Football gives Travellers a sporting chance
Premier League football club aims to encourage other teams to promote the game to Roma and Travelling communities.
Jason McCarthy has just scored a hat-trick against Bitty United. "They took it very well considering we won 8-3," he acknowledges. The "we" is a team called Goals Before Heroics, or GBH for short. "There are black lads, Asian lads, some white British lads and five are Travellers such as myself," McCarthy explains.
The accent is Irish, although he was born in Southall, west London, 22 years ago. "That's probably because we go back and forth to Ireland a lot," he says. It could also be a reflection of the insularity of a community that, although long settled in the London borough of Ealing, has never felt at home.
The Ealing Travellers' Achievement Service has set out to address that problem. Its manager, Jake George, spotted McCarthy's footballing skills and helped to put them at the disposal of Moving the Goalposts, Queens Park Rangers' initiative to provide high-quality sporting facilities for local Travelling communities. McCarthy is doing his grade 2 coaching certificate with QPR's community trust.
- Tyson Fury, a.k.a. the "Gypsy King", has defended his title as boxing champion of the world
- Romani runner in Slovakia whose junior career has been so hopeful confirms she is pregnant
- Czech football club Sparta has identified the fans who shouted racist insults at Monaco player, filed a crime report against them and banned them from stadiums
- "Kamara - just a n****r" - Czech Police looking for football fans who published racist banner
- Jaroslav Miko: Vaccination doesn't just protect you, it protects us all
- Jan Rác, Romani activist and researcher, has passed away
- Romani player on Czech futsal team says he responds to racism by playing even better
- Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic defeats competitor after 90 seconds
- Czech footballer Ondřej Kúdela, centre-back for Slavia Prague, accused of racism in Glasgow
- Romani kickboxer wins quarter-final of cage match on Czech-Slovak OKTAGON MMA show, withdraws after injury
- Chess player, age 11, is a Romani talent from Slovakia who is defeating adult competitors
- Renáta Plachetková: EU citizens without settled status as of 30 June in the UK will be deported