Ultra right's event in Litvinov unacceptable - Czech minister
Michael Kocab, the new Czech minister in charge of human rights and minorities, today labelled "totally unacceptable" the event the far-right Workers' Party (DS) staged in Janov, Romany-populated housing estate in the north Bohemian town Litvinov, on Saturday.
About 30 members of the DS "patrols" marched through Janov, an area with prevailing low-income residents, mainly Romanies before noon on Saturday.
No incidents accompanied the march, but a few months ago the DS's similar action resulted it a clash between the extremists and the police who tried to prevent them from entering Janov.
On Saturday, the DS patrols distributed leaflets to "white" local residents, along with questionaries enquiring into how they are satisfied with the measures the town hall has taken to restore order in Janov.
Local Romanies watched the patrols from the windows and balconies of their flats, scolded them and asked them to leave Janov.
Many of the "white" residents express open support for the right-wing radicals.
"The DS's manners are in many points reminiscent of the situation in Germany before the arrival of Nazism, when militant SA groups, too, first monitored the streets of German cities, but they quickly switched to armed violence," Kocab said today in a press release given to CTK.
He said he will convoke a meeting to discuss Romanies' integration in the majority society and their social exclusion.
Some time ago the Czech government proposed that the court outlaw the DS over its repeated violation of law.
In reaction to it, DS chairman Tomas Vandas said that a new party with a programme similar to the DS's would emerge in a fortnight if the DS were banned.
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- USA: Holocaust deniers, neo-Nazis, QAnon followers and racist supporters of white supremacy attacked Congress to support Trump
- USA: Extremist supporters of Trump attack Capitol building, disrupt joint session of Congress, four dead, media and world leaders call it an attack on democracy
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- German court sentences terrorist who attacked Halle synagogue last year to life in prison
- Czech ultra-right oppose vaccinations against COVID-19 with antisemitic caricature
- Racists in Czech capital assault non-white family, call the father "Cikán", give the Nazi salute, try to take their baby
- In the V-4, COVID-19 pandemic exploited for ultra-right hoaxes, calls for authoritarianism
- Czech protest against COVID-19 response brings together the far-right, those against the PM, those against the opposition, xenophobes - and punks