Traditional commemorative ceremony for the Romani victims of the Holocaust 13 May at Lety will launch new award
On Sunday, 13 May 2018, the traditional commemorative ceremony to honor the memory of the Romani victims of the Holocaust will take place at the Lety u Písku Memorial. The ceremony is annually organized by the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust (VPORH).
For those interested in attending there will be charter buses available free of charge departing from both Brno and Prague. The commemorative ceremony is held annually at Lety on 13 May and this year will mark 23 years since the memorial to the victims was unveiled near the former site of the Protectorate-era "Gypsy Camp" on 13 May 1995 by then-President Václav Havel.
VPORH has decided to annually give an "Award for Humanity" at the site of the former concentration camp at Lety on the occasion of this ceremony to figures who have contributed in a significant way to humanizing the relationships between Czech and Romani people. The first award will be given to members of the previous cabinet for their brave decision to agree with removing the pig farm that stood on the site of the former concentration camp.
"As you certainly are aware, the previous Government of Prime Minister Sobotka decided to remove the pig farm from the site of the Lety u Písku concentration camp. We appreciate this statesmanlike deed all the more because it was undertaken during an election year. Representatives of the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust in the Czech Republic have therefore decided to give the members of the previous cabinet who were responsible, to a decisive degree, for these reparations at Lety an award for their display of humanity," the invitation reads.
VPORH is organizing charter buses from Prague to Lety and back for those who wish to attend as follows: "The bus will be parked as usual in front of the main gate to the Praha-Florenc bus station, underneath the overpass, by the final stop for municipal bus number 133, and it will be marked with a sign reading 'Lety'. Departure is at 9:45."
It is possible to reserve a seat on the bus from Prague by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or an SMS to +420 603 247 617. The Museum of Romani Culture is also organizing a charter bus from Brno and it is possible to reserve seats on that bus by e-mailing email@example.com.
Program of the 13 May commemorative ceremony
12:00 Czech national anthem, followed by the hymn of the Romani prisoners of the Nazi concentration camps
12:10 Welcoming of participants
12:15 Laying of floral offerings at the memorial
13:10 Spiritual reflection
13:25 Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust "Award for Humanity", given to those figures who advocated on behalf of the Czech Government for making the site of the former concentration camp at Lety u Písku a more dignified place of remembrance
13:45 Cultural program performed by Carlos Vlasák (Sinto)
14:40 Closing of the official part of the ceremony, tour of the alterations to the former concentration camp site, optional visit to the cemetery in Mirovice (2 km) to lay flowers at the mass grave of the child victims of the camp.
- Czech PM to attend commemorative ceremony to honor Holocaust victims who are Romani
- PHOTOGALLERY: Commemorative ceremony honoring the memories of the Romani victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku
- FULL VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony honoring the memory of the Romani victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku
- Hundreds of Romani people from around the Czech Republic and Europe to attend 13 May ceremony at Lety by Písek
- Czech commemoration at site of Nazi massacre tomorrow will not feature xenophobic speaker
- EEA and Norway Grants will support building of memorial to Romani victims of the Holocaust at former concentration camp site
- Interview: Patriotism is not the same as hating those who are different
- Czech descendants of WWII resistance fighters demand senator resign over speech at Holocaust memorial
- Czech Senator compares environmental, gender equality, multiculturalism advocacy to racism and totalitarianism at Holocaust site
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at the former Lety concentration camp attended by 200 people
- LIVE AT NOON TODAY: Commemoration at the former concentration camp for Roma in Lety, Czech Republic
- Commemoration at WWII-era concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic to give Award for Humanity in memoriam to Dr Alfred Bader
- Miroslav Kováč, former chair of the Equal Opportunities Party in the Czech Republic, has passed away after a long illness
- PHOTO GALLERY: Demonstration by the "Freedom and Direct Democracy" movement and those counter-protesting it
- Čeněk Růžička on lower house refusing to strip MP of immunity for remarks denying the Holocaust of the Roma: They're playing with fire
- Czech lower house decides not to strip MP of immunity over his remarks denying the Holocaust of the Roma