Romani tenants finally get housing through Czech nonprofit "real estate agent" Fair Housing
Mária Pompová was living with her boyfriend and young daughter in a substandard apartment in the Czech Republic where the rent was high even though the heating didn't work and there was only cold running water. They decided to move but could not manage to find a landlord to take them.
"They were bothered by the fact that we have children and that in addition, we are Romani," she says in a video that has been published online by the Czech Government's "Hate Free Culture" initiative. The family did not find new housing until they contacted the nonprofit real estate company Fair Housing (Férové bydlení), which is run by the R-Mosty NGO.
"We are doing our best to find members of marginalized groups appropriate accommodation and we aid them with maintaining the rental relationship over the long run," says manager Adam Pospíšil. Collaboration with the "real estate agent" has also been praised by the landlord who ultimately leased an apartment to the Romani couple.
"It's always a risk to rent an apartment and here you have the advantage of some service, legal and personal," said landlord Veronika Jírů. The "real estate agent" has already aided 12 families with finding housing and other landlords interested in collaboration are joining the service.
- Czech town buying dilapidated prefab apartment building on housing estate to demolish it
- Czech social housing law adoption nowhere in sight, MPs haven't moved to second reading
- Czech lower house has only just begun reviewing the social housing bill, its chances of approval before the elections keep falling
- Czech nonprofit real estate agency helps people facing discrimination find housing
- Romanian town must finally compensate some members of a forcibly evicted Romani community
- Czech man sentenced to three months in prison, suspended for one year, for assaulting Romani boy, but racial motivation is ignored
- Vojtěch Lavička: Czech law on housing benefit-free zones was an attack on human dignity
- Jaroslav Miko: Romani voters must cast their ballots for a democratic coalition, otherwise anti-Romani extremists may get into government
- Albanian comedy shows feature blackface, prejudice and stereotypes about Romani people
- Romani associations distance themselves from community member who apparently expressed desire to attack Czech politician
- Mayor and police in Czech town correct the record about assault incident to make clear Romani people were not involved as first alleged
- Czech mayors regret abolition of housing benefit-free zones, one alleges the move will "cause extremism"
- Czech Labor and Social Affairs Minister proposes "expropriating" residential hotels after housing benefit-free zones declared unconstitutional
- BREAKTHROUGH DECISION: Czech Constitutional Court overturns part of law that allowed municipalities to declare "housing benefit-free zones"
- Slovak President and Plenipotentiary for Roma object to wave of hate and racism following announcement of Pope's visit to Romani neighborhood
- Czech Pirates sharply criticize bill to toughen welfare eligibility, delaying a vote