Romani tenants finally get housing through Czech nonprofit "real estate agent" Fair Housing
Mária Pompová was living with her boyfriend and young daughter in a substandard apartment in the Czech Republic where the rent was high even though the heating didn't work and there was only cold running water. They decided to move but could not manage to find a landlord to take them.
"They were bothered by the fact that we have children and that in addition, we are Romani," she says in a video that has been published online by the Czech Government's "Hate Free Culture" initiative. The family did not find new housing until they contacted the nonprofit real estate company Fair Housing (Férové bydlení), which is run by the R-Mosty NGO.
"We are doing our best to find members of marginalized groups appropriate accommodation and we aid them with maintaining the rental relationship over the long run," says manager Adam Pospíšil. Collaboration with the "real estate agent" has also been praised by the landlord who ultimately leased an apartment to the Romani couple.
"It's always a risk to rent an apartment and here you have the advantage of some service, legal and personal," said landlord Veronika Jírů. The "real estate agent" has already aided 12 families with finding housing and other landlords interested in collaboration are joining the service.
- Czech town buying dilapidated prefab apartment building on housing estate to demolish it
- Czech social housing law adoption nowhere in sight, MPs haven't moved to second reading
- Czech lower house has only just begun reviewing the social housing bill, its chances of approval before the elections keep falling
- Czech nonprofit real estate agency helps people facing discrimination find housing
- Czech NGOs say lawmakers want to cut welfare despite impending social crisis
- Czech bodybuilder fined for approving of murder of Romani man, he appeals
- Facebook will delete posts denying or distorting the Holocaust, ignorance of it among youth one reason
- Slovak politician gets 4 months and 4 years for establishing a movement to suppress human rights, he appeals
- Local councillor in Czech Republic sparks outrage and petition against installation of "container housing" in Romani neighborhood
- Portugueuse police ordered to remove racist tattoos
- Czech poll finds 30 % of the public does not want Romani children in mainstream classes and does want them to be segregated
- Czech Interior Ministry: Ultranationalist party attempted to spark anti-Romani sentiment, extremists and xenophobes spread disinformation about COVID-19
- Czech court upholds suspended sentence for man who called for non-white first-graders to be gassed to death
- Czech regional elections: Ninth-place Romani candidate says housing and lack of representation are the community's biggest problems
- Commentary: What are the Romani candidates running for the fascists in the Czech Republic thinking?
- Czech court sentences perpetrator to five years for racist assault on Romani man, both defense and prosecution considering appeal