Romani junior weightlifter wins three gold medals for the Czech Republic in youth championship held online because of COVID-19
Romani community member Dominik Oračko from the Sports Club Weightlifting Sokolov division has won three gold medals representing the Czech Republic in the International Weightlifting Federation Online Youth World Cup for competitors age 17 and younger. He was the big favorite in the highest weight category going in.
In March 2019, as a 16-year-old, Oračko became a double junior world champion. Right away in his first snatch event this year he left no doubts as he lifted 154 kilograms overhead and immediately took the lead.
During his second snatch event he added six more kilograms and defeated the silver medalist Igor Osuch of Poland by 14 kilograms, lifting 160. In the clean and jerk event, Oračko lifted 192 kilograms on his first attempt, which was enough to win both that event and his duel with Osoch, which he won by lifting 29 kilograms more than the second-place finisher.
The championship was originally meant to be held in Peru, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic the competitors performed in their home clubs and the contest took place online. Video footage of his gold medal performance is below.
- Miss Czech Republic, who is Romani, wins title of "Miss Elegance" and is now in the top 15 of the Miss Globe 2020 beauty competition
- Miri Fajta, a Romani production company, wins Czech short film competition, could show at Cannes
- Michal Mižigár wins the Aspen Central Europe Leadership Award 2019
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin wins gold in Sarajevo
- VIDEO: Kickbox champ of Czech Republic wins again, celebrates with the Romani flag
- Romani athlete Dominik Oračko of the Czech Republic wins two gold medals and one silver at the Youth World Weightlifting Championships
- Documentary by Museum of Romani Culture wins award for best Czech film at international festival
- Slovakia: Girl from impoverished Romani family wins race running in flats
- Romani fashion designer wins one million Czech crowns, will launch brand
- Romani fashion designer wins international competition in the USA
- Czech documentary film about xenophobia, "Czechs versus Czechs", wins special honor at Jihlava film festival
- "Cigán" ("Gypsy") wins four prizes during Karlovy Vary film festival
- Czech Olympic Committee and Czech Weightlifting Union condemn Ota Zaremba’s racist remarks
- Romani organizations write to Czech Industry and Trade Minister: Roma must be part of the National Plan for Renewal
- Petr Mati, social pedagogue, tells Czech Health Minister his communication style about COVID-19 is demotivating
- ROMEA TV interviews Czech doctor about vaccines against COVID-19 - how are they made and how do they work?
- Romani experts say Czech Government should supply for free the respirators it has made compulsory
- Jan Dužda: Vaccination is the most effective weapon against COVID-19, Czech authorities need to campaign about its effects and importance
- Czech nonprofits find schools not in touch with one-fifth of disadvantaged parents surveyed
- Karel Karika: COVID-19 making life drastically worse in the socially excluded localities of the Czech Republic
- Vaccinations against COVID-19 - how is the Romani community in the Czech Republic responding?
- Romani doctor in Czech Republic will get vaccinated and is disturbed by COVID-19 disinformation
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- COMMENTARY: Romale, Bill Gates does not want to track you, vaccinations against COVID-19 will not kill you and do not involve microchips
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize