French politician gets nine months for comparing minister to monkey
On Tuesday a French court sentenced a former member of the ultra-right party Front National to nine months in prison without the possibility of parole and banned her from participating in politics for five years. On her microblog, Anne-Sophie Leclère compared French Justice Minister Christiane Taubira to a monkey.
The court in the town of Cayenne, the capital of French Guiana, Taubira's birthplace, also fined Leclère EUR 50 000. The Front National has also been fined EUR 30 000.
The party stripped Leclère of her membership last December for her mistakes. The 33-year-old defended herself by claiming that the photo montage of the minister with a monkey "had nothing to do with racism" and had just been a joke.
Leclère also added that she was not the author of the image, which she soon removed from her Facebook page. Justice Minister Taubira was targeted by several racist attacks last year, as well as attacks over the fact that she supported introducing same-sex marriage.
- Patrik Banga: Social media is depriving us of context and driving us all crazy
- Czech court gives suspended sentences and fines to "Bloc against Islamicization" followers over death threats to random pedestrians
- Czech court frees women charged with promoting Nazism more than a decade ago
- Czech court acquits man of using force against two racists who insulted him
- Czech Ice Hockey Union fines club because its fans called Romani player a "gypsy", cites World Romani Congress
- Czech Police recommend prosecuting woman who wore Nazi swastikas for supporting a movement to suppress human rights
- International Network against Cyber Hate and ROMEA hold conference on antigypsyism and online hate in Czech capital
- European Roma are sharing an online hoax from 2002 about poisonous cosmetic samples
- Czech Police say man and woman who committed racist attack against Romani children should be prosecuted
- Jarmila Balážová, renowned journalist from the Romani community, joining commercial Czech online news server
- Czech court overturns acquittal for author of racist online comments, prosecution will continue
- Czech ice hockey friendly goes uncompleted after fans racially abuse Romani player and his team stops play in protest