ROMEA to hold public debate on "Roma in the Czech Republic - obstacles, opportunities, options" TOMORROW
The ROMEA organization will be holding a public debate, "Roma in the Czech Republic - obstacles, opportunities, options" on Thursday, 28 April at the House of National Minorities (Vocelova 3, Praha 2). The event will have three parts, the first of which will focus on supporting the higher education of Romani people through scholarships.
Debates on this topic will involve ROMEA's coordinators of scholarship programs for Romani college students (Yveta Kenety), for Romani secondary school and technical school students (Jitka Votavová), and former Romani MP Monika Mihaličková. The next two sections will debate the topics of Romani people and the media and forms of aid to victims of discrimination and hatred in the Czech Republic and in Norway, during which a brief documentary film on this topic will premiere.
A "round table" discussion among those participating in the debate during the second part of the meeting will be held on the topic of Romani people and the media. The discussion will follow the presentation of a media analysis summarizing developments in the depiction of Romani people in the Czech media during the past two years, presented by the director of ROMEA, Ing. Zdeněk Ryšavý.
9:30 – 9:45: Section I: Introductory remarks, presentation of the individual program sections for debate - Ing. Zdeněk Ryšavý, director, ROMEA, o.p.s.
9:45 – 11:00: Scholarships for Romani students as a path to education? Presentation of new and existing scholarship opportunities for Romani students of colleges, secondary schools and technical schools and the website www.romskastipendia.cz - Yveta Kenety, Jitka Votavová, Monika Mihaličková and Tomáš Gago. Stories of successful scholarship recipients, representatives of whom will participate in the debate. Discussion.
11:20 – 12:20: - Section II: Public debate on the topic of "Romani people and the media". How do the media report about Romani people? Depiction of Romani people in the media during the past two years, developments, examples and scandals - Zdeněk Ryšavý. Discussion.
13:00 – 14:30: Section III: Round table: Forms of aid to victims of discrimination and hate violence. Information about the various forms of aid provided to victims of discrimination and hate violence in the Czech Republic and Norway and the premiere of a brief documentary film by the ROMEA organization on this topic. Presentation by the representatives of our Norwegian partner organization, Balder Hasvoll (head of the Department for Romani Affairs, "Romtiltaket", at Oslo City Hall, Norway) and Alpocino Jansen (Romani assistant with the Romtiltaket Department). Discussion.
If you are interested in this event (which will take place in Czech) please confirm your participation by calling 257 329 667 or writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. ROMEA looks forward to seeing you there!
- ROMEA: The media need more Romani journalists
- Czech Republic: ROMEA trains police on working in excluded localities
- Czech Republic: Roma Spirit award goes to director of primary school that includes Roma and to Romea.cz co-founder
- Romea.cz editor says Czech policy toward Roma full of chaos, poor concepts and populism
- News server Romea.cz switching to Disqus for online discussions
- Romea.cz Code of Discussion
- Romea.cz interviews authors of the "official" version of the Romani anthem
- Czech Republic: Romea.cz survey on Romani people and Islam
- Czech Republic: Romea.cz asks NGOs if they still want to change the world or just raise money?
- Czech Republic: ROMEA helps tutor socially disadvantaged children
- 2015 issues for Romea.cz: "Practical schools" and social housing
- Bothered by how the media report on Romani people? ROMEA wants to hear from you
- Czech Republic: ROMEA meets with Romani job-seekers, debt collection and discrimination main concerns
- Czechs mark Velvet Revolution by asking President to resign, neo-Nazis harass ROMEA
- Czech journalist Michal Komárek and ROMEA win Vodafone Foundation grant
- Come help us with Romea.cz! ROMEA seeks journalists
- Czech Police seem to prevent Romani refugees from disembarking at station, but say they just informed them there is no accommodation available in the country's second-largest city
- Czech primary school hires private security, ROMEA organization offers aid to the management
- Director of the Museum of Romani Culture schools Czech senator in debate
- Czech capital sees gathering of Romani students awarded scholarships by the ROMEA organization
- 15th BARUVAS meeting in the Czech Republic for Romani students features theater performance about Romani history
- Romani NGOs in Czech Republic's Liberec Region issue statement on events in the runup to the October elections, warn against ultra-right violence
- Czech Senate Committee on Social Policy recommends rejection of bill authorizing attachment of welfare benefits over local unpaid fines
- Romani college and high school students motivate Romani pupils in excluded localities of the Czech Republic to continue their studies
- LGBT+ members of Romani communities were part of Prague Pride this year, activists introduced program to aid people experiencing multiple discrimination
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY: Discussion of the case of the death of Stanislav Tomáš, Ústí nad Labem, Czech Republic
- 70+ Romani students attending Czech colleges applied to the ROMEA organization's scholarship program this year
- EXCLUSIVE: Hradec Králové, Czech Republic, is on edge. Romani youth was assaulted and his jaw broken, but police dissuaded him from filing a crime report