Senegalese model featured on Lidl ad in Czech Republic hired by company importing mobile phones
The Lion Mobile company's latest advertising campaign in the Czech Republic features Senegalese model Alpha Dia, whose image in a flier for the Lidl retail chain sparked many racist commentaries on Faceboook. Lion Mobile imports Xiaomi telephones to the Czech Republic.
Dia is now the main face of the company's advertising. News server MoneyMag.cz has reported that racist reactions to the model are increasing.
"The posters were publicized just a couple of hours ago and many Czechs are once again expressing online the fact that they find the image offensive," MoneyMag.cz reported on Friday, 3 February. Some of the commentaries are comparable to those that appeared at the beginning of January on Lidl's Facebook profile.
"It's not a good idea today to put a monkey in an advertisement, an evidently targeted provocation that brings results, though, because even negative advertising is advertising... . I like Xiaomi telephones, I will not hypocritically write here that I will stop using mine, but I don't like this," a Facebook user under the name David Kčmář has posted to the company's Facebook page.
Just as with the scandal of the Lidl flier, though, most of the commentaries are positive and ridicule the racist ones. "How big of an impact this campaign copied from the Lidl company will have is the question right now," MoneyMag.cz opines.
- Model is shocked by Czech racists' response to him, incident now an international embarrassment
- Firms support much-criticized Lidl chain with funny campaigns against racism in the Czech Republic
- Czech Human Rights Minister says he will shop at Lidl after racists criticize its use of a black model
- Czech MP who said she "understood" racist death threats against Romani and other non-white children switches parties
- Czech police use dehumanizing terms if incidents involve Romani people, the media parrot them - and then pogroms begin
- Czech Interior Ministry report finds far-right party was the "super spreader" of hate last year
- Commentary: Czech ombudsman's racist remarks reveal his ignorance of Roma and of history
- Czech lower house sees tussle over President's claims that "Black Lives Matter" is a "racist" slogan
- Czech Internet users fall for ultra-right disinformation parody - and instead of laughing, they lash out
- Czech MP Karel Schwarzenberg: Mr President, you've committed another complete faux pas
- Czech President Zeman marks US Independence Day by calling Black Lives Matter "racist"
- Commentary: Czech philosopher Daniel Kroupa has crossed the line, or: What is racism?
- Commentary: Romani actors should boycott Czech cop show over antigypsyist content
- Czech football hooligans' racism against black player to be addressed by disciplinary commission
- Volkswagen apologizes for racist advertisement, claiming it was "unintentional"