Polish MEP fined for racist remark
Janusz Korwin-Mikke, an ultra-right legislator at the European Parliament from Poland, has been fined EUR 3 040 for making a racist statement during a plenary discussion. The MEP from the Congress of the New Right (KNP) party called unemployed young Europeans the "niggers of Europe" during a discussion at the EP this July on youth unemployment.
The statement, made two months after right-wing parties made significant gains during the EP elections this May, prompting concerns that xenophobia is spreading, sparked general outrage. EP chair Martin Schulz told his fellow MEPs that he had offered Korwin-Mikke the opportunity to "correct" his statement or apologize for it.
"He refused and insisted on his position," Schulz said. "I then made the decision to fine Mr Korwin-Mikke 10 per diems, which he will be docked."
The per diem for MEPs is EUR 304. "Legislators at the European Parliament in particular must avoid making statements that are discriminatory or that insult human dignity," Schulz said.
"Our Parliament includes various religions, various races, various political convictions, representatives of various cultures and nations," the chair said in a speech during the plenary session on the occasion of the 75th anniversary of the start of WWII. "Peace, tolerance, and respect are only effective when they are not just written on paper, but when they apply day in and day out. The great strength of this Parliament lies in the fact that this is precisely what we do."
- Czech MEP criticizes EU Platform for Roma Inclusion for including only one Romani speaker
- US Holocaust Museum not returning former concentration camp building to Poland
- Czech MEP Falbr criticizes government at Romani mediators' meeting
- OSCE human rights chief welcomes declaration of official Roma genocide remembrance day in Poland
- Czech MEP Březina supports Romani residents in Přerov gathering against neo-Nazi march
- EU strategy on Roma inclusion: MEPs set out priorities
- Proud to be Roma: Roma MEP Lívia Járóka on the need for a European strategy
- Socialist MEPs call on EU to condemn repatriation of Roma
- French MEP 'Irritated' by Pope's Criticism of Roma Deportation
- Press Release of MEP Lívia Járóka: For the protection of the Kosovar Roma refugees
- MEPs investigating Šefčovič, some Roma standing up for him
- Hungarian anti-Roma party will have three MEPs
- Poland ministry to close Gypsy-only classes
- Roma MEP defends Italy’s fingerprinting measures
- MEPs highlight "ghettoisation" of Roma and call for EU anti-discrimination measures
- ERTF meeting in Poland
- Czech MP who said she "understood" racist death threats against Romani and other non-white children switches parties
- Czech mayor claims all those number 8's in her event have noooothing to do with neo-Nazis
- Czech police use dehumanizing terms if incidents involve Romani people, the media parrot them - and then pogroms begin
- Czech Interior Ministry report finds far-right party was the "super spreader" of hate last year
- Commentary: Czech ombudsman's racist remarks reveal his ignorance of Roma and of history
- Czech lower house sees tussle over President's claims that "Black Lives Matter" is a "racist" slogan
- Czech Internet users fall for ultra-right disinformation parody - and instead of laughing, they lash out
- Czech MP Karel Schwarzenberg: Mr President, you've committed another complete faux pas
- Czech President Zeman marks US Independence Day by calling Black Lives Matter "racist"
- Commentary: Czech philosopher Daniel Kroupa has crossed the line, or: What is racism?
- Commentary: Romani actors should boycott Czech cop show over antigypsyist content
- Czech football hooligans' racism against black player to be addressed by disciplinary commission