Romani tenants finally get housing through Czech nonprofit "real estate agent" Fair Housing
Mária Pompová was living with her boyfriend and young daughter in a substandard apartment in the Czech Republic where the rent was high even though the heating didn't work and there was only cold running water. They decided to move but could not manage to find a landlord to take them.
"They were bothered by the fact that we have children and that in addition, we are Romani," she says in a video that has been published online by the Czech Government's "Hate Free Culture" initiative. The family did not find new housing until they contacted the nonprofit real estate company Fair Housing (Férové bydlení), which is run by the R-Mosty NGO.
"We are doing our best to find members of marginalized groups appropriate accommodation and we aid them with maintaining the rental relationship over the long run," says manager Adam Pospíšil. Collaboration with the "real estate agent" has also been praised by the landlord who ultimately leased an apartment to the Romani couple.
"It's always a risk to rent an apartment and here you have the advantage of some service, legal and personal," said landlord Veronika Jírů. The "real estate agent" has already aided 12 families with finding housing and other landlords interested in collaboration are joining the service.
- Czech town buying dilapidated prefab apartment building on housing estate to demolish it
- Czech social housing law adoption nowhere in sight, MPs haven't moved to second reading
- Czech lower house has only just begun reviewing the social housing bill, its chances of approval before the elections keep falling
- Czech nonprofit real estate agency helps people facing discrimination find housing
- Czech bill would prevent evictions due to nonpayment of rent during COVID-19 pandemic
- North Macedonia selects just Romani people crossing the border for quarantine in unhygienic conditions
- Newsweek: Trump and other Western leaders are legitimizing Hungarian PM's anti-Roma campaign, according to human rights activists
- Director of EU FRA: Racism has no place in combating coronavirus, human rights limitations must be proportionate
- Author raising a Romani child says Czech Public Defender of Rights is racist and evil is slowly winning
- Czech court returns to case of hate speech online targeting non-"white" first-graders
- Regional coalition of Romani representatives calls on Czech ombudsman to apologize for his remarks about Romani people
- Germany: Xenophobic party apologizes for racist coloring book after sharp criticism
- Another victim of the German terrorist attack, a young man from Romania, is also from the Roma minority
- Czech Police investigating racist video posted by fanclub of ultranationalist party
- German Interior Minister: Hanau terrorist attack motivated by racism, neo-Nazis have attacked three times in just a few months
- Young Romani woman was a victim of German shooting spree