Romani tenants finally get housing through Czech nonprofit "real estate agent" Fair Housing
Mária Pompová was living with her boyfriend and young daughter in a substandard apartment in the Czech Republic where the rent was high even though the heating didn't work and there was only cold running water. They decided to move but could not manage to find a landlord to take them.
"They were bothered by the fact that we have children and that in addition, we are Romani," she says in a video that has been published online by the Czech Government's "Hate Free Culture" initiative. The family did not find new housing until they contacted the nonprofit real estate company Fair Housing (Férové bydlení), which is run by the R-Mosty NGO.
"We are doing our best to find members of marginalized groups appropriate accommodation and we aid them with maintaining the rental relationship over the long run," says manager Adam Pospíšil. Collaboration with the "real estate agent" has also been praised by the landlord who ultimately leased an apartment to the Romani couple.
"It's always a risk to rent an apartment and here you have the advantage of some service, legal and personal," said landlord Veronika Jírů. The "real estate agent" has already aided 12 families with finding housing and other landlords interested in collaboration are joining the service.
- Czech town buying dilapidated prefab apartment building on housing estate to demolish it
- Czech social housing law adoption nowhere in sight, MPs haven't moved to second reading
- Czech lower house has only just begun reviewing the social housing bill, its chances of approval before the elections keep falling
- Czech nonprofit real estate agency helps people facing discrimination find housing
- Czech Police say man and woman who committed racist attack against Romani children should be prosecuted
- Czech court annuls board of directors of Ústecký Region's biggest housing cooperative
- Czech court overturns acquittal for author of racist online comments, prosecution will continue
- Czech ice hockey friendly goes uncompleted after fans racially abuse Romani player and his team stops play in protest
- European Roma Rights Centre gives legal aid to victims alleging Slovak police brutality
- VIDEO: Ostentatious homes built by Roma community in Romania reflect their desire for prestige
- Slovakia: Video of police intervention against Roma at gas station goes viral, sparks protests
- Czech politicians react to Communist MP's false allegation that honoring the Roma victims of Nazism has raised the price of pork
- Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini faces criticism for calling Romani woman a "dirty gypsy"
- Infamous housing estate in Slovakia is finally turning around - continued
- Czech institute says city's hope of state investment into "container" housing may be in vain
- French court convicts six arsonists of attack on Romani people