Romani rapper Alex Dzurko's new video criticizes "Facebook warriors" and racists, laments social divisions
Alex Dzurko has become broadly known especially among the younger generation in the Czech Republic thanks to the many videos he has produced in which he uses clips from famous films and overdubs what the main characters are saying with his original humor. Those videos have been viewed tens of thousands of times and some of the lines produced by his amateur dubbing have become a permanent part of his fans' vocabulary.
He is also involved in many other activities, one of which is rap. His new song is called "We Are All Equal" (Všichni jsme si rovni) and is an uncompromising critique of racism - irrespective of who spreads it.
"This is a consequence of what's happening in the Czech Republic. It's like I say in the song: What a Czech can do, a Roma can do - both the good and the bad. In all directions," Dzurko told news server Romea.cz.
The performer anticipated negative reactions to his settling of accounts with racists. For now, however, he has noted just positive responses from both non-Roma and Roma.
- VIDEO: Kickbox champ of Czech Republic wins again, celebrates with the Romani flag
- VIDEO: 2 000 people in Rokycany, Czech Republic, pay their respects to the Queen of Romani Music, Věra Bílá
- VIDEO: Romani performer Věra Bílá is back with singer Jan Bendig and bandleader Milan Kroka
- Romani vocalists from Czech Republic and Slovakia record pop music video duet
- Romani sisters launch new music video in the Czech Republic
- Romani band Bengas issues new video protesting racist attacks after performer moves away from the Czech Republic
- Documentarist says Czech rap artist Shot stands out because he draws from real life
- Czech and Romani-Slovak rappers box each other in front of sold-out arena in Prague
- Romani rappers P. A. T. and Rytmus in new video: Czechs and Slovaks are "drunk on hatred"
- Jaroslav Miko: Romani voters must cast their ballots for a democratic coalition, otherwise anti-Romani extremists may get into government
- Albanian comedy shows feature blackface, prejudice and stereotypes about Romani people
- Romani associations distance themselves from community member who apparently expressed desire to attack Czech politician
- Mayor and police in Czech town correct the record about assault incident to make clear Romani people were not involved as first alleged
- Slovak President and Plenipotentiary for Roma object to wave of hate and racism following announcement of Pope's visit to Romani neighborhood
- Czech Pirates sharply criticize bill to toughen welfare eligibility, delaying a vote
- Czech football club Sparta has identified the fans who shouted racist insults at Monaco player, filed a crime report against them and banned them from stadiums
- Woman says intercity bus driver in northern Czech town racially abused her and called for the death of all Roma before physically throwing her onto a road
- "Kamara - just a n****r" - Czech Police looking for football fans who published racist banner
- Czech court upholds conviction for making dangerous threats after neighbor threatens to kill three Romani women and their children with an ax
- T-Mobile, general partner of Czech Republic's Sparta Prague football club, calls meeting with their leadership over their fans' racism
- Czech Republic's Sparta Prague football ultras shout racist insults and throw beer cups at Black Monaco player