French politician gets nine months for comparing minister to monkey
On Tuesday a French court sentenced a former member of the ultra-right party Front National to nine months in prison without the possibility of parole and banned her from participating in politics for five years. On her microblog, Anne-Sophie Leclère compared French Justice Minister Christiane Taubira to a monkey.
The court in the town of Cayenne, the capital of French Guiana, Taubira's birthplace, also fined Leclère EUR 50 000. The Front National has also been fined EUR 30 000.
The party stripped Leclère of her membership last December for her mistakes. The 33-year-old defended herself by claiming that the photo montage of the minister with a monkey "had nothing to do with racism" and had just been a joke.
Leclère also added that she was not the author of the image, which she soon removed from her Facebook page. Justice Minister Taubira was targeted by several racist attacks last year, as well as attacks over the fact that she supported introducing same-sex marriage.
- Czech fan of ultra-nationalist party gets suspended sentence for wearing Nazi symbols to demonstration
- Romani rapper Alex Dzurko's new video criticizes "Facebook warriors" and racists, laments social divisions
- Patrik Banga: Internet violence should be punished with prison
- Gipsy.cz's new video calls on adults and children to put down their phones and go outside together
- Thirty years of freedom: Roma in the Czech Republic wanted totalitarianism to end, value the chance to do business, lament antigypsyism
- German Govt approves measures to combat right-wing extremism, requires social media firms to report IP addresses of users making death threats
- Czech Regional Court returns online hate speech case about death threats against first-graders to lower court, more evidence needed
- Michal Mižigár: What democracy brought us Romani people in the Czech Republic in the 1990s
- Czech ombudswoman: Haters online frequently refuse to admit to themselves that they could be breaking the law
- Zdeněk Ryšavý: Online hate - what can we do? Welcoming remarks at the 2019 Annual Conference of the International Network against Cyber Hate (INACH)
- LIVE BROADCAST: International Conference on Antigypsyism and Hate Speech Online
- Lifeguard gets state honors from Czech President for injuries sustained in brawl that sparked ultra-right anti-Romani demonstration