Football gives Travellers a sporting chance
Premier League football club aims to encourage other teams to promote the game to Roma and Travelling communities.
Jason McCarthy has just scored a hat-trick against Bitty United. "They took it very well considering we won 8-3," he acknowledges. The "we" is a team called Goals Before Heroics, or GBH for short. "There are black lads, Asian lads, some white British lads and five are Travellers such as myself," McCarthy explains.
The accent is Irish, although he was born in Southall, west London, 22 years ago. "That's probably because we go back and forth to Ireland a lot," he says. It could also be a reflection of the insularity of a community that, although long settled in the London borough of Ealing, has never felt at home.
The Ealing Travellers' Achievement Service has set out to address that problem. Its manager, Jake George, spotted McCarthy's footballing skills and helped to put them at the disposal of Moving the Goalposts, Queens Park Rangers' initiative to provide high-quality sporting facilities for local Travelling communities. McCarthy is doing his grade 2 coaching certificate with QPR's community trust.
- UN budget cuts endanger human rights monitoring - deadline to join NGO letter is TOMORROW 26 MAY
- Slovak football tournament brings together diplomats, Roma and politicians for the fifth time
- VIDEO: Kickbox champ of Czech Republic wins again, celebrates with the Romani flag
- England: Requiem mass held for Věra Bílá, the Queen of Romani Music
- Romani athlete Dominik Oračko of the Czech Republic wins two gold medals and one silver at the Youth World Weightlifting Championships
- Romani girl who won race in Slovakia while running in flats keeps on winning
- Romani kickbox champ of Czech Republic celebrates victory at Muay-Thai evening in Slovakia with Romani flag around his shoulders
- British MPs reject Brexit agreement - what now for the EU citizens of Roma origin there?
- Czech and Romani-Slovak rappers box each other in front of sold-out arena in Prague
- Czech Television presents documentary film about Romani singer Věřa Bílá
- Interview with Czech and European kickbox champion from the Romani community, Václav Sivák
- Czech Youth Olympics team has its first medal - Romani community can be proud of the record-setting performance too