Winner of Czech-Slovak singing competition "The Voice" subjected to racist attacks online
Annamária d’Almeida, the latest winner of the "The Voice", a televised singing competition, is facing racist attacks online from Czech-speaking Internet users. While most viewers are congratulating her, some are dissatisfied.
Their dislike has to do with the singer's ethnic origin. "She's as Czech as a block of wood," commented one Facebook user.
"Wasn't this a Czechoslovak competition?" another Facebook user posted. Yet another cast doubt on whether the voting had been rigged, posting: "This victory was predetermined, its modern multiculturalism. This is crap. TV Nova and Czech Television are just kissing the EU's ass ..."
Most of those posting online, however, expressed respect for the singer's victory. Some have even attempted to guide the comments in a better direction.
- Czech Senator compares environmental, gender equality, multiculturalism advocacy to racism and totalitarianism at Holocaust site
- Racist band associated with a leader of "Right Sector" in Ukraine to play in Czech Republic today
- Slovakia: Romani children from excluded communities sing Romani national anthem at the Presidential Palace
- Czech hockey fans taunt Romani player with racist abuse, owner of the team they support asks league to hand down punishment
- VIDEO: Kickbox champ of Czech Republic wins again, celebrates with the Romani flag
- Czech Prime Minister expresses condolences over the death of legendary Romani singer
- Romani athlete Dominik Oračko of the Czech Republic wins two gold medals and one silver at the Youth World Weightlifting Championships
- Věra Bílá, legendary singer from the Romani community, has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Romani girl who won race in Slovakia while running in flats keeps on winning
- Czech eyewitnesses to assault on African man say they fear for their lives if they testify
- Czech Republic: Nationwide Talent 2018 competition for children from drop-in clubs holds its final show
- Czech court hears accused assailants of African man deny they racially abused him in any way
- Czech Police propose indicting football fans who assaulted African man on a Prague tram for racist reasons
- Czech football fans who assaulted African man on Prague tram have not been banned from matches
- Hungary: Romani duo from Slovakia win the "X Factor" music competition
- Belgian edition of TV competition "The Voice" won by 13-year-old Romani girl from Slovakia
- Czech Republic: Romani street musician shines in "Pianist of the Year" competition
- Slovakia: Black model in ad sparks racist commentary
- Czech Human Rights Minister says he will shop at Lidl after racists criticize its use of a black model
- Czech capital to see demonstration in support of Romani refugees from Ukraine calling for dignified conditions
- Tent city in Czech capital has not solved the situation of the Romani refugees from Ukraine, hundreds at main station, few with Hungarian passports
- Czech Health Minister: Room for Romani refugees from Ukraine has to be found outside of Prague
- Czech university distances itself from e-mail alleging increased security needed for dorm because of refugees from Ukraine
- Czech Caritas branch objects to Romani political party's critique of aid to Romani refugees from Ukraine, party stands by its allegations
- Jarmila Balážová: Condemnation of refugee Romani children and their mothers from Ukraine is unfair when their brothers, fathers and sons are fighting back at home!
- Prague Mayor tells Czech Govt that if refugees are not redistributed elsewhere in the country by Tuesday, he will close the assistance center
- VIDEO: Tents for Romani refugees from Ukraine were erected in the Czech capital in the Troja neighborhood
- Mayor of Prague says if the Czech state does not systematize the distribution of refugees it will close its aid center, tent city supposedly being built
- Commentary: Arrogant behavior of Czech Railways staff toward Romani refugees from Ukraine and absurd police proposals
- Romani nonprofits and civil society members of the Czech Govt Council on Roma Minority Affairs call on PM to hold a crisis meeting with them about aid to Romani Ukrainian refugees
- Czech Police seem to prevent Romani refugees from disembarking at station, but say they just informed them there is no accommodation available in the country's second-largest city