U.S. diplomats discuss situation of Romani people in Europe during Czech visit
Representatives of nine U.S. embassies from the Central and East European region, the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Helsinki Commission met in Prague and Brno in April to discuss the current situation of Roma in the region. The representatives shared best practices, policies and projects that help to successfully integrate Roma people into majority societies and to empower them.
The main topics discussed were inclusive education, housing and the media. Romani activist Čeněk Růžička, whose family members were imprisoned at the Lety camp during World War II, shared his family story with the group at the Residence of the U.S. Ambassador and talked about the plans for the creation of a new memorial at the site of the former camp.
On Sunday, 13 May the annual commemorative ceremony will take place at Lety. It will be the first such ceremony during which there will no longer be pigs on the site of the former concentration camp.
- Margareta Matache and Cornel West on the common struggle of African Americans and Roma against white normativity
- Commentary: Czech politician calls police on American couple - because they're black
- American and Canadian embassies in Prague display Romani flag for International Romani Day
- American Ambassador to Czech Republic Cites Roma Causes, Russian Threat in Final Press Conference
- COMMENTARY: Trump's bucket of filth
- USA: Holocaust deniers, neo-Nazis, QAnon followers and racist supporters of white supremacy attacked Congress to support Trump
- USA: Extremist supporters of Trump attack Capitol building, disrupt joint session of Congress, four dead, media and world leaders call it an attack on democracy
- Czech court gives suspended sentence to adults who assaulted young Romani children physically and verbally in a park last year
- Czech Republic: Further action needed to integrate Roma children in schools and prevent discrimination against LGBTI persons
- COMMENTARY: Czech TV show portrays Roma as nothing but criminals
- Romani community in third-largest Czech city donates truckload of vitamins to hospital in gratitude for their work during COVID-19
- Romani celebrities in Czech Republic with COVID-19 use social media to warn others, but will they be believed?
- Civil society skeptical as to whether EU Member States will align with European Commission's 10-year Roma Strategy
- European Commission VP Věra Jourová: Not enough was done during the last decade for Roma, the EC is launching a new 10-year plan
- Commentary: What are the Romani candidates running for the fascists in the Czech Republic thinking?
- Romani candidate in Czech regional elections says politicians don't have to be corrupt