U.S. diplomats discuss situation of Romani people in Europe during Czech visit
Representatives of nine U.S. embassies from the Central and East European region, the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Helsinki Commission met in Prague and Brno in April to discuss the current situation of Roma in the region. The representatives shared best practices, policies and projects that help to successfully integrate Roma people into majority societies and to empower them.
The main topics discussed were inclusive education, housing and the media. Romani activist Čeněk Růžička, whose family members were imprisoned at the Lety camp during World War II, shared his family story with the group at the Residence of the U.S. Ambassador and talked about the plans for the creation of a new memorial at the site of the former camp.
On Sunday, 13 May the annual commemorative ceremony will take place at Lety. It will be the first such ceremony during which there will no longer be pigs on the site of the former concentration camp.
- Margareta Matache and Cornel West on the common struggle of African Americans and Roma against white normativity
- Commentary: Czech politician calls police on American couple - because they're black
- American and Canadian embassies in Prague display Romani flag for International Romani Day
- American Ambassador to Czech Republic Cites Roma Causes, Russian Threat in Final Press Conference
- Czech President Havel protested against the wall separating non-Roma from Roma on Matiční Street 20 years ago
- Pavel Botoš: Who will stop the use of terms like "cigoši" in the Czech Republic?
- Iveta Bílková: Czech society should not tolerate words like "Cigán", "Cigoši", etc.
- Roma are most frequently targeted by hatred on the Czech Internet, experts say the law applies online too
- Czech Govt report on the state of the Romani minority estimates 830 ghettos with 127 000 inhabitants in the regions
- Slovakia: Café Európa discusses underrepresentation of Romani people in politics
- Slovak President Zuzana Čaputová has breakfast with Romani students
- VIDEO: Ostentatious homes built by Roma community in Romania reflect their desire for prestige
- Jozef Miker: Those who care about the homeless in the Czech Republic are bringing them food for free
- Slovak homeowner considers selling to Roma, so his neighbors graffiti his house and puncture his tires
- Organizer of 8 July protest by Romani people in Brussels is corrected by incoming MEP - "I've never spoken with him"
- Slovak court grants early release to vigilante who murdered three Roma at their home, prosecutor complains