Romani residents of Czech housing estate thank those battling COVID-19 with hearts in windows
Dozens of households at the Chanov housing estate in Most, Czech Republic, have responded to a challenge from a local association, Aver Roma, to thank everybody who is providing aid to others during the COVID-19 epidemic and to express support for them. Illuminated hearts have been shining from their windows as part of an event called "Thank you, together we can do it!"
"Chanov is using this heart symbol to thank all the paramedics, police, firefighters, retail clerks, drivers, waste disposal technicians, and janitors in the hospitals, everybody who is risking their health these days to combat the very insidious, invisible rival that is the coronavirus," Peter Bažo of Aver Roma told news server Romea.cz. "The people at the housing estate demonstrated their solidarity and how much they appreciate the people who today are on the front lines of combating this disease."
Bažo also said the event would be repeated at Chanov and that naturally it did not just involve expressing thanks, but that people at the housing estate themselves have joined specific aid efforts such as, for example, sewing face masks, as news server Romea.cz has previously reported. The association posted photos of the illuminated windows to social media last week.
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner: Nonprofits are irreplaceable in combating COVID-19
- Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe rapporteur: Instead of aiding Romani people during COVID-19, some European politicians are promoting antigypsyism
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- Czech Republic: Two Romani women sew 1000+ face masks for the indigent and seniors
- Czech town puts "container housing" for Romani-inhabited locality on hold, former ombudswoman recommended cancelling it altogether
- Romani blogger known in the Czech Republic and Slovakia dies of COVID-19, posted video warning just this morning
- Young Roma in the Czech Republic call on community to protect themselves from COVID-19 and not believe everything they read online
- Romani musician in Czech Republic regrets believing COVID-19 was fake now that he's had it
- Romani journalists in Czech Republic call on community to uphold measures against pandemic
- Czech riot police intervene against violent anti-COVID measure demonstrators
- Romani singer sends message about COVID-19 from a Czech hospital: You do not want to catch this
- Conspiracy theorists, disinformation followers and football hooligans to protest Czech Govt COVID-19 measures tomorrow in Prague
- Local councillor in Czech Republic sparks outrage and petition against installation of "container housing" in Romani neighborhood
- European Roma Rights Centre reports on human rights violations against Romani people during the pandemic this spring
- UK quarantine for travelers arriving from Czech Republic begins tomorrow
- Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights, Secretary General issue statements honoring 2 August
- New photos of much-maligned housing estate in the Czech Republic published by Romani association