Romani doctor urges community in the Czech Republic to prevent COVID-19 from spreading
Jakub Jarý is a Romani doctor who is working daily in the Infectious Diseases Ward at a local hospital in the Czech Republic examining the dozens of people suspected of COVID-19 infection in his area. The DROM, Romani Center organization has posted a video to its Facebook profile in which Dr. Jarý thanks everybody in the Romani community who is respecting the state's instructions to prevent dissemination of the disease.
"As a Romani doctor, I would like to reach out to our community in particular," Jarý says in the video."I am asking you all to comply with the prescribed anti-epidemic measures and regulations."
"One of the most-appreciated characteristics of the Romani community is how much we love our family and closest friends," the doctor says. "For that reason, I'd like to ask you all: If we have to go outdoors, then let's wear our face masks, and let's not gather in clusters of multiple people, not on the street and not at home."
"Right now is a time when we all can demonstrate to everybody else that we know how to pull together and that we are valid members of this society who must be counted on," the doctor says. "I would very much like to thank everybody who is respecting the regulations and following them and setting a good example for those around them."
"I'm wishing you all a good rest of the day and a lot of strength and tenacity during this difficult time," Dr Jarý closes. DROM also posted that "It is an honor for us that we were able to support Jakub during his studies through the VERDA Foundation."
- Romani entrepreneurs bring gifts to hospital staff in Czech town during COVID-19
- Romani residents of Czech housing estate thank those battling COVID-19 with hearts in windows
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner: Nonprofits are irreplaceable in combating COVID-19
- Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe rapporteur: Instead of aiding Romani people during COVID-19, some European politicians are promoting antigypsyism
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- Čeněk Růžička: Traditional commemoration for Romani victims of the Holocaust is postponed due to COVID-19
- EUobserver on how anti-Roma racism is being exploited during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Busting the COVID-19 myths circulating in Czech
- Scientists confirm COVID-19 evolved in nature
- EU reports that Russia has launched a disinformation campaign about COVID-19
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- Czech portal chcipomoct.cz connects those who need aid with volunteers during COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech socially excluded localities see limited services due to COVID-19, nonprofit staffers lack protective gear
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- COMMENTARY: Romale, Bill Gates does not want to track you, vaccinations against COVID-19 will not kill you and do not involve microchips
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- Czech Pirates criticize Govt report on education of Romani children for not reflecting COVID-19 impact and lack of access to distance learning
- MEP Peter Pollák, a Romani community member from Slovakia, posts footage of his vaccination against COVID-19 to combat conspiracy theories influencing the community
- The other Czech pandemic: Disinformation about anti-COVID vaccination. Romea.cz refutes the most frequent hoaxes and manipulations
- Slovak quarantine measures in Romani settlement are over, police and soldiers no longer on guard there
- Fundraiser underway in Czech Republic for Romani taxi driver who was one of the country's first serious COVID-19 patients
- Slovakia closes Romani settlement because of COVID-19, police and soldiers deployed
- During Czech COVID-19 pandemic, NGO distributes more than 80 laptops to Romani students for distance learning