Senegalese model featured on Lidl ad in Czech Republic hired by company importing mobile phones
The Lion Mobile company's latest advertising campaign in the Czech Republic features Senegalese model Alpha Dia, whose image in a flier for the Lidl retail chain sparked many racist commentaries on Faceboook. Lion Mobile imports Xiaomi telephones to the Czech Republic.
Dia is now the main face of the company's advertising. News server MoneyMag.cz has reported that racist reactions to the model are increasing.
"The posters were publicized just a couple of hours ago and many Czechs are once again expressing online the fact that they find the image offensive," MoneyMag.cz reported on Friday, 3 February. Some of the commentaries are comparable to those that appeared at the beginning of January on Lidl's Facebook profile.
"It's not a good idea today to put a monkey in an advertisement, an evidently targeted provocation that brings results, though, because even negative advertising is advertising... . I like Xiaomi telephones, I will not hypocritically write here that I will stop using mine, but I don't like this," a Facebook user under the name David Kčmář has posted to the company's Facebook page.
Just as with the scandal of the Lidl flier, though, most of the commentaries are positive and ridicule the racist ones. "How big of an impact this campaign copied from the Lidl company will have is the question right now," MoneyMag.cz opines.
- Model is shocked by Czech racists' response to him, incident now an international embarrassment
- Firms support much-criticized Lidl chain with funny campaigns against racism in the Czech Republic
- Czech Human Rights Minister says he will shop at Lidl after racists criticize its use of a black model
- US President Biden condemns white supremacist terrorist attack in Buffalo, New York that murdered 10 people
- Czech capital to see demonstration in support of Romani refugees from Ukraine calling for dignified conditions
- Tent city in Czech capital has not solved the situation of the Romani refugees from Ukraine, hundreds at main station, few with Hungarian passports
- Czech Health Minister: Room for Romani refugees from Ukraine has to be found outside of Prague
- Czech university distances itself from e-mail alleging increased security needed for dorm because of refugees from Ukraine
- Czech Caritas branch objects to Romani political party's critique of aid to Romani refugees from Ukraine, party stands by its allegations
- Jarmila Balážová: Condemnation of refugee Romani children and their mothers from Ukraine is unfair when their brothers, fathers and sons are fighting back at home!
- Prague Mayor tells Czech Govt that if refugees are not redistributed elsewhere in the country by Tuesday, he will close the assistance center
- VIDEO: Tents for Romani refugees from Ukraine were erected in the Czech capital in the Troja neighborhood
- Mayor of Prague says if the Czech state does not systematize the distribution of refugees it will close its aid center, tent city supposedly being built
- Commentary: Arrogant behavior of Czech Railways staff toward Romani refugees from Ukraine and absurd police proposals
- Romani nonprofits and civil society members of the Czech Govt Council on Roma Minority Affairs call on PM to hold a crisis meeting with them about aid to Romani Ukrainian refugees