VIDEO: How did Romani people live in the Czech lands before they were sent to concentration camps? Exhibition "A Vanished World" in Prague shows how
The travelling exhibition "A Vanished World" (Zaniklý svět), about the indigenous Czech Roma and Sinti people during the interwar period, has been prepared by the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust (Výbor pro odškodnění romského holocaustu - VPORH) and will be on display in Prague between now and October. Through rare archival materials and photographs from that era, the exhibition presents the lives of Roma and Sinti people in the Czech lands prior to their imprisonment in the Nazi concentration camps.
On 13 May the exhibition will be available to view at the Lety u Písku memorial where the annual commemorative ceremony for the Romani victims of the Holocaust will be held by the VPORH. There were more than 1 309 Romani children, men and women imprisoned at the Lety camp who were forced to live (and some, to die) in the inhumane, undignified conditions there.
Another group of more than 1 300 Romani people also passed through the camp at Hodonín u Kunštátu. At least 194 prisoners died directly at Hodonín and 326 people at Lety.
During the Second World War at least half a million European Roma and Sinti people died. Some estimates state the number of victims as being as many as 800 000, i.e., as much as half the population of Roma in Europe at the time.
The exhibition will be on view next at the following locations and times:
May 13 - Lety u Písku Memorial
May 23 – 25 - Prague 18, in front of the post office
June 8 – 9 - Prague 4, Budějovicka metro station
June 10 - Festival Kaleidoskop, Park na Pankráci, Prague 4, Pankrác
September 24 - Park Přátelství, Prague 9, Prosek
September 25 - Náměstí OSN, Prague 9, Vysočany
September 26 - ETNOFEST at Park Podviní, Prague 9, Vysočany
October 11 – 12 - Prague 20, Horní Počernice
October 13 - Prague 20, trade show of social services, Chvalská tvrz, Horní Počernice
- Outdoor travelling exhibition about indigenous Czech Roma and Sinti victims of the Holocaust on view in Prague
- 19th annual KHAMORO festival in Prague: Conferences, exhibitions, football - and music
- VIDEO: Exhibition about Romani jewelry in Brno on view until the end of April
- "Roma Rising" exhibition featuring portraits of Roma from Czech Republic to open in Kladno
- Czech archaeological samples yet to find exact location of victims' mass grave at Romani genocide site
- Grand opening of "slow fashion" shop in Prague will be broadcast live online by ROMEA 25 October
- Czech Police do not find politicians' remarks about Romani genocide site to have been criminal
- Czech Government releases funds to demolish pig farm on Romani genocide site, archaeological survey will happen
- Eyewitnesses allege staff at Czech lake did not help Vietnamese mothers look for their children, who drowned
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture still waiting for funds for demolition of pig farm on genocide site
- Czech institutions designing memorial about the genocide of the Roma are inspired by Norwegian remembrance sites
- Czech court rules activists did not enrich themselves by using abandoned building, state may go to Supreme Court
- Romani entrepreneurs push for unemployed Roma, not foreigners, to be hired for Czech bark beetle eradication
- Nationalists desecrate Czech memorial to genocide of the Roma
- Czech children's home turns Prague streets into summer camp, complete with parcour, this Thursday
- Commentary: Terezin commemoration this year was a travesty, civil society group calls for director's dismissal
Tags:Lety u Písku, Pietní akce, Praha, romský holocaust
Czech court fines seven racists for approving of the murder of a Romani man, but one is appealing - for the publicity4.11.2018 12:04
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.