Romani junior weightlifter wins three gold medals for the Czech Republic in youth championship held online because of COVID-19
Romani community member Dominik Oračko from the Sports Club Weightlifting Sokolov division has won three gold medals representing the Czech Republic in the International Weightlifting Federation Online Youth World Cup for competitors age 17 and younger. He was the big favorite in the highest weight category going in.
In March 2019, as a 16-year-old, Oračko became a double junior world champion. Right away in his first snatch event this year he left no doubts as he lifted 154 kilograms overhead and immediately took the lead.
During his second snatch event he added six more kilograms and defeated the silver medalist Igor Osuch of Poland by 14 kilograms, lifting 160. In the clean and jerk event, Oračko lifted 192 kilograms on his first attempt, which was enough to win both that event and his duel with Osoch, which he won by lifting 29 kilograms more than the second-place finisher.
The championship was originally meant to be held in Peru, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic the competitors performed in their home clubs and the contest took place online. Video footage of his gold medal performance is below.
- Miss Czech Republic, who is Romani, wins title of "Miss Elegance" and is now in the top 15 of the Miss Globe 2020 beauty competition
- Miri Fajta, a Romani production company, wins Czech short film competition, could show at Cannes
- Michal Mižigár wins the Aspen Central Europe Leadership Award 2019
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin wins gold in Sarajevo
- VIDEO: Kickbox champ of Czech Republic wins again, celebrates with the Romani flag
- Romani athlete Dominik Oračko of the Czech Republic wins two gold medals and one silver at the Youth World Weightlifting Championships
- Documentary by Museum of Romani Culture wins award for best Czech film at international festival
- Slovakia: Girl from impoverished Romani family wins race running in flats
- Romani fashion designer wins one million Czech crowns, will launch brand
- Romani fashion designer wins international competition in the USA
- "Cigán" ("Gypsy") wins four prizes during Karlovy Vary film festival
- Czech Olympic Committee and Czech Weightlifting Union condemn Ota Zaremba’s racist remarks
- Czech mobile vaccination teams revisit socially excluded localities where COVID-19 disinformation has had more of an impact
- Austria's Die Presse: Covert racism is why Europe's Roma are worse off after COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech mobile team has vaccinated about 100 people against COVID-19 at the Mojžíř housing estate and will visit other excluded localities
- Czech mobile vaccination teams visit excluded localities in Ostrava-Přívoz, Regional Authority working with Romani NGOs on outreach
- Romani-inhabited housing estate Luník IX in Slovakia sees start of local vaccinations against COVID-19
- In the Czech Republic, mobile teams have begun vaccinating people against COVID-19 in socially excluded localities
- Jaroslav Miko: Vaccination doesn't just protect you, it protects us all
- Czech extremists move from inciting anti-Romani hatred to railing against "COVID terror" ahead of fall elections
- Czech social media influencers join national campaign promoting vaccinations against COVID-19
- Karel Karika: I've had my first jab, the vaccine is the way back to normal life
- Czech public health officials asking whether those testing positive for COVID-19 are Czech or Romani - but questions about nationality not being asked systematically
- "Your father is in the COVID-19 wing". A true story.