Video recording of discussion on social residential hotels in Czech Republic
On Monday 15 April 2013 a discussion was held about so-called “social residential hotels” in the Czech Republic. The event in the conference space of HUB PRAHA, called “Garbage dumps for those we don’t want”, discussed whether the state should support such facilities or close them.
Those speaking included:
- Helena Jedináková, director of the Social Services Unit at the Life Together (Vzájemné soužití) civic association in Ostrava
- Miroslav Kalous, Deputy Regional Development Minister for housing and zoning policy
- Michaela Marksová – Tominová, Shadow Human Rights and Equal Opportunities Minster, Czech Social Democratic Party (ČSSD)
- Štěpán Ripka, social anthropologist, Faculty of Humanities, Charles University in Prague
- Matěj Stropnický, Vice-Chair of the Czech Green Party (Strana zelených) and Vice-Mayor of the Prague 3 municipal department
- Martin Šimáček, director, Czech Government Agency for Social Inclusion
- Martin Škabraha, philosopher, Ostrava University, member of the ProAlt initiative
- Viktor Mahrik, Czech Pirate Party (Pirátská strana), guarantor of the Equality section of the party platform
A video recording of the discussion (in Czech only) can be viewed at:
- How were Romani members of the Czechoslovak Legionnaires rewarded for their service?
- Yet another Czech town bans housing benefits, opposition politician and Romani NGO object
- Commentary: Czech President Zeman's racism and Romani people
- Czech Republic: 88 cities in 12 regions plan to ban housing benefits in specific zones
- Czech Republic: Realtor tells tenants they'd better not be on welfare
- Interview with Czech and European kickbox champion from the Romani community, Václav Sivák
- Celebrated Romani composer Tomáš Kačo releases debut CD "My Home" and will perform soon in Prague
- Italian Deputy Prime Minister says EU Justice Commissioner's critique of Italy's treatment of Roma is "nonsense"
- Czech organization remembers the Nazi genocide and aids its Romani victims
- Czech Public Defender of Rights will help launch new publication about Romani political and social engagement
- Czech Govt Agency for Social Inclusion: 80 % of families who left residential hotels for standard rentals still renting one year later
- Portugal: Christian radio station awarded prize for working to reduce inter-ethnic tension in Slovakia