Romani girl attempts suicide after bullying at her primary school in Czech town
A pupil in the eighth grade of the Slovanka Primary School in the town of Česká Lípa has attempted suicide because her fellow pupils bullied her. It is likely that they picked on her because of her Romani origin.
"It began with insults because of what I look like and what I am. They said I am a shitty gypsy," the girl, who has Romani forebears on her father's side, told TV NOVA.
"I did my best not to worry about it, not to react to them, but I couldn't ignore it any more," said the girl, who eventually attempted suicide in the restroom by cutting herself. The press spokesperson for the local police, Ivana Baláková, confirmed that police have investigated the circumstances of the minor causing herself the cutting injuries.
Given the girl's age, however, no further information will be provided by the authorities. "The boys [who bullied her] have had their grades lowered and been given rehabilitation measures. They are actually under the microscope not just of the school management, but of the homeroom teachers. A reprimand from the principal and low grades for behavior will not work on 80 % of children, though, sometimes the children see it as proof of their superiority," school principal Václav Špetlík told tn.cz.
The principal believes it would aid primary schools if they could introduce conditional expulsion, which is possible at secondary schools. The school management has done its best to convince the pupils' parents to withdraw them from the school, but the parents disagreed with that option.
"Even though all the bureaucrats and experts see it differently, the final decision is up to the parents and just the parents," the principal said. Instead, the bullied girl is the one who has withdrawn from the school.
"At the end of the school year she had top grades. Those boys? They're lucky to get by at all," the girl's mother told tn.cz.
- Czech school targeted with hate over its non-white first-graders last year receives donation of laptop computers
- Young Czech journalist: School didn't teach me not to generalize, I had to learn that on my own
- First-graders from Czech school subjected to racist attacks online receive tablets thanks to ROMEA's fundraising drive
- Czech region where evictions are underway keeps rejecting plans to subsidize lunches for impoverished schoolchildren
- Professor Iulius Rostas about school segregation: "Bad not only for Roma children, but for the whole society"
- Director of Terezín Initiative Institute says Czech schools don't teach enough about Romani people
- Czech Republic: Activists sentenced for stunt to draw attention to a suicide say police made hateful, racist remarks
- Czech Republic: Theater as a victory over bullying and racism
- Activists ask Brussels to stop bullying of Romani children in the Czech schools
- Romani transgender man, famous as subject of Czechoslovak film, commits suicide
- Analysis: Trial of violent death of Romani man at hands of Czech Police involves witness suicide attempt
- France refuses return to deported Romani girl, she threatens suicide
- Czech Republic: Landlord of Romani locality on Přednádraží street attempts suicide
- Czech Police not yet ruling out possible suicide in judge's death
- Slovak homeowner considers selling to Roma, so his neighbors graffiti his house and puncture his tires
- Czech MP says his assistant's remark that refugees could be killed with machine guns does not bother him
- French lawmaker, victimized herself by online hate, drafts law against it
- USA: Neo-Nazi gets life in prison for the Charlottesville massacre
- Slovak court grants early release to vigilante who murdered three Roma at their home, prosecutor complains
- Czech Police investigating hateful online comments inciting violence against Czech Radio reporter that were sparked by politician
- UK court sentences neo-Nazis for threats against Prince Harry because of his marriage to Meghan Markle
- Czech politician appeals sentence for his hateful remarks about minorities
- Czech prosecutor appeals after court acquits online hater of saying dark-skinned first-graders should be gassed to death
- Czech restaurant chain apologizes to Romani musician for refusal of service
- Czech town sees street fight, mayor writes about the "gypsy nuisance" - then ignores other violence involving non-Romani people
- Czech candidate shocked when online haters targeted her two-year-old