Slovakia: Romani children from excluded communities sing Romani national anthem at the Presidential Palace
Slovak President Andrej Kiska posted the following message to his Facebook page about why he celebrates International Romani Day: "If no politicians have said anything about this to you today, I'm not surprised. You can't score points with this subject - rather the opposite. That's why it's safer to be quiet. Today is International Romani Day. In years past I have visited communities, schools, and projects working with Romani people and doing a good job of it on this day. This year I have decided to receive Romani children from Košice and Moldava nad Bodvou in the Presidential Palace so they could sing the Romani anthem there. It was a very impactful experience for me personally."
"We have more than 400 000 Romani people in Slovakia. Of the children who are born in excluded communities in Slovakia, almost half remain among the poorest of the poor all their lives. We must end this vicious cycle of poverty. The only way out is education," Kiska posted.
"In my reports on the state of the republic I have spoken of this year after year. It is possible, we just have to want to make this subject a priority. Political leaders pay almost no attention to this topic, and I explained why at the opening of this post," the outgoing President of Slovakia said.
- Slovak football tournament brings together diplomats, Roma and politicians for the fifth time
- Slovakia has elected its first female President - Čaputová thanks voters in Romanes again
- Irena Biháriová: How a Romani woman from Progressive Slovakia got a hug from an ultra-right voter
- Slovakia: Ultra-right tries to exploit tragedy, raise tensions between non-Roma and Roma
- Slovak President Kiska receives the European Civil Rights Prize of Sinti and Roma in Brussels
- Slovak Presidential elections: Frontrunner speaks Romanes when thanking first-round voters
- Romani vocalists from Czech Republic and Slovakia record pop music video duet
- Romani girl who won race in Slovakia while running in flats keeps on winning
- Romani kickbox champ of Czech Republic celebrates victory at Muay-Thai evening in Slovakia with Romani flag around his shoulders
- Slovakia: "Invisible Roma" protest insult by the speaker of Parliament
- Slovak Interior Ministry plans Operational Centers against "inadaptable Roma", community members protest
- Slovak President Andrej Kiska gives state honors to two Romani figures
- Eastern Slovakia: Four stories that defy anti-Roma stereotypes
- Czech and Romani-Slovak rappers box each other in front of sold-out arena in Prague
- USA: Four-month-old Romani boy is youngest child to be separated from his parents at the border with Mexico
- Slovak church bungles inclusion of Romani newcomer into First Communion ceremony, charges of racial discrimination being investigated
- "Romani Army" by Berlin-based Maxim Gorki Theater Company gets standing ovation at Czech festival
- Italian authorities investigate 65 neo-Fascists in Rome after anti-Roma protests
- Czech Agriculture Ministry advises hiring Ukrainian labor despite domestic Romani labor offer for bark beetle work
- Czech ice hockey star of Romani origin and NHL draft pick moves to new domestic team
- Zeljko Jovanovic: Roma, make our voices heard in the European Parliament elections!
- Amnesty International: No justice one year after attack on a Romani camp in Ukraine
- European Roma Information Office launches social media campaign to increase Roma voter turnout in EP elections
- VIDEO: Gala celebration of International Romani Day 2019 in Prague's Archa Theater
- VIDEO: March of Proud Roma begins International Romani Day celebrations
- International Romani Day 2019 - Events in the Czech Republic