Romani ice hockey player beats junior league record in Czech playoffs
News server Hokej.cz reports that Dominik Lakatoš, the ice hockey player from Liberec who plays for the local Bílé Tygry (White Tigers) team there, has scored 13 points - eight goals and five assists - during the 14 matches of the Generali playoffs in the Tipsport Extraliga. That historical achievement beats the previous junior record for points scored during the Czech ice hockey playoffs.
Lakatoš is a remarkably talented player who has now, at the age of 20, scored more points by this time in the playoffs than Milan Hejduk, Tomáš Hertl, or David Výborný ever did. "Dominik is playing a brilliant season, he's getting better and better. He is, in my personal opinion, a candidate for the national team," said Filip Pešán, the trainer for the Bílé Tygry.
The Romani player lost a shot at the junior championship in January due to an injury but scored four points in the quarter-finals against Plzeň, six points in the semi-finals against Chomutov, and made his statistical mark in both of the matches at home against Kometa. On Saturday he scored two goals and was named the team's Best Player.
"I am glad that I got the chance to be in the playoffs. However, this is not just about me. It's about the kind of room I'm being given and the kind of teammates I have," Lakatoš told Hokej.cz.
- Czech politician and sports figure convicted of buying Romani votes
- Czech children's sports team called "Cyklon B" played a Romani team last weekend, organizers apologize
- Czech Republic: Romani ice hockey player Dominik Lakatoš is rookie of the year
- Academic Huub van Baar has found Romani people succeed on the labor market when given a chance
- Czech Ice Hockey Union fines club because its fans called Romani player a "gypsy", cites World Romani Congress
- Norway: Oslo City Council wants to ask Government for a memorial to Holocaust victims of Romani origin
- Scholars gather in Czech capital to discuss migrations and mobilities of Romani people
- Czech ice hockey friendly goes uncompleted after fans racially abuse Romani player and his team stops play in protest
- Czech town sees its first-ever Romani music festival
- Slovakia: Romani girl from settlement now champion runner in her region
- Czech senior citizen threatens arson against Romani neighbors for playing loud music
- England: Czech emigré of Romani origin establishes boxing team for children from the Czech Republic and Slovakia
- UK boxer of Irish Traveller origin Tyson Fury met his fans in Prague
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin to compete next week at MMA gala in Prague
- High schoolers in the Czech capital don't discuss minorities, poll finds they distrust media and politicians