Woman says intercity bus driver in northern Czech town racially abused her and called for the death of all Roma before physically throwing her onto a road
In Most, Czech Republic, police are investigating an incident that happened on Thursday, 4 August on bus no. 30 of the Litvínov and Most Public Transit Company. Růžena Horvátová alleges she was both verbally and physically assaulted by a driver on that line.
The driver is said to have first attacked her verbally before the entire incident culminated in his using force to throw her out of the bus. She alleges he shouted racist insults at her the entire time.
"When I got on the bus I bought a ticket from the driver for CZK 17 [EUR 0.67]. When I asked for my three crowns in change, he said he didn't have it. Moreover, he began to verbally abuse me, saying that I am rude, that I hadn't greeted him and that we are all rude, that we should be sent to the gas chambers and that a Hitler was needed to deal with us," Horváthová described the experience in an interview on the Facebook social network for the SOS Investigative Counseling Center (SOS Investigativní poradnu).
"When I attempted to photograph him he slammed on the brakes, stood up, walked over and grabbed the phone out of my hand. I grabbed it back. Then he grabbed me by the arm and threw me out of the bus. I hit the railing there in the road. The driver then closed the bus door and drove away," she described.
Horváthová then called the police and showed them her arm injury and her bus ticket, which she had properly paid for. That document shows the driver's service number was 4837 and the bus was listed as number 00010.
"On Thursday evening the police contacted me to say they are dealing with the case," she said, adding that she has filed a complaint against the driver with the Litvínov and Most Public Transit Company. Horváthová also told CNN Prima News the police protocol about the incident does not include her allegations that the driver shouted racial abuse.
- "Kamara - just a n****r" - Czech Police looking for football fans who published racist banner
- Czech court upholds conviction for making dangerous threats after neighbor threatens to kill three Romani women and their children with an ax
- At remembrance event, chair of the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust says Okamura is one of the Czech politicians agitating against Romani people
- Editor-in-Chief of Czech media outlet appeals direct sentencing for publishing antigypsyist content, the case will be heard in open court
- Czech bus driver refuses to drive city bus with bigoted campaign ad, mayor negotiates its removal
- Czech Republic: Driver runs into Romani boy in crosswalk, shouts racist abuse at him and drives off
- Slovak bus company caught on video repeatedly denying some Romani passengers service
- Czech Police: Autopsy clears us in death of Stanislav Tomáš, attorney for his family doubts its findings, ERRC says they will continue to pursue justice despite police rhetoric
- Czech prosecutor finds livestreamed remarks made in pub about "stabbing" politician rise to the level of a misdemeanor only
- Czech court to hear appeal in case of brutal assault by non-Romani adults on Romani children in Lipník nad Bečvou
- Czech Supreme Court upholds sentence for hate posted about non-white first-graders: Not a joke, but the promotion of Nazism
- Czech Police prosecuting one of the men who assaulted Romani people in Sokolov this summer, Internal Affairs says officers' procedure was correct
- Czech MP Okamura (SPD) to lose lower house vice-chair post because of his hatemongering, according to Civic Democratic Party member
- Czech MP loses re-election and immunity, police reopen case of his calling Lety a "non-existent, pseudo-concentration camp" for Roma
- Hungarian court rules Romani children were discriminatorily institutionalized because of their origin and social status
- Czech welfare chauvinists call for abolition of inclusion, renewal of "special schools", and denial of welfare to "inadaptables"
- Czech Interior Minister, SocDem chair: The position of Roma will improve by combating the collections mafia and traffickers in poverty
- Czech Bar Association reprimands attorney for approving of "joke" calling for the gassing of non-white first-graders, he appeals
- Czech man sentenced to three months in prison, suspended for one year, for assaulting Romani boy, but racial motivation is ignored