from university.
- Romani girl who won race in Slovakia while running in flats keeps on winning
- Russian social network blocks "Miss Hitler" beauty contest after Israeli media contact
- Slovakia: Girl from impoverished Romani family wins race running in flats
- Hungary: Romani duo from Slovakia win the "X Factor" music competition
- Romania: Romani Actresses Shine a Spotlight on Feminism
- Romani fashion designer wins one million Czech crowns, will launch brand
- Belgian edition of TV competition "The Voice" won by 13-year-old Romani girl from Slovakia
- Romani fashion designer wins international competition in the USA
- US Professor Ian Hancock on the Miss Roma competition: Romani girls do not need to sell their beauty
- Commentary: Romipen is democratic, enriching not just Romani people but Czech society, Europe and the world
- Czech town provides no aid as Romani families are made homeless during COVID-19 pandemic
- Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic keeps winning with "Gitano" on his back and the Romani flag on his shorts
- Romani film festival in Berlin gives special recognition to film about removing pig farm from WWII-era concentration camp site in Czech Republic
- Miss Czech Republic, who is Romani, wins title of "Miss Elegance" and is now in the top 15 of the Miss Globe 2020 beauty competition
- Romani candidate for Czech Senate will not advance to the second round, but scores better than his extremist opponents
- Czech Senate election: Romani candidate says right-wing extremists could take power unless people vote for their competitors
- Forbes.cz: Romani celebrity Monika Bagárová is the third most influential person on Czech Instagram
- In one Czech Senate race, the "private individual vs. bureaucrat" distinction is being drawn
- Czech Pirate Party chair on Romani candidates: We're not addressing a "Romani issue", we're addressing all of society together with Romani people
- International competition for new memorial to the Holocaust and its Romani and Sinti victims in Czech Republic has seven finalists
- Czech lower house votes for new ombudsman, runoff to be held later today
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture's international competition for new memorial at former concentration camp receives 41 designs, exceeding organizers' expectations