Romani junior weightlifter wins three gold medals for the Czech Republic in youth championship held online because of COVID-19
Romani community member Dominik Oračko from the Sports Club Weightlifting Sokolov division has won three gold medals representing the Czech Republic in the International Weightlifting Federation Online Youth World Cup for competitors age 17 and younger. He was the big favorite in the highest weight category going in.
In March 2019, as a 16-year-old, Oračko became a double junior world champion. Right away in his first snatch event this year he left no doubts as he lifted 154 kilograms overhead and immediately took the lead.
During his second snatch event he added six more kilograms and defeated the silver medalist Igor Osuch of Poland by 14 kilograms, lifting 160. In the clean and jerk event, Oračko lifted 192 kilograms on his first attempt, which was enough to win both that event and his duel with Osoch, which he won by lifting 29 kilograms more than the second-place finisher.
The championship was originally meant to be held in Peru, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic the competitors performed in their home clubs and the contest took place online. Video footage of his gold medal performance is below.
- Miss Czech Republic, who is Romani, wins title of "Miss Elegance" and is now in the top 15 of the Miss Globe 2020 beauty competition
- Miri Fajta, a Romani production company, wins Czech short film competition, could show at Cannes
- Michal Mižigár wins the Aspen Central Europe Leadership Award 2019
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin wins gold in Sarajevo
- VIDEO: Kickbox champ of Czech Republic wins again, celebrates with the Romani flag
- Romani athlete Dominik Oračko of the Czech Republic wins two gold medals and one silver at the Youth World Weightlifting Championships
- Documentary by Museum of Romani Culture wins award for best Czech film at international festival
- Slovakia: Girl from impoverished Romani family wins race running in flats
- Romani fashion designer wins one million Czech crowns, will launch brand
- Romani fashion designer wins international competition in the USA
- Czech documentary film about xenophobia, "Czechs versus Czechs", wins special honor at Jihlava film festival
- "Cigán" ("Gypsy") wins four prizes during Karlovy Vary film festival
- Czech Olympic Committee and Czech Weightlifting Union condemn Ota Zaremba’s racist remarks
- COVID-19 impacts impoverish most of humanity while the assets of the ultra-rich expand
- Czech biologist says COVID-19 Omicron variant has no problem defeating our immunity
- Community spread of Omicron reported from socially excluded locality in the Czech Republic
- Their mother almost died of COVID-19, but brothers in Czech Republic believe they have since convinced hundreds in their family to get vaccinated
- Court in the Netherlands orders far-right politician to delete tweets comparing those avoiding the COVID-19 vaccine to Jews during the Holocaust
- German counter-intelligence says right-wing extremist numbers growing as people radicalize in response to COVID-19
- Czech regions combat COVID-19 disinformation in socially excluded localities as hospitalizations soar
- Czech NGO starts campaign to support education of Romani children and non-Roma who are socially disadvantaged
- Jan Cina wins Czech Television's StarDance 2021 competition with Adriana Mašková
- Czech capital to see announcement of awards for children's Romanes-language literature, video and visual art today - Romano suno 2021
- Final round of "Czechia Slovakia Has Talent" to broadcast this weekend, Romani family act makes the finals
- Czech Police charge dozens of online haters for attacking medical workers as Facebook blocks French and Italian accounts campaigning against vaccination with violence