Romani residents of Czech housing estate thank those battling COVID-19 with hearts in windows
Dozens of households at the Chanov housing estate in Most, Czech Republic, have responded to a challenge from a local association, Aver Roma, to thank everybody who is providing aid to others during the COVID-19 epidemic and to express support for them. Illuminated hearts have been shining from their windows as part of an event called "Thank you, together we can do it!"
"Chanov is using this heart symbol to thank all the paramedics, police, firefighters, retail clerks, drivers, waste disposal technicians, and janitors in the hospitals, everybody who is risking their health these days to combat the very insidious, invisible rival that is the coronavirus," Peter Bažo of Aver Roma told news server Romea.cz. "The people at the housing estate demonstrated their solidarity and how much they appreciate the people who today are on the front lines of combating this disease."
Bažo also said the event would be repeated at Chanov and that naturally it did not just involve expressing thanks, but that people at the housing estate themselves have joined specific aid efforts such as, for example, sewing face masks, as news server Romea.cz has previously reported. The association posted photos of the illuminated windows to social media last week.
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner: Nonprofits are irreplaceable in combating COVID-19
- Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe rapporteur: Instead of aiding Romani people during COVID-19, some European politicians are promoting antigypsyism
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- Czech Republic: Two Romani women sew 1000+ face masks for the indigent and seniors
- Czech town puts "container housing" for Romani-inhabited locality on hold, former ombudswoman recommended cancelling it altogether
- Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights, Secretary General issue statements honoring 2 August
- New photos of much-maligned housing estate in the Czech Republic published by Romani association
- New Czech donation platform means individuals can now fundraise easily online
- Romani doctor in Czech Republic: As long as we never appear in such positions, nothing will change
- Rina Caldari: The "Corona Rebels" - Conspiracy Theories from the Far Right
- Czech expatriate Romani community in the UK targeted by social media hoaxes to create demand to leave because of COVID-19
- Czech health official's ignorant claim about COVID-19 response in Romani settlements in Slovakia prompts pushback from MEP
- Czech town announces public collection to aid Romani family whose house caught fire last week
- Slovakia: Romani settlement celebrates lifting of across-the-board quarantine now that infected individuals and their loved ones have been isolated
- House of Romani family in Czech Republic burns down: Arson, or unfortunate accident? Police are investigating
- Slovakia: Six more inhabitants of Romani settlement test positive for COVID-19, are relocated to facility
- Slovakia: COVID-19 still spreading in Roma settlement, quarantine center will be built there and across-the-board testing undertaken