Traditional commemorative ceremony for the Romani victims of the Holocaust 13 May at Lety will launch new award
On Sunday, 13 May 2018, the traditional commemorative ceremony to honor the memory of the Romani victims of the Holocaust will take place at the Lety u Písku Memorial. The ceremony is annually organized by the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust (VPORH).
For those interested in attending there will be charter buses available free of charge departing from both Brno and Prague. The commemorative ceremony is held annually at Lety on 13 May and this year will mark 23 years since the memorial to the victims was unveiled near the former site of the Protectorate-era "Gypsy Camp" on 13 May 1995 by then-President Václav Havel.
VPORH has decided to annually give an "Award for Humanity" at the site of the former concentration camp at Lety on the occasion of this ceremony to figures who have contributed in a significant way to humanizing the relationships between Czech and Romani people. The first award will be given to members of the previous cabinet for their brave decision to agree with removing the pig farm that stood on the site of the former concentration camp.
"As you certainly are aware, the previous Government of Prime Minister Sobotka decided to remove the pig farm from the site of the Lety u Písku concentration camp. We appreciate this statesmanlike deed all the more because it was undertaken during an election year. Representatives of the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust in the Czech Republic have therefore decided to give the members of the previous cabinet who were responsible, to a decisive degree, for these reparations at Lety an award for their display of humanity," the invitation reads.
VPORH is organizing charter buses from Prague to Lety and back for those who wish to attend as follows: "The bus will be parked as usual in front of the main gate to the Praha-Florenc bus station, underneath the overpass, by the final stop for municipal bus number 133, and it will be marked with a sign reading 'Lety'. Departure is at 9:45."
It is possible to reserve a seat on the bus from Prague by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or an SMS to +420 603 247 617. The Museum of Romani Culture is also organizing a charter bus from Brno and it is possible to reserve seats on that bus by e-mailing email@example.com.
Program of the 13 May commemorative ceremony
12:00 Czech national anthem, followed by the hymn of the Romani prisoners of the Nazi concentration camps
12:10 Welcoming of participants
12:15 Laying of floral offerings at the memorial
13:10 Spiritual reflection
13:25 Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust "Award for Humanity", given to those figures who advocated on behalf of the Czech Government for making the site of the former concentration camp at Lety u Písku a more dignified place of remembrance
13:45 Cultural program performed by Carlos Vlasák (Sinto)
14:40 Closing of the official part of the ceremony, tour of the alterations to the former concentration camp site, optional visit to the cemetery in Mirovice (2 km) to lay flowers at the mass grave of the child victims of the camp.
- Czech PM to attend commemorative ceremony to honor Holocaust victims who are Romani
- PHOTOGALLERY: Commemorative ceremony honoring the memories of the Romani victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku
- FULL VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony honoring the memory of the Romani victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku
- Hundreds of Romani people from around the Czech Republic and Europe to attend 13 May ceremony at Lety by Písek
- Eyewitnesses allege staff at Czech lake did not help Vietnamese mothers look for their children, who drowned
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture still waiting for funds for demolition of pig farm on genocide site
- Czech institutions designing memorial about the genocide of the Roma are inspired by Norwegian remembrance sites
- Nationalists desecrate Czech memorial to genocide of the Roma
- Commentary: Terezin commemoration this year was a travesty, civil society group calls for director's dismissal
- Public discussion reviews Czech and Slovak policies and practices of commemorating the Holocaust and its Romani victims
- LIVE BROADCAST TONIGHT: Contemporary research of the Holocaust, Romani victims, and their public commemoration
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku and tour of the former pig farm
- Czech Police apprehend youth who desecrated Romani genocide memorial with pig's head
- Czech Constitutional Court: Complaint against decision to buy pig farm on Romani genocide site is inadmissable
- Czech memorial to Romani genocide apparently must be done in three years
- Demolition of pig farm on Romani genocide site in Czech Republic could provide jobs for long-term unemployed
Tags:Lety u Písku, Pietní akce, Pocta, Shromažďování
Tomáš Ščuka: Romani people need competent representation first and foremost, not Romani representation at all costs1.8.2018 10:04
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.