Romani tenants finally get housing through Czech nonprofit "real estate agent" Fair Housing
Mária Pompová was living with her boyfriend and young daughter in a substandard apartment in the Czech Republic where the rent was high even though the heating didn't work and there was only cold running water. They decided to move but could not manage to find a landlord to take them.
"They were bothered by the fact that we have children and that in addition, we are Romani," she says in a video that has been published online by the Czech Government's "Hate Free Culture" initiative. The family did not find new housing until they contacted the nonprofit real estate company Fair Housing (Férové bydlení), which is run by the R-Mosty NGO.
"We are doing our best to find members of marginalized groups appropriate accommodation and we aid them with maintaining the rental relationship over the long run," says manager Adam Pospíšil. Collaboration with the "real estate agent" has also been praised by the landlord who ultimately leased an apartment to the Romani couple.
"It's always a risk to rent an apartment and here you have the advantage of some service, legal and personal," said landlord Veronika Jírů. The "real estate agent" has already aided 12 families with finding housing and other landlords interested in collaboration are joining the service.
- Czech town buying dilapidated prefab apartment building on housing estate to demolish it
- Czech social housing law adoption nowhere in sight, MPs haven't moved to second reading
- Czech lower house has only just begun reviewing the social housing bill, its chances of approval before the elections keep falling
- Czech nonprofit real estate agency helps people facing discrimination find housing
- Slovak MEP condemns brutal murder in Ireland and the principle of collective blame against Roma
- Editors at Slovak news server apologize for anti-Romani, racist joke, but legislator is filing a complaint
- Czech lower house approves increase to housing benefits over rising energy prices
- Czech lower house to review Govt agreement with expansion of the EU Fundamental Rights Agency, which advises on racism and other matters
- Czech martial arts organization Oktagon MMA bans contestant because of Hitler tattoo
- Czech court hands down suspended sentence for racist commentary on article about children's deaths and confiscates the computer used
- Greece: Romani girl caught in sliding doors dies due to shocking indifference of bystanders, her family sees it as racism
- Pope Francis receives Romani footballers, including Jaroslav Horváth and Lukáš Pulko of the Czech Republic, ahead of friendly match
- Czech MMA fighter Cverna challenges bodybuilder who insulted Romani people
- Czech MMA fighter exploits media attention of his win to insult Romani people, then claims he is "not a racist"
- Czech town sees doubling of social exclusion over five years, growth in loan sharking among Romani residents
- Director of the Museum of Romani Culture schools Czech senator in debate