French politician gets nine months for comparing minister to monkey
On Tuesday a French court sentenced a former member of the ultra-right party Front National to nine months in prison without the possibility of parole and banned her from participating in politics for five years. On her microblog, Anne-Sophie Leclère compared French Justice Minister Christiane Taubira to a monkey.
The court in the town of Cayenne, the capital of French Guiana, Taubira's birthplace, also fined Leclère EUR 50 000. The Front National has also been fined EUR 30 000.
The party stripped Leclère of her membership last December for her mistakes. The 33-year-old defended herself by claiming that the photo montage of the minister with a monkey "had nothing to do with racism" and had just been a joke.
Leclère also added that she was not the author of the image, which she soon removed from her Facebook page. Justice Minister Taubira was targeted by several racist attacks last year, as well as attacks over the fact that she supported introducing same-sex marriage.
- Czech MP who said she "understood" racist death threats against Romani and other non-white children switches parties
- Czech police use dehumanizing terms if incidents involve Romani people, the media parrot them - and then pogroms begin
- Best Reality, Stars reality corporation s.r.o., DůmRealit.cz, Broker´s Team, CENTURY 21 Finem caught on tape rejecting Roma tenants in Czech Republic, only CENTURY 21 apologizes
- Czech Interior Ministry report finds far-right party was the "super spreader" of hate last year
- Commentary: Czech ombudsman's racist remarks reveal his ignorance of Roma and of history
- Czech lower house sees tussle over President's claims that "Black Lives Matter" is a "racist" slogan
- Czech Internet users fall for ultra-right disinformation parody - and instead of laughing, they lash out
- Czech MP Karel Schwarzenberg: Mr President, you've committed another complete faux pas
- Czech President Zeman marks US Independence Day by calling Black Lives Matter "racist"
- Commentary: Czech philosopher Daniel Kroupa has crossed the line, or: What is racism?
- Commentary: Romani actors should boycott Czech cop show over antigypsyist content
- Czech football hooligans' racism against black player to be addressed by disciplinary commission