Romani doctor in the Czech Republic: This work is enormously meaningful during the COVID-19 pandemic
Jakub Jarý studied general medicine at the Faculty of Medicine in Plzeň, Czech Republic. Currently he works as a doctor in an Infectious Diseases ward in Ústí nad Labem.
Dr Jarý perceives his work to be a calling. He chose medicine because it is a field in which he can provide aid to others, be of benefit to them, and at the same time return the assistance provided to him by several foundations during his studies.
During this time of quarantine, his profession is among the most valuable to society. "It's not necessary for general members of the public to use the highest-quality respirators now. Those are reserved for us doctors because we are in close contact with patients. As far as the common activities of shopping and traveling on public transportation go, I believe any covering of the mouth and nose makes sense, it's not just some sort of redundant regulation," he explains when asked about the requirement to cover one's mouth and nose in public during the state of emergency.
"The fact that we doctors are limited in our physical movements because we are now wearing protective suits does not mean we will examine patients less well than if we did not have to wear the suit," Dr Jarý said. He discussed what it is like for physicians to work during quarantine with Richard Samko in an interview for ROMEA TV.
- Disinformation about COVID-19 in Czech first spread from Russian server, according to new analysis
- Czech bill would make it possible to apply for unemployment benefits electronically in order to prevent COVID-19 spread
- Czech bill would prevent evictions due to nonpayment of rent during COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech primary schools begin first-grade enrollment, children not present due to COVID-19 restrictions
- Czech Agency for Social Inclusion director gives interview about state support during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Romani residents of Czech town organize collection for child welfare NGO to fight COVID-19, dozens pitch in
- Romani doctor urges community in the Czech Republic to prevent COVID-19 from spreading
- Romani entrepreneurs bring gifts to hospital staff in Czech town during COVID-19
- Romani residents of Czech housing estate thank those battling COVID-19 with hearts in windows
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner: Nonprofits are irreplaceable in combating COVID-19
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- Czech Republic: Two Romani women sew 1000+ face masks for the indigent and seniors
- Busting the COVID-19 myths circulating in Czech
- Romani doctor in Czech Republic will get vaccinated and is disturbed by COVID-19 disinformation
- Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic keeps winning with "Gitano" on his back and the Romani flag on his shorts
- Commentary: Senator infamous for antigypsyist remarks about the "cikánská question" joins regional party in the Czech Republic
- Slovak Govt Roma Plenipotentiary says Romani community rates of COVID-19 infection the same as majority-society rates
- Rajko Djurić, academic, author and former president of the International Romani Union, has passed away
- Young Roma in the Czech Republic call on community to protect themselves from COVID-19 and not believe everything they read online
- Romani musician in Czech Republic regrets believing COVID-19 was fake now that he's had it
- Romani journalists in Czech Republic call on community to uphold measures against pandemic
- Pirate Party candidate for Governor of a Czech region from the Romani community says social exclusion has been ignored for 30 years
- Czech town to see exhibition by pro-Romani and Romani artists referencing the Black Lives Matter movement
- Forbes.cz: Romani celebrity Monika Bagárová is the third most influential person on Czech Instagram
- Czech local zones to cancel housing benefits create more poverty, the biggest one is Ústí nad Labem