Romani ice hockey player beats junior league record in Czech playoffs
News server Hokej.cz reports that Dominik Lakatoš, the ice hockey player from Liberec who plays for the local Bílé Tygry (White Tigers) team there, has scored 13 points - eight goals and five assists - during the 14 matches of the Generali playoffs in the Tipsport Extraliga. That historical achievement beats the previous junior record for points scored during the Czech ice hockey playoffs.
Lakatoš is a remarkably talented player who has now, at the age of 20, scored more points by this time in the playoffs than Milan Hejduk, Tomáš Hertl, or David Výborný ever did. "Dominik is playing a brilliant season, he's getting better and better. He is, in my personal opinion, a candidate for the national team," said Filip Pešán, the trainer for the Bílé Tygry.
The Romani player lost a shot at the junior championship in January due to an injury but scored four points in the quarter-finals against Plzeň, six points in the semi-finals against Chomutov, and made his statistical mark in both of the matches at home against Kometa. On Saturday he scored two goals and was named the team's Best Player.
"I am glad that I got the chance to be in the playoffs. However, this is not just about me. It's about the kind of room I'm being given and the kind of teammates I have," Lakatoš told Hokej.cz.
- Czech politician and sports figure convicted of buying Romani votes
- Czech children's sports team called "Cyklon B" played a Romani team last weekend, organizers apologize
- Czech Republic: Romani ice hockey player Dominik Lakatoš is rookie of the year
- Czech Republic: Art is fined, but flags defaced by sports fans don't bother bureacrats
- Slovak ironworks prefers to hire Romani citizens instead of foreign nationals
- Czech Govt Agency for Social Inclusion introduces itself to Romani coordinators in South Moravia
- Interview with Czech and European kickbox champion from the Romani community, Václav Sivák
- Czech Youth Olympics team has its first medal - Romani community can be proud of the record-setting performance too
- Slovakia: Girl from impoverished Romani family wins race running in flats
- Italian Police evict almost 400 Romani people from homes they have lived in since 2005, European Commission says it cannot take legal action
- Czech Republic: Romani Student Movement says Roma must be involved in addressing affairs that affect them
- Czech Public Defender of Rights calls for social housing law, says media should stop blaming Roma
- Belgium: Roma Travellers evicted from caravan site in Anderlecht neighborhood of Brussels
- Czech state funding for nonprofits goes mostly to social policy and sports
- Tomáš Bystrý: The Czech national anthem gives me chills
- Czech Labor Minister praises container housing in Romani ghetto