US Embassy in Prague displays Romani flag in honor of International Romani Day
The Embassy of the United States of America in Prague has displayed the Romani flag on its building to mark International Romani Day and US Ambassador Andrew Schapiro has released a video in which he expresses his support for the inclusion of Romani people into society and the principles of equal treatment. "The Embassy of the United States in Prague is celebrating the rich cultural heritage of the Roma and their contributions to the world today. On the occasion of International Romani Day we would like to greet all Romani people everywhere and wish them all the best. Bachtalo Romano D‘ives," the Ambassador says in the message.
Participants in the embassy's "Roma Fellowship Program" professional internship, Denisa Horváthová of the Slovo 21 organization and David Tišer of the ARA ART organization, appear with him in the video. "International Romani Day is an occasion to show our respect for Romani culture and heritage, but it is also an opportunity for us raise awareness of the fact that this group of, frequently living on the outskirts of society, is facing discrimination," the Embassy's press release says.
Representatives of the United States regularly express support for Romani people on International Romani Day. Both this year and last, US Secretary of State John Kerry released a statement on behalf of President Barack Obama and last year the US Embassy in Bratislava, Slovakia displayed the Romani flag.
- John Kerry on International Romani Day: Today we celebrate the rich cultural heritage of Roma and their contributions to society
- Czech Human Rights Minister on International Romani Day: Quality education, more awareness of Romani culture, history, language all important
- Czech Republic: International Romani Day celebration to honor the invisible in Prague
- Czech Television humiliates Romani people on their International Day
- US Embassy to the Czech Republic expresses appreciation to activists who fought for compensation for illegally sterilized people
- Coalition of Romani Representatives of the Liberec Region, Czech Republic responds to critique of one of their members' live broadcasts on social media
- Czech Police President backs officers who intervened against Romani man who later died, expresses regret at the loss of life - the first such statement
- US administration greets Roma on 8 April, Romani flag up at the US Embassy in Prague
- Czech mayor castigates residential hotel evictees over their impending homelessness
- USA: Four-month-old Romani boy is youngest child to be separated from his parents at the border with Mexico
- Stanislava Ondová on child abuse case in the Czech Republic: Where does society's responsibility begin and end?
- Czech Embassy in Italy trying to prevent neo-Fascist co-optation of Czechoslovak historical figure Jan Palach there
- Czech Constitutional Court to review controversial local ordinance about sitting in public
- LIVE: Civil society members of Czech Govt Council for Romani Minority Affairs make statement
- U.S. diplomats discuss situation of Romani people in Europe during Czech visit
- US Ambassador hangs the Romani flag at the US Embassy in Prague