Tomáš Ščuka: We may disagree with him, but Romani candidate for extremist party is entitled to his opinions
On 5 and 6 October we will be voting in the local elections to the councils of cities and municipalities as well as to the Senate, the upper chamber of the Parliament of the Czech Republic. I have been unable to avoid noticing the sharp reactions of some Romani people to the young Romani man who has decided to run as a candidate for the "Freedom and Direct Democracy" movement of Tomio Okamura (SPD) in Karviná.
When I first read the critical comments about his candidacy I understood the negative remarks and the great indignation coming from other Romani people. Frequently such cases are perceived as betrayal, as selling out, etc.
The majority society here views such cases of Romani candidates with humor, they find them amusing. I get it - our freedom of speech provides us with easy opportunities to express ourselves on social networks about unusual phenomena or attitudes in the life of this society, of which we are a part.
On the other hand, I believe these so-called deviations or fluctuations of behavior or attitudes, unfortunately, do have a place in the social environment. During our lives we regularly encounter people who are out of line with the mainstream of majority opinion, or not in line with the rules of social behavior.
These differences may surprise us for a short while, but we do not normally pay attention to them for long. I am asking myself, therefore: Should we perceive such extremes similarly when they appear inside our Romani community?
My answer is YES! We Roma also have the right to be extreme!
While we do not have to like the fact that a young Romani man is running as an SPD candidate, it is necessary to realize that this is not the first such case in this area, and it will not be the last. Certainly we can remember the Romani candidates in the 1990s for the Republican Party of Miroslav Sládek.
Let's also recall the vocal Romani supporters of Jiří Čunek, or of Mayor Řapková of Chomutov, who brought forward her own radical "solution to the Romani question." Actually we should never forget these cases - on the contrary, we should learn to accept them just as we accept the way the rest of society runs.
As the Romani minority, we are different from everybody else primarily because of our culture! Democracy itself, though, its principles and values, must be respected in all its aspects.
Being of the same nationality or skin color has nothing to do with democracy. Each of us bears our own responsibility for our own decisions and steps.
Believe me, candidacies of this sort are not usually successful. Such people are just shooting themselves in the foot - and what's more, in public!
First published in Romano hangos
- Czech Police charge right-wing extremists who assaulted citizens of India
- Local Prague candidate seems to have given Nazi salute at demonstration, extremist party she is running for disavows her
- Czech Police refuse immediate comment about extremist stickers on bus used to transport 280 arrested environmental activists
- Czech PM, in speech about EU, says migration problems have caused a rise in extremist politics
- Czech President's staff criticize inclusion of "Freedom and Direct Democracy" party in extremism report
- Czech Interior Ministry: SPD movement has assumed the agenda of the extreme right
- Czech Govt has yet to release report stating that the SPD party poses more of a threat than extremists do
- Czech President pushing Czech PM into Government with right-wing extremists
- Czech Interior Ministry's quarterly report on extremism: Politicians exploited fears of immigration
- Czech experts point to association between indebtedness and extremist voting patterns
- Julius Zajac: Ascendancy of extremists and liars may augur a new kind of totalitarianism in the Czech Republic
- Czech PM, extremists praise Czech President's Christmas speech, presidential candidates criticize it
- Czech expert on extremism says solidarity through hate is very strong now
- Spiegel Online reports Czech Republic has a problem with extremism
- Czech Republic commemorates Velvet Revolution, Prague Police arrest two right-wing extremists
- Czech principal says politicians forgot about her school after death threats were made against it last year
- Czech town sees low turnout for 10th anniversary of anti-Romani pogrom, Romani people light candles for the police officers injured that day
- Czech prosecutor to review police decision not to charge politicians over remarks about Romani genocide site
- Czech ultra-right extremists plan to commemorate 10th anniversary of their attempted pogrom on Romani people
- Commentary: Actual risk now exists that deniers of the Holocaust of the Roma could join the Czech Government
- Slovakia has 41 Romani mayors - 39 male and two female - a record high
- Czech Constitutional Court receives complaint about election campaign, proposals for "fertilization" of "gypsies" recur in local media discussion
- Czech trial of racist assault on Prague tram: Eyewitnesses can still come forward, next hearing in January
- Slovak Foreign Minister expresses gratitude to the EU for peace and security, warns against hateful ideologies
- USA: Neo-Nazi leader recently arrested upon returning from Mexico
- Monika Mihaličková: Silence is consent
- Czech Internet users celebrate the deaths of migrant children in Turkey
Tags:Extremism, Svoboda a přímá demokracie (SPD), Tomio Okamura, Volby
Czech court finds author of death threats against human rights defenders committed a politically-motivated hate crime14.11.2018 8:46
Czech archaeological samples yet to find exact location of victims' mass grave at Romani genocide site12.11.2018 18:07
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.