Winner of Czech-Slovak singing competition "The Voice" subjected to racist attacks online
Annamária d’Almeida, the latest winner of the "The Voice", a televised singing competition, is facing racist attacks online from Czech-speaking Internet users. While most viewers are congratulating her, some are dissatisfied.
Their dislike has to do with the singer's ethnic origin. "She's as Czech as a block of wood," commented one Facebook user.
"Wasn't this a Czechoslovak competition?" another Facebook user posted. Yet another cast doubt on whether the voting had been rigged, posting: "This victory was predetermined, its modern multiculturalism. This is crap. TV Nova and Czech Television are just kissing the EU's ass ..."
Most of those posting online, however, expressed respect for the singer's victory. Some have even attempted to guide the comments in a better direction.
- Czech Senator compares environmental, gender equality, multiculturalism advocacy to racism and totalitarianism at Holocaust site
- Racist band associated with a leader of "Right Sector" in Ukraine to play in Czech Republic today
- Slovakia: Romani children from excluded communities sing Romani national anthem at the Presidential Palace
- Czech hockey fans taunt Romani player with racist abuse, owner of the team they support asks league to hand down punishment
- VIDEO: Kickbox champ of Czech Republic wins again, celebrates with the Romani flag
- Czech Prime Minister expresses condolences over the death of legendary Romani singer
- Romani athlete Dominik Oračko of the Czech Republic wins two gold medals and one silver at the Youth World Weightlifting Championships
- Věra Bílá, legendary singer from the Romani community, has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Romani girl who won race in Slovakia while running in flats keeps on winning
- Czech eyewitnesses to assault on African man say they fear for their lives if they testify
- Czech Republic: Nationwide Talent 2018 competition for children from drop-in clubs holds its final show
- Czech court hears accused assailants of African man deny they racially abused him in any way
- Czech Police propose indicting football fans who assaulted African man on a Prague tram for racist reasons
- Czech football fans who assaulted African man on Prague tram have not been banned from matches
- Hungary: Romani duo from Slovakia win the "X Factor" music competition
- Belgian edition of TV competition "The Voice" won by 13-year-old Romani girl from Slovakia
- Czech Republic: Romani street musician shines in "Pianist of the Year" competition
- Slovakia: Black model in ad sparks racist commentary
- Czech Human Rights Minister says he will shop at Lidl after racists criticize its use of a black model
- Czech bodybuilder fined for approving of murder of Romani man, he appeals
- Facebook will delete posts denying or distorting the Holocaust, ignorance of it among youth one reason
- Slovak politician gets 4 months and 4 years for establishing a movement to suppress human rights, he appeals
- Portugueuse police ordered to remove racist tattoos
- Czech poll finds 30 % of the public does not want Romani children in mainstream classes and does want them to be segregated
- Czech Interior Ministry: Ultranationalist party attempted to spark anti-Romani sentiment, extremists and xenophobes spread disinformation about COVID-19
- Czech court upholds suspended sentence for man who called for non-white first-graders to be gassed to death
- Commentary: What are the Romani candidates running for the fascists in the Czech Republic thinking?
- Czech court sentences perpetrator to five years for racist assault on Romani man, both defense and prosecution considering appeal
- COMMENTARY: Romani actors should refuse to perpetuate stereotypes in Czech television programs
- Commentary: Work on antisemitism by US professor reminds us of antigypsyism in the Czech Republic today
- European Commission acknowledges racism is structural and beefs up the fight against racial discrimination