TODAY! Livestream of discussion about segregation of Romani children after "Europe: Which Children Matter" screens in Ostrava
On Friday, 17 November at the PANT studio in Ostrava the documentary film "Europe: Which Children Matter?" will screen at 16:00, followed at 17:30 by a discussion with human rights activist Gwendolyn Albert, director Jenne Magno, activist Edita Stejskalová and other guests about the inclusion of Romani children into mainstream schools. News server Romea.cz will LIVESTREAM THE FOLLOWING DEBATE.
In the Czech Republic, Romani children have been recommended for assignment into segregated "special schools" for the mentally disabled for generations irrespective of their actual ability. In November 2007, the European Court of Human Rights found that the Czech Republic had illegally, indirectly discriminated against such children and had therefore violated the European Convention on Human Rights.
Because not much has changed since then, the European Commission has recently filed an infringement proceedings against the Czech Republic (and Hungary, and Slovakia) for violating their obligations with respect to protecting Romani children from being discriminated against in their access to education. In this film, you will meet Czech and Slovak Romani children who have emigrated to Great Britain along with their families.
These children, some of whom were labeled ineducable by their native countries, have now successfully achieved educations in their new schools, in a foreign language, and in the non-discriminatory environment of Great Britain. You will also meet children in the Czech context who today are studying at a school where prejudices of the "us vs. them" type are being broken down, and where the limits of what is possible are being redefined.
- Almost 2 000 Roma assemble in Czech town to ask for equal access to quality education
- Czech court holds trial of man who threatened Romani children with gunfire at summer camp
- Czech Police say threats to "bring Roma children to justice" are not criminal
- Forum 2000 opens with debate about segregation of Roma in the Czech schools
- Romani community member Jozef Facuna has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Czech Republic: Roma Pride 2019 broadcast live online by ROMEA TV
- EU Court of Justice: EU Member State courts can instruct Facebook to delete illegal posts, including insults
- Prague City Council disagrees with Czech bill to consolidate two housing benefits into one
- Czech MP with extreme-right group is evicting Roma onto the street
- Czech Republic: Realtor tells tenants they'd better not be on welfare
- Czech city of Ostrava to see ALL JOBS fair later this month
- Czech Public Defender of Rights will help launch new publication about Romani political and social engagement
- Czech Internet users celebrate the deaths of migrant children in Turkey
- Czech civil society groups, Romani ones included, protest students inviting ultra-right candidate to debates ahead of elections
- Czech Republic: Romani Student Movement says Roma must be involved in addressing affairs that affect them
- Residents of Czech neighborhood announce "Two Weeks of Vigilance" to protest their impending eviction