Situation of Czech Romanies moved to suburb improves - ombudsman
The situation of Romanies whom the Vsetin town hall moved from a dilapidated house in the centre of the town to container-like houses on the outskirts has improved over the last year, Czech ombudsman Otakar Motejl told CTK today.
However, the situation of Romanies whom the Vsetin town hall moved to villages elsewhere in north Moravia last year is still bad, Motejl said.
The main problems are unclear ownership and technical qualities of the houses into which they were moved, he said.
A house in Cechy pod Kosirem is totally uninhabitable, Motejl said (more here...).
The Vsetin town hall moved last year, under the previous mayor Jiri Cunek, current deputy PM (Christian Democrats, KDU-CSL), several dozens of local Romanies to devastated houses elsewhere in Moravia. The town hall bought them and the Romanies now have to return the money.
Vsetin Mayor Kvetoslava Othova said the town was willing to participate in solving the problems of the moved-out Romanies.
"We can, for example, postpone the instalments for loans," Othova said.
In addition, the Vsetin town hall is considering the construction of a new house in the Poschlo locality where Romanies at present live in container-like houses.
- The ruling that took 15 years: Czech town ordered to compensate some of the Romani residents whom it evicted and relocated
- Czech town refuses to settle out of court with Roma whom they forcibly relocated 13 years ago
- Commentary: Czech politician takes photo with extremists who have records of racist violence
- Czech Constitutional Court rejects complaint from municipality defending its 2006 eviction of Romani residents
- Czech Christian Democratic Governor and Senator resigns his local posts but says his antigypsyist remarks not the reason
- Civil society members of Czech Government Council for Roma Minority Affairs recap past three years of work
- Czech politician alleges he has resolved the issue of "inadaptable Gypsies", Faktus says the facts show otherwise
- Czech town "celebrates" 10th anniversary of Romani evictions and creation of ghetto with fireworks
- Czech Constitutional Court to review town's forced relocation of Romani residents
- Czech Govt Agency for Social Inclusion begins work with mayor who keeps attacking Roma
- Czech Agency for Social Inclusion accuses paper of anti-Romani campaign
- Help Romea.cz win support from Vodafone