Romani girl attempts suicide after bullying at her primary school in Czech town
A pupil in the eighth grade of the Slovanka Primary School in the town of Česká Lípa has attempted suicide because her fellow pupils bullied her. It is likely that they picked on her because of her Romani origin.
"It began with insults because of what I look like and what I am. They said I am a shitty gypsy," the girl, who has Romani forebears on her father's side, told TV NOVA.
"I did my best not to worry about it, not to react to them, but I couldn't ignore it any more," said the girl, who eventually attempted suicide in the restroom by cutting herself. The press spokesperson for the local police, Ivana Baláková, confirmed that police have investigated the circumstances of the minor causing herself the cutting injuries.
Given the girl's age, however, no further information will be provided by the authorities. "The boys [who bullied her] have had their grades lowered and been given rehabilitation measures. They are actually under the microscope not just of the school management, but of the homeroom teachers. A reprimand from the principal and low grades for behavior will not work on 80 % of children, though, sometimes the children see it as proof of their superiority," school principal Václav Špetlík told tn.cz.
The principal believes it would aid primary schools if they could introduce conditional expulsion, which is possible at secondary schools. The school management has done its best to convince the pupils' parents to withdraw them from the school, but the parents disagreed with that option.
"Even though all the bureaucrats and experts see it differently, the final decision is up to the parents and just the parents," the principal said. Instead, the bullied girl is the one who has withdrawn from the school.
"At the end of the school year she had top grades. Those boys? They're lucky to get by at all," the girl's mother told tn.cz.
- Czech school targeted with hate over its non-white first-graders last year receives donation of laptop computers
- Young Czech journalist: School didn't teach me not to generalize, I had to learn that on my own
- First-graders from Czech school subjected to racist attacks online receive tablets thanks to ROMEA's fundraising drive
- Czech region where evictions are underway keeps rejecting plans to subsidize lunches for impoverished schoolchildren
- Professor Iulius Rostas about school segregation: "Bad not only for Roma children, but for the whole society"
- Director of Terezín Initiative Institute says Czech schools don't teach enough about Romani people
- Czech Republic: Activists sentenced for stunt to draw attention to a suicide say police made hateful, racist remarks
- Czech Republic: Theater as a victory over bullying and racism
- Activists ask Brussels to stop bullying of Romani children in the Czech schools
- Romani transgender man, famous as subject of Czechoslovak film, commits suicide
- Analysis: Trial of violent death of Romani man at hands of Czech Police involves witness suicide attempt
- France refuses return to deported Romani girl, she threatens suicide
- Czech Republic: Landlord of Romani locality on Přednádraží street attempts suicide
- Czech Police not yet ruling out possible suicide in judge's death
- Slovakia: Romani women giving birth allege they are subjected to physical violence, racism in hospitals
- New comedy series on Czech public television to feature crude humor, racist remarks and vulgar language
- Slovakia: Four Romani girls and their mother die in house fire, police investigate racist comments about the news on their own Facebook page
- Czech prosecutor to review police decision not to charge politicians over remarks about Romani genocide site
- Czech ultra-right extremists plan to commemorate 10th anniversary of their attempted pogrom on Romani people
- Czech Constitutional Court receives complaint about election campaign, proposals for "fertilization" of "gypsies" recur in local media discussion
- Czech trial of racist assault on Prague tram: Eyewitnesses can still come forward, next hearing in January
- Commentary: Czech President Zeman's racism and Romani people
- Monika Mihaličková: Czech President should take a look in the mirror and give himself a slap - "gypsy" is an insulting term
- Czech court fines seven racists for approving of the murder of a Romani man, but one is appealing - for the publicity
- Hungarian Supreme Court says camerawoman who kicked asylum-seekers committed misdemeanor and can no longer be prosecuted
- Czech Constitutional Court president: Ethnic and national self-centeredness and xenophobia are a threat to Europe