Talented Romani pianist performs from his balcony in Czech town to thank medical workers
Robert Ferenc, the talented pianist and Romani community member who became an overnight star on social media in the Czech Republic, has recently been sharing his art with senior citizens in the small town of Vratislavice in the Liberec area. People living in Liberec itself are also able to admire his undeniable talent as, during the state of emergency declared in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, he has been performing from his balcony for his neighbors on the housing estate where he lives.
"I thank the doctors, nurses, firefighters, sales clerks and the people sewing face masks. I thank everybody who is providing aid in this difficult situation," he says in a video of one such performance posted to Facebook.
The musician's original video of thanks has been viewed by more than 13 000 people. The untraditional balcony performances, during which he plays different melodies known to people from film scores, are also being massively shared on social media.
The gifted pianist came in fourth place in the Pianist of the Year competition in 2017 in the Czech Republic. "The earnestness and authenticity of his playing radiates from him. On the one hand he has a strong personal story behind him, and on the other hand he actually has a musician's soul," said Petr Malásek, a juror in that competition and musician himself in a Czech Television reportage about Ferenc.
- Adriana Kotlárová, educator at school with many Romani pupils: Families have no Internet access, personal contact unavoidable even during COVID-19
- Czech Foreign Affairs Minister tells ROMEA TV that Brexit and COVID-19 are causing problems for UK residents hoping to return
- Associated Press: Holocaust survivors reminded of WWII by COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech Interior Ministry centre refutes most frequent disinformation about COVID-19 online
- Romani woman on the front lines of COVID-19: Interview with a nurse in the Czech capital
- Interview with Romani man in Czech Republic recovering from COVID-19: This was not like the flu
- Czech Labor Minister tells ROMEA TV the crucial priority is to prevent mass unemployment because of COVID-19
- Human Rights Commissioner of the Council of Europe calls for Romani living conditions to be improved during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner thanks Roma for their aid during COVID-19 and wishes them well on International Romani Day
- Petr Torák: The COVID-19 pandemic is getting worse in Britain, dozens of Roma are returning to the Czech Republic
- Vladimír Leško: Dozens of Roma are returning from the UK to the Ostrava area of the Czech Republic, they and others will be tested for COVID-19
- Czech Republic: Romani street musician shines in "Pianist of the Year" competition
- More than one Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic wins events in the WAKO K-1 WORLD GRAND PRIX 2020
- Czech state is failing to coordinate distance learning for thousands of children during COVID-19, nonprofits alone can't fix it
- Romani community in third-largest Czech city donates truckload of vitamins to hospital in gratitude for their work during COVID-19
- Petra Gelbart: Czech media invite the wrong experts to discuss the COVID-19 pandemic
- Romani junior weightlifter wins three gold medals for the Czech Republic in youth championship held online because of COVID-19
- Czech collections agents threatening to confiscate laptops from families whose children need them for distance learning during COVID-19
- Czech protest against COVID-19 response brings together the far-right, those against the PM, those against the opposition, xenophobes - and punks
- Leading Romani activist and co-founder of Dikh TV, the musician Lajos "Paci" Balogh, has succumbed to COVID-19 at the age of 28
- Romani celebrities in Czech Republic with COVID-19 use social media to warn others, but will they be believed?
- Slovak Govt Roma Plenipotentiary says Romani community rates of COVID-19 infection the same as majority-society rates
- Czech and Slovak-language disinformation about COVID-19: Lies about testing, facemasks and Bill Gates
- Coalition of Romani representatives in Czech region of Liberec appeal to Romani community to follow COVID-19 pandemic regulations