Football gives Travellers a sporting chance
Premier League football club aims to encourage other teams to promote the game to Roma and Travelling communities.
Jason McCarthy has just scored a hat-trick against Bitty United. "They took it very well considering we won 8-3," he acknowledges. The "we" is a team called Goals Before Heroics, or GBH for short. "There are black lads, Asian lads, some white British lads and five are Travellers such as myself," McCarthy explains.
The accent is Irish, although he was born in Southall, west London, 22 years ago. "That's probably because we go back and forth to Ireland a lot," he says. It could also be a reflection of the insularity of a community that, although long settled in the London borough of Ealing, has never felt at home.
The Ealing Travellers' Achievement Service has set out to address that problem. Its manager, Jake George, spotted McCarthy's footballing skills and helped to put them at the disposal of Moving the Goalposts, Queens Park Rangers' initiative to provide high-quality sporting facilities for local Travelling communities. McCarthy is doing his grade 2 coaching certificate with QPR's community trust.
- Slovak tabloid covers funeral of Romani woman as spectacle
- Petr Torák: The COVID-19 pandemic is getting worse in Britain, dozens of Roma are returning to the Czech Republic
- Slovakia: Romani girl who ran her first race in flats now national silver medalist
- "Gypsy King" Tyson Fury defeats Wilder to become world boxing champion
- UK Holocaust commemoration features Romani activist Daniela Abraham, who met with royals
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency to publish results of research with Roma and Travellers in six EU Member States
- Petr Torák: Hate crimes spiked in the UK after the Brexit referendum, what will the elections bring?
- Czech court again acquits youths accused of assaulting man because of his skin color, prosecutor may appeal
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin wins gold in Sarajevo
- Czech ice hockey friendly goes uncompleted after fans racially abuse Romani player and his team stops play in protest
- Slovakia: Romani girl from settlement now champion runner in her region
- England: Czech emigré of Romani origin establishes boxing team for children from the Czech Republic and Slovakia