Senegalese model featured on Lidl ad in Czech Republic hired by company importing mobile phones
The Lion Mobile company's latest advertising campaign in the Czech Republic features Senegalese model Alpha Dia, whose image in a flier for the Lidl retail chain sparked many racist commentaries on Faceboook. Lion Mobile imports Xiaomi telephones to the Czech Republic.
Dia is now the main face of the company's advertising. News server MoneyMag.cz has reported that racist reactions to the model are increasing.
"The posters were publicized just a couple of hours ago and many Czechs are once again expressing online the fact that they find the image offensive," MoneyMag.cz reported on Friday, 3 February. Some of the commentaries are comparable to those that appeared at the beginning of January on Lidl's Facebook profile.
"It's not a good idea today to put a monkey in an advertisement, an evidently targeted provocation that brings results, though, because even negative advertising is advertising... . I like Xiaomi telephones, I will not hypocritically write here that I will stop using mine, but I don't like this," a Facebook user under the name David Kčmář has posted to the company's Facebook page.
Just as with the scandal of the Lidl flier, though, most of the commentaries are positive and ridicule the racist ones. "How big of an impact this campaign copied from the Lidl company will have is the question right now," MoneyMag.cz opines.
- Model is shocked by Czech racists' response to him, incident now an international embarrassment
- Firms support much-criticized Lidl chain with funny campaigns against racism in the Czech Republic
- Czech Human Rights Minister says he will shop at Lidl after racists criticize its use of a black model
- Pope Francis receives Romani footballers, including Jaroslav Horváth and Lukáš Pulko of the Czech Republic, ahead of friendly match
- Czech MMA fighter Cverna challenges bodybuilder who insulted Romani people
- Czech MMA fighter exploits media attention of his win to insult Romani people, then claims he is "not a racist"
- Director of the Museum of Romani Culture schools Czech senator in debate
- Czech prosecutor finds livestreamed remarks made in pub about "stabbing" politician rise to the level of a misdemeanor only
- Czech court to hear appeal in case of brutal assault by non-Romani adults on Romani children in Lipník nad Bečvou
- Czech Supreme Court upholds sentence for hate posted about non-white first-graders: Not a joke, but the promotion of Nazism
- Czech Police prosecuting one of the men who assaulted Romani people in Sokolov this summer, Internal Affairs says officers' procedure was correct
- Czech MP Okamura (SPD) to lose lower house vice-chair post because of his hatemongering, according to Civic Democratic Party member
- Hungarian court rules Romani children were discriminatorily institutionalized because of their origin and social status
- Czech welfare chauvinists call for abolition of inclusion, renewal of "special schools", and denial of welfare to "inadaptables"
- Czech Bar Association reprimands attorney for approving of "joke" calling for the gassing of non-white first-graders, he appeals