Romani residents of Czech housing estate thank those battling COVID-19 with hearts in windows
Dozens of households at the Chanov housing estate in Most, Czech Republic, have responded to a challenge from a local association, Aver Roma, to thank everybody who is providing aid to others during the COVID-19 epidemic and to express support for them. Illuminated hearts have been shining from their windows as part of an event called "Thank you, together we can do it!"
"Chanov is using this heart symbol to thank all the paramedics, police, firefighters, retail clerks, drivers, waste disposal technicians, and janitors in the hospitals, everybody who is risking their health these days to combat the very insidious, invisible rival that is the coronavirus," Peter Bažo of Aver Roma told news server Romea.cz. "The people at the housing estate demonstrated their solidarity and how much they appreciate the people who today are on the front lines of combating this disease."
Bažo also said the event would be repeated at Chanov and that naturally it did not just involve expressing thanks, but that people at the housing estate themselves have joined specific aid efforts such as, for example, sewing face masks, as news server Romea.cz has previously reported. The association posted photos of the illuminated windows to social media last week.
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner: Nonprofits are irreplaceable in combating COVID-19
- Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe rapporteur: Instead of aiding Romani people during COVID-19, some European politicians are promoting antigypsyism
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- Czech Republic: Two Romani women sew 1000+ face masks for the indigent and seniors
- Czech town puts "container housing" for Romani-inhabited locality on hold, former ombudswoman recommended cancelling it altogether
- COVID-19 impacts impoverish most of humanity while the assets of the ultra-rich expand
- Czech biologist says COVID-19 Omicron variant has no problem defeating our immunity
- Community spread of Omicron reported from socially excluded locality in the Czech Republic
- Their mother almost died of COVID-19, but brothers in Czech Republic believe they have since convinced hundreds in their family to get vaccinated
- Czech School Inspection maps successful primary schools, official says poor academic performance is not just a problem of excluded Romani pupils
- Court in the Netherlands orders far-right politician to delete tweets comparing those avoiding the COVID-19 vaccine to Jews during the Holocaust
- German counter-intelligence says right-wing extremist numbers growing as people radicalize in response to COVID-19
- Czech regions combat COVID-19 disinformation in socially excluded localities as hospitalizations soar
- Czech NGO starts campaign to support education of Romani children and non-Roma who are socially disadvantaged
- Czech Police charge dozens of online haters for attacking medical workers as Facebook blocks French and Italian accounts campaigning against vaccination with violence
- Patrik Banga: Who will be to blame for the Romani victims of COVID-19 in the Czech Republic?
- Controversial Romani figure appears with Czech extremists opposing measures to control the pandemic