Romani doctor urges community in the Czech Republic to prevent COVID-19 from spreading
Jakub Jarý is a Romani doctor who is working daily in the Infectious Diseases Ward at a local hospital in the Czech Republic examining the dozens of people suspected of COVID-19 infection in his area. The DROM, Romani Center organization has posted a video to its Facebook profile in which Dr. Jarý thanks everybody in the Romani community who is respecting the state's instructions to prevent dissemination of the disease.
"As a Romani doctor, I would like to reach out to our community in particular," Jarý says in the video."I am asking you all to comply with the prescribed anti-epidemic measures and regulations."
"One of the most-appreciated characteristics of the Romani community is how much we love our family and closest friends," the doctor says. "For that reason, I'd like to ask you all: If we have to go outdoors, then let's wear our face masks, and let's not gather in clusters of multiple people, not on the street and not at home."
"Right now is a time when we all can demonstrate to everybody else that we know how to pull together and that we are valid members of this society who must be counted on," the doctor says. "I would very much like to thank everybody who is respecting the regulations and following them and setting a good example for those around them."
"I'm wishing you all a good rest of the day and a lot of strength and tenacity during this difficult time," Dr Jarý closes. DROM also posted that "It is an honor for us that we were able to support Jakub during his studies through the VERDA Foundation."
- Romani entrepreneurs bring gifts to hospital staff in Czech town during COVID-19
- Romani residents of Czech housing estate thank those battling COVID-19 with hearts in windows
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner: Nonprofits are irreplaceable in combating COVID-19
- Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe rapporteur: Instead of aiding Romani people during COVID-19, some European politicians are promoting antigypsyism
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- Čeněk Růžička: Traditional commemoration for Romani victims of the Holocaust is postponed due to COVID-19
- EUobserver on how anti-Roma racism is being exploited during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Busting the COVID-19 myths circulating in Czech
- Scientists confirm COVID-19 evolved in nature
- EU reports that Russia has launched a disinformation campaign about COVID-19
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- Czech portal chcipomoct.cz connects those who need aid with volunteers during COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech socially excluded localities see limited services due to COVID-19, nonprofit staffers lack protective gear
- Doctor in Slovakia refuses treatment to Romani toddler because his mother was unvaccinated, he died shortly thereafter
- Zeljko Jovanovic: Low COVID-19 immunization rate among the European Roma is the result of decades of government neglect
- Czech mobile vaccination teams revisit socially excluded localities where COVID-19 disinformation has had more of an impact
- Family turns to crowdfunding for daughter's post-brain surgery recovery, Czech insurance doesn't cover therapy that gets results
- Austria's Die Presse: Covert racism is why Europe's Roma are worse off after COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech mobile team has vaccinated about 100 people against COVID-19 at the Mojžíř housing estate and will visit other excluded localities
- Czech mobile vaccination teams visit excluded localities in Ostrava-Přívoz, Regional Authority working with Romani NGOs on outreach
- Romani-inhabited housing estate Luník IX in Slovakia sees start of local vaccinations against COVID-19
- In the Czech Republic, mobile teams have begun vaccinating people against COVID-19 in socially excluded localities
- Commentary: David Mezei, false prophet, and the Romani elite of the Czech Republic
- Czech attorney for the family of Stanislav Tomáš has requested a second autopsy - Romea.cz refutes disinformation being spread by Facebook LIVE broadcasters
- Czech tornado has left many homeless, including Romani widow with six children