Vladimír Leško: Dozens of Roma are returning from the UK to the Ostrava area of the Czech Republic, they and others will be tested for COVID-19
News server Romea.cz has interviewed Vladimír Leško, a Romani community member currently in contact with representatives of the Moravian-Silesian Region who is doing his best to aid them with mapping the situation of families returning to that part of the Czech Republic from England. According to him, currently each returnee will be tested for the virus, but most do not have private accommodation and had been intending to live with relatives.
Leško says that problem is currently being addressed and there is an attempt underway to arrange dignified temporary housing for these individuals so it will be possible for them to comply with quarantine. "Dozens of Romani people are heading for the Ostrava area, above all from Great Britain. Many of them, however, do not have their own apartments in which to undergo quarantine, and for that reason they are staying with their families. That does not seem appropriate to us, though. We want to minimize the opportunity for the infection to spread, and so we have proposed compulsory testing for them combined with the option of spending some time in subsitute accommodation. The conditions apply to all equally," he explained.
- European Roma and Travellers Forum President makes statement about COVID-19 pandemic, thanks health care professionals
- Romani doctor in the Czech Republic: This work is enormously meaningful during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Disinformation about COVID-19 in Czech first spread from Russian server, according to new analysis
- Czech bill would make it possible to apply for unemployment benefits electronically in order to prevent COVID-19 spread
- Czech bill would prevent evictions due to nonpayment of rent during COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech primary schools begin first-grade enrollment, children not present due to COVID-19 restrictions
- Czech Agency for Social Inclusion director gives interview about state support during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Romani residents of Czech town organize collection for child welfare NGO to fight COVID-19, dozens pitch in
- Romani doctor urges community in the Czech Republic to prevent COVID-19 from spreading
- Romani entrepreneurs bring gifts to hospital staff in Czech town during COVID-19
- Romani residents of Czech housing estate thank those battling COVID-19 with hearts in windows
- UK Holocaust commemoration features Romani activist Daniela Abraham, who met with royals
- Petr Torák: Hate crimes spiked in the UK after the Brexit referendum, what will the elections bring?
- UK: Anti-fascists, Roma, students thwart planned meeting of Slovak fascists in London
- British environmental activist causes rift in international movement with remarks minimizing the Holocaust
- Czech Govt Roma Council, Public Defender of Rights release handbook on how Czech citizens can return from Britain
- Czech ultra-nationalist falsely attributes acid attack committed by native British man to "Muslim immigrants"
- British MPs reject Brexit agreement - what now for the EU citizens of Roma origin there?
- British newspaper The Guardian: Debt collection industry is endangering Czech democracy
- Commentary: Czech TV Prima broadcasts manipulative report about Roma returning from Britain en masse
- Czech PM says EU must become less bureaucratic, Slovak Govt tells its nationals in Britain not to worry yet
- Romea.cz survey: Roma from abroad living in Britain fear for their future after Brexit
- Pavel Botoš: Brexit will cause big problems for Romani families from abroad now living in Britain
- Brexit: Great Britain says it wants to leave the European Union
- Czech Romanies moving to Britain
- Romani doctor in Czech Republic will get vaccinated and is disturbed by COVID-19 disinformation
- Best of the Romani musicians program BAŠAVEL in 2020, broadcast online by Czech NGO ROMEA
- Once persecuted, the Salesians have run programs unlike any others for Romani children for 30 years in third-largest Czech city
- Romani community in third-largest Czech city donates truckload of vitamins to hospital in gratitude for their work during COVID-19
- Slovak Govt Roma Plenipotentiary says Romani community rates of COVID-19 infection the same as majority-society rates
- Young Roma in the Czech Republic call on community to protect themselves from COVID-19 and not believe everything they read online
- Romani musician in Czech Republic regrets believing COVID-19 was fake now that he's had it
- Romani journalists in Czech Republic call on community to uphold measures against pandemic
- Czech court sentences perpetrator to five years for racist assault on Romani man, both defense and prosecution considering appeal
- Romani women call on Czech MPs to take the first step toward compensating forcibly, illegally sterilized persons, 150 figures support them
- UK: Thousands of Czech citizens, mainly Roma, don't have the documents they need to apply for settled status
- Czech town announces public collection to aid Romani family whose house caught fire last week