TOMORROW: "Happening" at Prague memorial to Czechoslovak politician executed on false charges by the communist regime calls for preservation of Human Rights Minister post
On Wednesday, 6 December 2017 a day-long "happening" will be held to preserve the post of Human Rights Minister and to bolster the human rights agenda in the new Government. The beginning of the event, which is convened by the Czech Women's Lobby network of nonprofit orgnaizations, will be 9:30 by the statue of Milada Horáková on Sněmovní Street in Prague's Lesser Quarter.
By laying flowers by the memorial on the day when Czech PM-designate Andrej Babiš is delivering his proposal for the Government's composition, the organizers of the "happening" want to publicly express their disagreement and disenchantment with the fact that the new Government is not counting on including a cabinet-level post on human rights. They are also drawing attention to the fact that it is not clear what will happen with the human rights agenda, which is currently handled by the Office of the Governmet in organizational terms.
In the Facebook invitation to the event the organizers say that "We consider it essentially important that the post of human rights minister not just be preserved, but that this cross-cutting agenda also remain part of the agenda of the Office of the Government. Further, we consider it important that it remain one functional whole because that is the only way it is possible to responsibly undertake the agenda in an informed manner. We are also demanding that the existing system and continuity of advisory bodies to the Government be preserved, the so-called committees and councils for the area of human rights, as we consider them an appropriate, functional instrument for communication between the Czech Government, civil society, and other important groups in society, employees and employers first and foremost."
- Council of Europe calls for progress on women's sexual and reproductive rights, including redress of forced sterilization by Czech Republic
- Czech NGOs call on incoming PM not to jettison cabinet post for human rights
- Council of Europe Human Rights Commissioner welcomes Czech Govt purchase of pig farm on Romani genocide site
- UN Human Rights Regional Office for Europe welcomes Czech Govt genocide site buyout, calls for illegally sterilized women to be compensated
- Czech Human Rights Minister says he believes his department and the Hate Free Culture campaign are "unnecessary"
- Czech Republic to chair Council of Europe, claims human rights are a priority
- Czech PM chairs Govt Council on Roma, civil society members demand more Romani involvement, less paternalism
- Czech PM meets with forced sterilization victims and their representatives about compensation
- Czech PM says Government not satisfied with pace at which EU funds are being drawn
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner says she will criticize politicians who are racist and resign rather than be censored
- Romani NGOs around Europe ask why the OSCE is researching alleged radicalization of their communities in Serbia
- Italy asks Czech Republic to receive asylum-seekers, Czech PM refuses
- Czech PM, in speech about EU, says migration problems have caused a rise in extremist politics
- Czech PM says migration must be addressed beyond Europe's borders
- Jana Balážová: Not acceptable for teachers to see Romani children as a burden
- Czech Justice Minister leaving politics because most of his fellow ANO members hold different opinions about human rights
- Czech President pushing Czech PM into Government with right-wing extremists
- Italian police forcibly evict yet another Roma camp
Tags:Andrej Babiš, Happening, human rights, ministr pro lidská práva
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.