Romani fashion designer Pavel Berky joins the top 16 round of the Czech edition of the MasterChef competition
Pavel Berky, a successful fashion designer from the Romani community, has been trying his luck in the Czech edition of the MasterChef cooking competition (MasterChef Česko). His duck breast with potatoes and "barbecue" with duck paté captivated the casting jurors to such an extent that they sent him straight to the Top 16 group.
"I am grateful to the jurors for believing in me to such a degree that they have made it possible for me to be the first contestant to enter the Top 16 directly, skipping the demanding competition in the preceding rounds! It's an unreal feeling for me to stand in the kitchen of the MasterChef show. The last time I experienced anything similar was when I got the opportunity to present my collection as part of New York Fashion Week, which was a longtime dream of mine," Berky posted to his Instagram profile.
The uncompromising jury of chefs Přemek Forejt, Radek Kašpárek and Jan Punčochář were convinced by Berky's ability to combine his designer's touch for presentation with the perfect preparation of an original dish. After a moment of tension, the jurors unanimously decided to sent their first favorite immediately into the final round of the 16 best contestants, where Berky will be able to compete for the MasterChef Czech Republic title.
Berky was born in Rimavská Sobota, Slovakia. He has achieved many successes in his career to date.
During his studies Berky established a collaboration with the Veba firm, which exports bed linens and fabric to Africa. He has presented his own collections in Bratislava, Budapest, London and New York.
In 2016 Berky won an American competition in Salt Lake City and was therefore able to present his collection one year later as part of New York Fashion Week. That same year he won as part of a Czech project for young clothing brands "The Way", and gained support for the development of his own label.
- Monika Kokyová on MasterChef: I want to show my ideas
- Fashion designer Pavel Berky prevails with humility and talent over experiences of homophobia and racist assault
- Grand opening of "slow fashion" shop in Prague will be broadcast live online by ROMEA 25 October
- Romani fashion designer wins one million Czech crowns, will launch brand
- Czech Republic: Romani student meeting visited by fashion designer Pavel Berky
- Czech Republic: Successful Romani hairdresser launches fashion designs
- Pavel Berky: I draw inspiration from my origins and prefer to sew my designs myself
- Romani fashion designer wins international competition in the USA
- Slovakia: New Plenipotentiary for Roma to be Andrea Bučková
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- Slovak NGOs demand crisis plan from Govt to prevent COVID-19 pandemic in Romani communities, ombudswoman supports them
- France: Four Romani community members die of COVID-19, others are in critical condition
- North Macedonia selects just Romani people crossing the border for quarantine in unhygienic conditions
- Slovakia's TV Romana to be carried by the Orange TV satellite network
- Author raising a Romani child says Czech Public Defender of Rights is racist and evil is slowly winning
- Museum of Romani Culture to present its project for a Center of the Roma and Sinti in the Czech capital
- Hungarian PM announces "national consultation" about whether to compensate Romani families whose children were educated in segregated settings
- Czech bookstore fires clerk for racially insulting Romani colleague on social media
- Irena Biháriová: I will not let the extremists own the streets
- German academic institution to hold seminar on the influence of ethnic discrimination on Romani health