French politician gets nine months for comparing minister to monkey
On Tuesday a French court sentenced a former member of the ultra-right party Front National to nine months in prison without the possibility of parole and banned her from participating in politics for five years. On her microblog, Anne-Sophie Leclère compared French Justice Minister Christiane Taubira to a monkey.
The court in the town of Cayenne, the capital of French Guiana, Taubira's birthplace, also fined Leclère EUR 50 000. The Front National has also been fined EUR 30 000.
The party stripped Leclère of her membership last December for her mistakes. The 33-year-old defended herself by claiming that the photo montage of the minister with a monkey "had nothing to do with racism" and had just been a joke.
Leclère also added that she was not the author of the image, which she soon removed from her Facebook page. Justice Minister Taubira was targeted by several racist attacks last year, as well as attacks over the fact that she supported introducing same-sex marriage.
- Slovakia: Video of police intervention against Roma at gas station goes viral, sparks protests
- Czech politicians react to Communist MP's false allegation that honoring the Roma victims of Nazism has raised the price of pork
- Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini faces criticism for calling Romani woman a "dirty gypsy"
- French court convicts six arsonists of attack on Romani people
- Czech court says use of force in response to racist abuse was proportionate, prosecutor appeals
- Slovak homeowner considers selling to Roma, so his neighbors graffiti his house and puncture his tires
- Czech MP says his assistant's remark that refugees could be killed with machine guns does not bother him
- French lawmaker, victimized herself by online hate, drafts law against it
- USA: Neo-Nazi gets life in prison for the Charlottesville massacre
- Slovak court grants early release to vigilante who murdered three Roma at their home, prosecutor complains
- Czech Police investigating hateful online comments inciting violence against Czech Radio reporter that were sparked by politician
- UK court sentences neo-Nazis for threats against Prince Harry because of his marriage to Meghan Markle