LIVE BROADCAST: Elena Gorolová and European Commission Vice-President Jourová open international conference on anti-Roma racism
On Monday, 29 March, the international launching conference for the "CHACHIPEN" project researching anti-Roma racism, also called antigypsyism, will begin at 9 AM. The crucial aim of the project is to respond to historically rooted, systemic antigypsyism and to achieve justice, equality, non-discrimination and the full participation of Romani people in all activities of importance as equal citizens in Europe.
News server Romea.cz will broadcast the conference live. The project will be making use an approach following the Truth and Reconciliation model to assess past cases of rights violations and the ongoing structural discrimination of Romani people in the EU.
The opening section will include Věra Jourová, European Commission Vice-President for Values and Transparency and Duna Mijatovic, the Council of Europe's Commissioner for Human Rights. Romani community member Elena Gorolová of the Czech Republic will then discuss the forced sterilizations that have taken place in the former Czechoslovakia and present-day Czech Republic.
"We will discuss how we can renew trust between non-Romani people and Romani people, and what role mainstream institutions can play in that. Our experts will also discuss differences of approach and the role of activism for the civil rights of Romani people as part of the new EU Roma strategic framework for equality and inclusion," organizers have announced along with the information that the conference will be interpreted into Romanes.
The international conference is being held ahead of the 50th anniversary of the first international meeting of Romani people in 1971, which will fall on 8 April as International Romani Day and is being organized by the Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS), the Central Council of German Sinti and Roma, the European Roma Grassroots Organizations network, the Federación de Asociaciones Gitanas de Cataluña (FAGIC), Asociatia Fast Forward and the ARESEL network from Romania. The conference program is here:
- EU Commission: States have to show improvement for Roma if they expect to draw funding
- European Commission VP Věra Jourová: Not enough was done during the last decade for Roma, the EC is launching a new 10-year plan
- Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights calls on Czech lower house to adopt law to compensate illegally sterilized people, first reading scheduled for today
- European Commission acknowledges racism is structural and beefs up the fight against racial discrimination
- European Commission President calls on EU Member States to combat discrimination against Romani people
- Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights, Secretary General issue statements honoring 2 August
- EU Commissioners greet the Roma on International Romani Day
- Two brothers of Radek Banga object to his remarks about Roma in Czech media interview and his portrayal of their family in his book
- Chair of the Czech Pirates: Let's not trip the Roma up, let's treat them with the dignity they deserve, as equals
- Zeljko Jovanovic: The New Roma Politics of Self-Determination and Unity
- LIVE BROADCAST NOW! EU Anti-Racism Summit
- Romani Experts Discussed Hate Speech and Antigypsyism in the Media
- Romani MP in Spain proposes improving Roma access to education and adding anti-Romani bias to the Criminal Code
- LIVE NOW: Second day of conference on hate speech against Roma and Sinti in the media and how to combat it
- Mayor of Czech town apologizes after bureaucrat recommends application to use the town logo be rejected because she believed the applicant to be Romani
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AND TOMORROW: Two-day conference on hate speech against Roma and Sinti in the media and how to fight it
- Incoming Czech Chief Public Health Officer apologizes to Romani people for racist joke
- Brand-new Czech Chief Public Health Officer has a history of anti-Romani racism in her previous public communications about COVID-19
- Czech analyst warns that if welfare restrictions are adopted, societal tension will increase