Romani fashion designer Pavel Berky joins the top 16 round of the Czech edition of the MasterChef competition
Pavel Berky, a successful fashion designer from the Romani community, has been trying his luck in the Czech edition of the MasterChef cooking competition (MasterChef Česko). His duck breast with potatoes and "barbecue" with duck paté captivated the casting jurors to such an extent that they sent him straight to the Top 16 group.
"I am grateful to the jurors for believing in me to such a degree that they have made it possible for me to be the first contestant to enter the Top 16 directly, skipping the demanding competition in the preceding rounds! It's an unreal feeling for me to stand in the kitchen of the MasterChef show. The last time I experienced anything similar was when I got the opportunity to present my collection as part of New York Fashion Week, which was a longtime dream of mine," Berky posted to his Instagram profile.
The uncompromising jury of chefs Přemek Forejt, Radek Kašpárek and Jan Punčochář were convinced by Berky's ability to combine his designer's touch for presentation with the perfect preparation of an original dish. After a moment of tension, the jurors unanimously decided to sent their first favorite immediately into the final round of the 16 best contestants, where Berky will be able to compete for the MasterChef Czech Republic title.
Berky was born in Rimavská Sobota, Slovakia. He has achieved many successes in his career to date.
During his studies Berky established a collaboration with the Veba firm, which exports bed linens and fabric to Africa. He has presented his own collections in Bratislava, Budapest, London and New York.
In 2016 Berky won an American competition in Salt Lake City and was therefore able to present his collection one year later as part of New York Fashion Week. That same year he won as part of a Czech project for young clothing brands "The Way", and gained support for the development of his own label.
- Monika Kokyová on MasterChef: I want to show my ideas
- Fashion designer Pavel Berky prevails with humility and talent over experiences of homophobia and racist assault
- Grand opening of "slow fashion" shop in Prague will be broadcast live online by ROMEA 25 October
- Romani fashion designer wins one million Czech crowns, will launch brand
- Czech Republic: Romani student meeting visited by fashion designer Pavel Berky
- Czech Republic: Successful Romani hairdresser launches fashion designs
- Pavel Berky: I draw inspiration from my origins and prefer to sew my designs myself
- Romani fashion designer wins international competition in the USA
- Romani community in third-largest Czech city donates truckload of vitamins to hospital in gratitude for their work during COVID-19
- Romani celebrities in Czech Republic with COVID-19 use social media to warn others, but will they be believed?
- Civil society skeptical as to whether EU Member States will align with European Commission's 10-year Roma Strategy
- European Commission VP Věra Jourová: Not enough was done during the last decade for Roma, the EC is launching a new 10-year plan
- Commentary: What are the Romani candidates running for the fascists in the Czech Republic thinking?
- Romani candidate in Czech regional elections says politicians don't have to be corrupt
- Czech capital to see new Center for the Roma and Sinti, meant to serve the general public
- Commentary: The Czech and Slovak Romani community on the battlefield that is Facebook
- UK: Thousands of Czech citizens, mainly Roma, don't have the documents they need to apply for settled status
- Czech ceremony commemorating Romani prisoners sent to Auschwitz on 20 August attended by more than 150 people
- Tomáš Ščuka: Czech ombudsman's opinions just confirm his incompetence
- Czech Public Defender of Rights says he is against "special treatment" for Romani people