Rumburk: "Gypsies to the gas chambers! Black swine! We'll burn you alive"
Last Friday's demonstration "against violent crime" in Rumburk deteriorated into a racist hunt for local Romani residents. The mob circulated repeatedly through the town looking for Romani people. Ethnic Czechs gathered several times in front of buildings where Romani people were thought to be living. They threw pieces of wood and rocks at two homes and destroyed the fence around another one. Police did not intervene until the mob attempted to break into the second home and started throwing apples at police officers.
During the entire march, as well as on the town square, the mob shouted racist abuse and calls to violence against Romani people such as: "Black swine", "Gypsies to the gas chambers", "I'd set them all on fire, bury them alive, stab them in the back", etc. Police did not intervene against these racists.
- Czech Agency for Social Inclusion accuses paper of anti-Romani campaign
- Help Romea.cz win support from Vodafone
- Czech Republic and "gypsies" - 1938 vs. 2012
- Czech Republic: Equal Opportunities Party to protest local-level anti-Romani moves
- Czech mayor: Romani people face lynching unless rape suspect taken into custody
- Czech municipality gets tough on Ostrava ghetto residents again
- Czech Republic: Proud Romani students in IT, medicine, and natural sciences
- Prosecutor: Czechs started last year's brawl with Romani people in Rumburk
- Roma Pride 2012 marches through the center of Prague
- Czech Republic: 70 ultra-rightists march on Romani neighborhood
- Czech Republic: Project commemorates postwar Romani labor
- European experts compare experiences working in socially excluded localities