Romani girl attempts suicide after bullying at her primary school in Czech town
A pupil in the eighth grade of the Slovanka Primary School in the town of Česká Lípa has attempted suicide because her fellow pupils bullied her. It is likely that they picked on her because of her Romani origin.
"It began with insults because of what I look like and what I am. They said I am a shitty gypsy," the girl, who has Romani forebears on her father's side, told TV NOVA.
"I did my best not to worry about it, not to react to them, but I couldn't ignore it any more," said the girl, who eventually attempted suicide in the restroom by cutting herself. The press spokesperson for the local police, Ivana Baláková, confirmed that police have investigated the circumstances of the minor causing herself the cutting injuries.
Given the girl's age, however, no further information will be provided by the authorities. "The boys [who bullied her] have had their grades lowered and been given rehabilitation measures. They are actually under the microscope not just of the school management, but of the homeroom teachers. A reprimand from the principal and low grades for behavior will not work on 80 % of children, though, sometimes the children see it as proof of their superiority," school principal Václav Špetlík told tn.cz.
The principal believes it would aid primary schools if they could introduce conditional expulsion, which is possible at secondary schools. The school management has done its best to convince the pupils' parents to withdraw them from the school, but the parents disagreed with that option.
"Even though all the bureaucrats and experts see it differently, the final decision is up to the parents and just the parents," the principal said. Instead, the bullied girl is the one who has withdrawn from the school.
"At the end of the school year she had top grades. Those boys? They're lucky to get by at all," the girl's mother told tn.cz.
- Czech school targeted with hate over its non-white first-graders last year receives donation of laptop computers
- Young Czech journalist: School didn't teach me not to generalize, I had to learn that on my own
- First-graders from Czech school subjected to racist attacks online receive tablets thanks to ROMEA's fundraising drive
- Czech region where evictions are underway keeps rejecting plans to subsidize lunches for impoverished schoolchildren
- Professor Iulius Rostas about school segregation: "Bad not only for Roma children, but for the whole society"
- Director of Terezín Initiative Institute says Czech schools don't teach enough about Romani people
- Czech Republic: Activists sentenced for stunt to draw attention to a suicide say police made hateful, racist remarks
- Czech Republic: Theater as a victory over bullying and racism
- Activists ask Brussels to stop bullying of Romani children in the Czech schools
- Romani transgender man, famous as subject of Czechoslovak film, commits suicide
- Analysis: Trial of violent death of Romani man at hands of Czech Police involves witness suicide attempt
- Czech Republic: Landlord of Romani locality on Přednádraží street attempts suicide
- Czech Police not yet ruling out possible suicide in judge's death
- Czech Police say man and woman who committed racist attack against Romani children should be prosecuted
- Czech court overturns acquittal for author of racist online comments, prosecution will continue
- Czech ice hockey friendly goes uncompleted after fans racially abuse Romani player and his team stops play in protest
- European Roma Rights Centre gives legal aid to victims alleging Slovak police brutality
- Slovakia: Video of police intervention against Roma at gas station goes viral, sparks protests
- Czech politicians react to Communist MP's false allegation that honoring the Roma victims of Nazism has raised the price of pork
- Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini faces criticism for calling Romani woman a "dirty gypsy"
- French court convicts six arsonists of attack on Romani people
- Czech court says use of force in response to racist abuse was proportionate, prosecutor appeals
- Slovak homeowner considers selling to Roma, so his neighbors graffiti his house and puncture his tires
- Czech MP says his assistant's remark that refugees could be killed with machine guns does not bother him
- French lawmaker, victimized herself by online hate, drafts law against it