ROMEA organization's standpoint on the use of the term "Gypsy" in literature
First published in Czech on 14 April 2010
The proposal made by Mr Miko regarding the Czech children's story about the tomcat Mikeš because it contains the word "Gypsy" is something we consider ridiculous. However, we have no choice but to issue a statement about this issue because it could harm the Romani community as a whole in the final result.
We absolutely reject the newspaper headlines alleging that "Romani people dislike tomcat Mikeš, call Lada a racist" and we would like to draw everybody's attention to the fact that the letter demanding the removal of that children's book from circulation is solely an activity of Mr Miko's and the associations who are affiliated with him. This is not an opinion generally shared by the Romani community (there is no mass petition to that effect accompanying his letter!) and therefore it is inappropriate to generalize that opinion as one held by all Roma.
Josef Lada and many other authors used this term in their works, and Romani people themselves considered it a neutral term in those days. There is no need to rewrite all titles containing the term "Gypsy", but there is a need to discuss the context in which new works are being created.
We are not going to raise hell about famous films or musical compositions using this term either, and we regret that this mini-scandal has been given so much attention by the media. The final upshot of all their attention may just be to further inflame relations between the majority society and the Roma.
- Jonathan Lee: Antigypsyism is a cancer at the heart of Europe
- Czech Civic Democrats may exclude member who called Meghan Markle a "gypsy"
- Emiliya Dancheva: Can we trust the European Parliament if its members are deaf and blind to anti-Gypsyism in Bulgaria?
- MEP Soraya Post for ROMEA TV: Antigypsyism exists everywhere in Europe
- Alliance against Antigypsyism: EU Roma Week is an opportunity to focus on tackling antigypsyism in Europe
- Czech media again exaggerate assault incident, promote antigypsyist stereotypes
- Monika Mihaličková: In Romanes we never say "Me som cikános" ["I am a gypsy"]
- Czech Republic: Benefit concert for Romani child who survived antigypsyist arson in 2009
- European Parliament: Roma in the EU face antigypsyism and everyday discrimination that must stop
- Czech Republic: Head of ROMEA receiving threats against his family, antigypsyism on the rise
- Alica Sigmund Heráková responds to Czech daily about the word "gypsy": Yes, it is derogatory
- USA: Petition to rename the "Gypsy" series warns of dangerous stereotypes
- Czech online tabloids recycling long-debunked antigypsyist hoaxes alleging Roma get free transportation, washing machines
- Czech tabloid fraudulently tells readers CCTV footage of theft in Chile was from Ostrava - antigypsyism is the response
- Ninety years ago the Czechoslovak authorities issued law on "wandering gypsies", took fingerprints for "gypsy identification cards"
- Czech MEP responds to antigypsyism at the European Parliament: Roma are underrepresented and positive examples should be highlighted
- Czech Christian Democratic Governor and Senator resigns his local posts but says his antigypsyist remarks not the reason
- Tomáš Ščuka on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: We do not support antigypsyism and we insist on objectivity!
- Commentary: Czechs realize "anti-Gypsy" law - stricter than during totalitarian rule - applies to them too
- Analysis from Bulgaria: Anti-Gypsyism is the enemy at the gates
- Alliance against Antigypsyism: Antigypsyism is a major obstacle to equal citizenship for Romani people
- Analysis: Why it’s time to lay the “Gypsy” trope to rest
- Commentary: Is Czech society about to rid itself of anti-Gypsyist MEP Miloslav Ransdorf?
- Zazzle responds about anti-Gypsyist T-shirt
- European Roma and Travellers Forum: Anti-Gypsyism afoot in Czech Republic, Hungary, Italy and elsewhere
- Hungary faces harsh criticism for anti-democratic developments, including anti-Gypsyism and anti-Semitism
- VIDEO: UN Human Rights Council review of anti-Gypsyism
- UN Human Rights Council review of anti-Gypsyism will be webcast live next week
- Czech Republic: Romani town councilor critiques antigypsyist petition
- Czech Republic: Antigypsyist con artist tries running for office again
- Czech Republic: Anti-Gypsy graffiti causing thousands of crowns of damage
- Czech politician known for anti-Gypsyism faces corruption charges
- Czech mother complains about "gypsy food" in school cafeteria, TV Nova says parents are "revolting"
- Council of Europe Human Rights Commissioner condemns European anti-Gypsyism, including racist violence and segregation in the Czech Republic
- Hindus ask Madonna to highlight Gypsy apartheid issue during her Europe tour
- Czech magazine Existence publishes interview "Together against anti-Gypsyism"
- Czech party drafts petition against discrimination of the majority by the "Gypsy minority"
- Hindus want anti-Gypsy textbook withdrawn in Czech Republic
- "Cigán" ("Gypsy") wins four prizes during Karlovy Vary film festival
- Press release: Council of Europe - European media and anti-Gypsy stereotypes
- World premiere of Czech-Slovak film "Cigán" ("Gypsy") at Karlovy Vary film festival, then Toronto
- Commentary: Czech Government is responsible for anti-Gypsyism
- Czech PM Petr Nečas at Gypsy Spirit: Prejudice deforms the rules
- ROMEA wins Czech Gypsy Spirit 2010 award
- Czech PM to attend Gypsy Spirit 2010 awards
- Romanian man who posed as a Gypsy built mansion on taxpayers’ money
- New website for Gypsy youth in Wales
- Gypsy rock against Sarkozy!
- Suspended sentence for Czech author of "The Final Solution to the Gypsy Question"
- Gypsy Fair in Cambridge successful at breaking down stereotypes
- Nicolas Cage to attend charity ball for Gypsy children
- Film screening sheds light on Spain’s Romani Gypsy culture
- Sherlock Holmes star taps into her Gypsy roots
- Italy: Mayor moves to demolish Roma Gypsy camps
- Fears over traveller and gypsy sites in Somerset
- Deputy William Brinza requests analysis on replacement of “rom” with “gypsy” in passports
- Forbes.cz: Romani celebrity Monika Bagárová is the third most influential person on Czech Instagram
- Romani activist, journalist, poet and translator Jan Döme Horváth has passed away in the Czech Republic
- The Central Council of German Sinti and Roma is deeply saddened by the death of Holocaust survivor and Roma civil rights activist Raymond Gurême
- Romani musician proposed for Czech state honors
- Martin Mata: Save your money, the pandemic will have an overwhelming economic impact
- Slovak NGOs respond to PM, allege Romani settlement closures will accelerate spread of COVID-19
- Romani doctor in the Czech Republic: This work is enormously meaningful during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech ombudsman "likes" racist post on Facebook, refuses to answer questions about what that means
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights to take up human rights agenda, discrimination still an issue
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights wants to investigate human rights, new Public Defender is downplaying that aspect of the office
- Anna Šabatová's term as Czech Public Defender of Rights ends: "I did what was within my power to do"
- Juliana Vodrážková: Josef Bánom has passed away