Greek Parliament to convene with Golden Dawn MPs in handcuffs
The Greek Parliament is meeting today for its first session after early elections more than a week ago. That poll was won by the left-wing SYRIZA party, previously in opposition, who together with the nationalist Independent Greeks have formed a coalition government rather quickly.
The new cabinet will ask for a vote of confidence sometime at the beginning of next week. The MPs will begin work by taking oaths of office.
Seventeen legislators from the neo-Nazi Golden Dawn party, which once again came in third place in the elections, will also participate in the opening session. Some of them, however, will attend in handcuffs, because they are in custody awaiting trial.
Greek justice officials definitively decided today that the top leaders of Golden Dawn, led by party head Nikolaos Michaloliakos, will stand trial on charges of criminal conspiracy. They face up to 20 years in prison if convicted.
The trial, which will probably begin on 20 April, will involve all 18 former MPs and 54 other party officials. Law enforcement began investigating Golden Dawn in connection with the murder of a left-wing activist and popular singer, Pavlos Fysas, in September 2013, an incident that was the culmination of several years of ongoing violent activity targeting immigrants, left-wingers and sexual minorities.
- Greece: Neo-Nazis attack demonstration against xenophobia in Athens
- Greece: Neo-Nazis assaulting immigrants on the streets
- Greece: Many police voted for the Golden Dawn party, led by a Holocaust denier
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- USA: Holocaust deniers, neo-Nazis, QAnon followers and racist supporters of white supremacy attacked Congress to support Trump
- USA: Extremist supporters of Trump attack Capitol building, disrupt joint session of Congress, four dead, media and world leaders call it an attack on democracy
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- German court sentences terrorist who attacked Halle synagogue last year to life in prison
- Czech ultra-right oppose vaccinations against COVID-19 with antisemitic caricature
- Racists in Czech capital assault non-white family, call the father "Cikán", give the Nazi salute, try to take their baby
- In the V-4, COVID-19 pandemic exploited for ultra-right hoaxes, calls for authoritarianism
- Czech protest against COVID-19 response brings together the far-right, those against the PM, those against the opposition, xenophobes - and punks