Romani ice hockey player beats junior league record in Czech playoffs
News server Hokej.cz reports that Dominik Lakatoš, the ice hockey player from Liberec who plays for the local Bílé Tygry (White Tigers) team there, has scored 13 points - eight goals and five assists - during the 14 matches of the Generali playoffs in the Tipsport Extraliga. That historical achievement beats the previous junior record for points scored during the Czech ice hockey playoffs.
Lakatoš is a remarkably talented player who has now, at the age of 20, scored more points by this time in the playoffs than Milan Hejduk, Tomáš Hertl, or David Výborný ever did. "Dominik is playing a brilliant season, he's getting better and better. He is, in my personal opinion, a candidate for the national team," said Filip Pešán, the trainer for the Bílé Tygry.
The Romani player lost a shot at the junior championship in January due to an injury but scored four points in the quarter-finals against Plzeň, six points in the semi-finals against Chomutov, and made his statistical mark in both of the matches at home against Kometa. On Saturday he scored two goals and was named the team's Best Player.
"I am glad that I got the chance to be in the playoffs. However, this is not just about me. It's about the kind of room I'm being given and the kind of teammates I have," Lakatoš told Hokej.cz.
- Czech Republic: Romani ice hockey player Dominik Lakatoš is rookie of the year
- Czech Republic: Art is fined, but flags defaced by sports fans don't bother bureacrats
- Bizarre Czech mixed martial arts pay-per-view program "Clash of the Stars" features fighter with criminal record who spouts antigypsyist rhetoric
- Romani kickboxer Václav Sivák unequivocally wins the Oktagon Underground MMA fight in a packed O2 Arena in the Czech Republic
- Tyson Fury, a.k.a. "The Gypsy King", again defends his boxing title as world champion
- In Russian debut, Romani kickboxer Sivák of the Czech Republic brilliantly delivers victory over Russian fighter Mikhailov
- Czech martial arts organization Oktagon MMA bans contestant because of Hitler tattoo
- Dominik Oračko, Romani weightlifter, given regional honor in the Czech Republic
- Pope Francis receives Romani footballers, including Jaroslav Horváth and Lukáš Pulko of the Czech Republic, ahead of friendly match
- Romani kickboxer Václav Sivák of the Czech Republic wins again, holds the international WAKO Pro title a second time
- Czech MMA fighter Cverna challenges bodybuilder who insulted Romani people
- Czech MMA fighter exploits media attention of his win to insult Romani people, then claims he is "not a racist"
- Popular Romani musician Rytmus to box Gábor Boráros in Slovakia
- Tyson Fury, a.k.a. the "Gypsy King", has defended his title as boxing champion of the world