Romani youth including actor from "The Painted Bird" want to fundraise for Czech hospital treating serious COVID-19 cases
The regional daily paper Českobudějovický deník reported on 5 March that a group calling itself Držme Spolu Za Jeden Provaz ("Let's All Pull Together") wants to aid those who are fighting for their lives against the novel coronavirus. The group was set up by local Romani youth including Petr Kotlár, the actor who starred in the Czech film "The Painted Bird", and others living in the towns of Český Krumlov, Větřní, Černá v Pošumaví and Květušína.
The group is planning to contribute to the hospital in Český Krumlov so it can acquire ventilators and plan to raise the money through charity fundraising performances. Romani community members Pavel Cina, who is blind, Katka Knihová, who leads a group of young dancers, musicians and singers, and Robert Kotlár are behind the idea.
"The children were inspired by this idea and want to work on it, so we put it together. We have planned the program and how to make it possible and we would like to launch it," Robert Kotlár told the daily.
The group is planning to perform a skit set in a hospital that is dealing with the novel coronavirus, followed by a dance performance with live music. The youngest member of the ensemble is 11-year-old Marián Gábor.
Under normal circumstances the group rehearses at the Rovnost ("Equality") Community Center's club room in Větřní several times a week. The ensemble has a broad repertoire of numbers it performs, a large number of which are Romani songs.
- Another Romani musician in a Czech hospital sends social media message to COVID-19 deniers: This is real and the hospitals are running out of room
- Czech ombudsman attacks ROMEA organization for criticizing racist joke by incoming Chief Public Health Officer
- Incoming Czech Chief Public Health Officer apologizes to Romani people for racist joke
- Brand-new Czech Chief Public Health Officer has a history of anti-Romani racism in her previous public communications about COVID-19
- Czech doctor explains how the COVID-19 vaccines were developed so quickly for ROMEA TV
- Popular Romani singer Bertík Girga posts emotional video from Czech hospital telling people COVID-19 is real
- Petr Mati, social pedagogue, tells Czech Health Minister his communication style about COVID-19 is demotivating
- ROMEA TV interviews Czech doctor about vaccines against COVID-19 - how are they made and how do they work?
- Romani experts say Czech Government should supply for free the respirators it has made compulsory
- Czech NGO director tells ombudsman he should resign for refusing to acknowledge discrimination against Roma
- Czech organizations insist the lower house and Prime Minister reject the anti-Romani remarks of the ombudsman
- Hollywood Reporter says "The Painted Bird", starring a Romani child actor, is among the 20 best films this year
- Czech film of "The Painted Bird" features Romani child actor in the main role
- Slovak census: More than 156 000 people declared Romani nationality, more than 100 000 declared Romanes as their mother tongue
- COVID-19 impacts impoverish most of humanity while the assets of the ultra-rich expand
- Czech census sees 65 % rise in number of people declaring Romani nationality
- Czech biologist says COVID-19 Omicron variant has no problem defeating our immunity
- Community spread of Omicron reported from socially excluded locality in the Czech Republic
- Their mother almost died of COVID-19, but brothers in Czech Republic believe they have since convinced hundreds in their family to get vaccinated
- Court in the Netherlands orders far-right politician to delete tweets comparing those avoiding the COVID-19 vaccine to Jews during the Holocaust
- German counter-intelligence says right-wing extremist numbers growing as people radicalize in response to COVID-19
- Czech regions combat COVID-19 disinformation in socially excluded localities as hospitalizations soar
- Czech NGO starts campaign to support education of Romani children and non-Roma who are socially disadvantaged
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights finds police officers made significant errors in the controversial arrest of Stanislav Tomáš
- Czech Police charge dozens of online haters for attacking medical workers as Facebook blocks French and Italian accounts campaigning against vaccination with violence