Romani rapper Alex Dzurko's new video criticizes "Facebook warriors" and racists, laments social divisions
Alex Dzurko has become broadly known especially among the younger generation in the Czech Republic thanks to the many videos he has produced in which he uses clips from famous films and overdubs what the main characters are saying with his original humor. Those videos have been viewed tens of thousands of times and some of the lines produced by his amateur dubbing have become a permanent part of his fans' vocabulary.
He is also involved in many other activities, one of which is rap. His new song is called "We Are All Equal" (Všichni jsme si rovni) and is an uncompromising critique of racism - irrespective of who spreads it.
"This is a consequence of what's happening in the Czech Republic. It's like I say in the song: What a Czech can do, a Roma can do - both the good and the bad. In all directions," Dzurko told news server Romea.cz.
The performer anticipated negative reactions to his settling of accounts with racists. For now, however, he has noted just positive responses from both non-Roma and Roma.
- VIDEO: Kickbox champ of Czech Republic wins again, celebrates with the Romani flag
- VIDEO: 2 000 people in Rokycany, Czech Republic, pay their respects to the Queen of Romani Music, Věra Bílá
- VIDEO: Romani performer Věra Bílá is back with singer Jan Bendig and bandleader Milan Kroka
- Romani vocalists from Czech Republic and Slovakia record pop music video duet
- Romani sisters launch new music video in the Czech Republic
- Romani band Bengas issues new video protesting racist attacks after performer moves away from the Czech Republic
- Documentarist says Czech rap artist Shot stands out because he draws from real life
- Czech and Romani-Slovak rappers box each other in front of sold-out arena in Prague
- Romani rappers P. A. T. and Rytmus in new video: Czechs and Slovaks are "drunk on hatred"
- Romani actor to appear in latest installment of antigypsyist Czech film series made by former 'special school' teacher
- Czech bodybuilder fined for approving of murder of Romani man, he appeals
- Facebook will delete posts denying or distorting the Holocaust, ignorance of it among youth one reason
- Slovak politician gets 4 months and 4 years for establishing a movement to suppress human rights, he appeals
- Portugueuse police ordered to remove racist tattoos
- Czech poll finds 30 % of the public does not want Romani children in mainstream classes and does want them to be segregated
- Czech Interior Ministry: Ultranationalist party attempted to spark anti-Romani sentiment, extremists and xenophobes spread disinformation about COVID-19
- Czech court upholds suspended sentence for man who called for non-white first-graders to be gassed to death
- Commentary: What are the Romani candidates running for the fascists in the Czech Republic thinking?
- Czech court sentences perpetrator to five years for racist assault on Romani man, both defense and prosecution considering appeal
- COMMENTARY: Romani actors should refuse to perpetuate stereotypes in Czech television programs
- Commentary: Work on antisemitism by US professor reminds us of antigypsyism in the Czech Republic today