Winner of Czech-Slovak singing competition "The Voice" subjected to racist attacks online
Annamária d’Almeida, the latest winner of the "The Voice", a televised singing competition, is facing racist attacks online from Czech-speaking Internet users. While most viewers are congratulating her, some are dissatisfied.
Their dislike has to do with the singer's ethnic origin. "She's as Czech as a block of wood," commented one Facebook user.
"Wasn't this a Czechoslovak competition?" another Facebook user posted. Yet another cast doubt on whether the voting had been rigged, posting: "This victory was predetermined, its modern multiculturalism. This is crap. TV Nova and Czech Television are just kissing the EU's ass ..."
Most of those posting online, however, expressed respect for the singer's victory. Some have even attempted to guide the comments in a better direction.
- Czech Senator compares environmental, gender equality, multiculturalism advocacy to racism and totalitarianism at Holocaust site
- Racist band associated with a leader of "Right Sector" in Ukraine to play in Czech Republic today
- Slovakia: Romani children from excluded communities sing Romani national anthem at the Presidential Palace
- Czech hockey fans taunt Romani player with racist abuse, owner of the team they support asks league to hand down punishment
- VIDEO: Kickbox champ of Czech Republic wins again, celebrates with the Romani flag
- Czech Prime Minister expresses condolences over the death of legendary Romani singer
- Romani athlete Dominik Oračko of the Czech Republic wins two gold medals and one silver at the Youth World Weightlifting Championships
- Věra Bílá, legendary singer from the Romani community, has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Romani girl who won race in Slovakia while running in flats keeps on winning
- Czech eyewitnesses to assault on African man say they fear for their lives if they testify
- Czech Republic: Nationwide Talent 2018 competition for children from drop-in clubs holds its final show
- Czech court hears accused assailants of African man deny they racially abused him in any way
- Czech Police propose indicting football fans who assaulted African man on a Prague tram for racist reasons
- Czech football fans who assaulted African man on Prague tram have not been banned from matches
- Hungary: Romani duo from Slovakia win the "X Factor" music competition
- Belgian edition of TV competition "The Voice" won by 13-year-old Romani girl from Slovakia
- Czech Republic: Romani street musician shines in "Pianist of the Year" competition
- Slovakia: Black model in ad sparks racist commentary
- Czech Human Rights Minister says he will shop at Lidl after racists criticize its use of a black model
- Thirty years of freedom: Roma in the Czech Republic wanted totalitarianism to end, value the chance to do business, lament antigypsyism
- Czech Regional Court returns online hate speech case about death threats against first-graders to lower court, more evidence needed
- Michal Mižigár: What democracy brought us Romani people in the Czech Republic in the 1990s
- Romani community member becomes Miss Czech Republic
- Lifeguard gets state honors from Czech President for injuries sustained in brawl that sparked ultra-right anti-Romani demonstration
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin wins gold in Sarajevo
- Pavel Botoš: Who will stop the use of terms like "cigoši" in the Czech Republic?
- Iveta Bílková: Czech society should not tolerate words like "Cigán", "Cigoši", etc.
- Roma are most frequently targeted by hatred on the Czech Internet, experts say the law applies online too
- Patrik Banga: Social media is depriving us of context and driving us all crazy
- Czech court gives suspended sentences and fines to "Bloc against Islamicization" followers over death threats to random pedestrians
- Czech court frees women charged with promoting Nazism more than a decade ago