Romani student Gabriela Janičová: My dream is to become a teacher
Gabriela Janičová is a young student from the Josefov quarter of the town of Jaroměř, Czech Republic. She is studying at the Evangelical and Social Academy in Náchod and thanks to her excellent results there she has been granted a scholarship from the program for Romani high school and technical high school students provided by the organization ROMEA, o.p.s.
After completing secondary school, Janičová says she would like to continue her studies in Prague. She spends her free time doing temporary work so she can contribute to the family budget.
After the death of her grandfather, who was the head of her family, they fell on difficult times. "We had no money, sometimes we went hungry," she said in an interview with moderators on the TV Barrandov station.
Despite the fact that her family lives on a low income, her mother has done her best to support Janičová in her studies in every way. One of the young Romani student's dreams is to become sufficiently educated to become a teacher herself.
Thanks to support from the Czech Albatros Foundation, the Danish VELUX Foundations, and individual donors from the Romani community, ROMEA was able to provide scholarships to 60 students attending high schools and technical high schools for the 2016/17 school year. In addition to the scholarship, the program offers students the opportunity to access other educational courses, to participate in intensive weekend meetings with other Romani scholarship recipients, and to access tutoring.
- ROMEA launches first year of Literary Competition for Romani college students
- Czech Republic: Romani high school students receive scholarships at ceremony, sponsors are convinced education is an investment
- Czech Republic: ROMEA awards scholarships to Romani secondary school students
- NGOs meet with Czech EdMin about the state hiring Roma and support for Romani students
- Slovakia: Dozens of children from orphanage ending up in psychiatric care - is it a business?
- Romani student at Czech college prep school learns about Romani history through BARUVAS student meetings
- Czech Republic sees eighth BARUVAS program meeting for Romani students
- Monika Kokyová on MasterChef: I want to show my ideas
- Top Czech YouTuber doing media literacy education for hundreds of thousands was inspired by John Oliver
- Czech high school students can learn about disinformation through a new escape game
- ROMEA's scholarship recipients encouraged to motivate those around them
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 11 CET: Ceremonial awarding of scholarships for Romani secondary school students
- Deadline to apply to Romani Studies program at Charles University now 19 August
- Romani students from Czech Republic visit Germany, say they will not allow unfreedom to recur
- Czech Republic: Romani Student Movement says Roma must be involved in addressing affairs that affect them
- Czech Republic: Romani secondary school students can apply for scholarships, deadline is 15 July