Petra Gelbart: Czech media invite the wrong experts to discuss the COVID-19 pandemic
Petra Gelbart is from a Czech and Romani family. She was born in Czechoslovakia and moved to the USA with her family at the age of 10.
Today she teaches at a university in New Jersey on the relationship between the human brain and music, working as a music therapist and as a curator of the music section of RomArchive, a digital educational archive about Romani culture. During the spring, she contracted COVID-19 and shared her experiences with people on social media, describing the situation and measures in New York City as they unfolded.
"My husband and I live at the epicenter of the current pandemic, not far from a hospital where dozens of people are dying of COVID-19 each week. A month ago, nobody suspected this was on the horizon. I work as a music therapist, among other things, in a hospital for the chronically ill, and while I adapted the way I was coming into physical contact with patients and the number of those contacts at the beginning of March, no special measures were introduced, such as using gloves or facemasks. In New York, just a small fraction of those infected with the coronavirus have been tested or are being tested to this day, and at that time there were allegedly just a handful of people who fell ill with it. I fell ill on 10 March, but it took me more than a week after that to be diagnosed with COVID-19, and by then I had pneumonia and trouble breathing," she wrote in an April article for Romani vod'i magazine about her personal experience going through COVID-19.
Gelbart also follows the course of the pandemic in the Czech Republic and believes the Czech media have been interviewing the wrong experts about this crisis. "Unfortunately, the Czech media gives space to some dentist to comment on this, or to some cardiologist, to people who basically have no business talking about this. They just want publicity. Maybe they’re profiting somehow, but most qualified doctors and scientists have not been given room to speak. Only now are they being given some space when things are actually getting genuinely bad. I regret that the media here mostly cannot be believed as far as expert opinions go," she tells ROMEA TV.
She considers the information provided by the Czech Government to be provided in a chaotic way and says people here are not getting essential information. Many absurd hoaxes and rumors are circulating on social media - and not just there, as she points out.
"Whomever I ask among the scientists I know - who actually have nothing to gain, no financial profit to turn from saying something - they’re straight with me, and they say what circulates on Facebook is just garbage. People make stuff up, some get something out of it, or they’re bored and amusing themselves. The same goes for these anecdotes about, for example, many people going to be tested and getting a message that they’ve tested positive even though they never gave a sample – the same rumor was circulating in America, in those same places where thousands and thousands have died. Unfortunately, we also cannot believe these would-be 'personal' stories on Facebook," she tells ROMEA TV.
- Romani junior weightlifter wins three gold medals for the Czech Republic in youth championship held online because of COVID-19
- Czech collections agents threatening to confiscate laptops from families whose children need them for distance learning during COVID-19
- Czech protest against COVID-19 response brings together the far-right, those against the PM, those against the opposition, xenophobes - and punks
- Czech celebrations of 17 November will mostly be online, ultra-right plans to protest COVID-19 measures in the streets
- Czechs to protest COVID-19 measures on national holiday tomorrow - including neo-Nazis reviving antisemitic tropes
- Leading Romani activist and co-founder of Dikh TV, the musician Lajos "Paci" Balogh, has succumbed to COVID-19 at the age of 28
- Romani celebrities in Czech Republic with COVID-19 use social media to warn others, but will they be believed?
- Slovak Govt Roma Plenipotentiary says Romani community rates of COVID-19 infection the same as majority-society rates
- Czech and Slovak-language disinformation about COVID-19: Lies about testing, facemasks and Bill Gates
- Coalition of Romani representatives in Czech region of Liberec appeal to Romani community to follow COVID-19 pandemic regulations
- Slovak fascist politician says he is mixing cough medicine with vodka for his COVID-19, authorities warn that is dangerous
- Romani blogger known in the Czech Republic and Slovakia dies of COVID-19, posted video warning just this morning
- Young Roma in the Czech Republic call on community to protect themselves from COVID-19 and not believe everything they read online
- Czech riot police intervene against violent anti-COVID measure demonstrators
- Romani singer sends message about COVID-19 from a Czech hospital: You do not want to catch this
- Conspiracy theorists, disinformation followers and football hooligans to protest Czech Govt COVID-19 measures tomorrow in Prague
- Czech Interior Ministry: Ultranationalist party attempted to spark anti-Romani sentiment, extremists and xenophobes spread disinformation about COVID-19
- COVID-19 dampens turnout for annual international pilgrimage by Catholic Roma in the Czech Republic, but the atmosphere was not affected
- Petra Gelbart: COVID-19 can quickly get out of hand and spread to those who believe they are immune
- Czech Government Agency for Social Inclusion informs ombudsman that 82 % of communities where they work are satisfied
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- COMMENTARY: Romale, Bill Gates does not want to track you, vaccinations against COVID-19 will not kill you and do not involve microchips
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- Czech Pirates criticize Govt report on education of Romani children for not reflecting COVID-19 impact and lack of access to distance learning
- MEP Peter Pollák, a Romani community member from Slovakia, posts footage of his vaccination against COVID-19 to combat conspiracy theories influencing the community
- The other Czech pandemic: Disinformation about anti-COVID vaccination. Romea.cz refutes the most frequent hoaxes and manipulations
- Slovak quarantine measures in Romani settlement are over, police and soldiers no longer on guard there
- Fundraiser underway in Czech Republic for Romani taxi driver who was one of the country's first serious COVID-19 patients
- Slovakia closes Romani settlement because of COVID-19, police and soldiers deployed