Pope Francis pays surprise visit to immigrants in former camp for Roma
Yesterday Pope Frances unexpectedly visited a camp occupied primarily by immigrants from Latin American and other countries, in addition to Roma. He stopped by the camp while en route to the parish of the Holy Archangel Michael in the the Roman quarter of Pietralata.
The camp, which was once completely occupied by Romani people, is located about 300 meters away from the parish church. The Pope was immediately surrounded by enthusiastic, surprised camp residents.
Pope Francis spoke with them, blessed them and prayed together with them, spending about 15 minutes there before continuing on to the church. "It was very moving," a man who was present told news server Rainews.it.
- Address of His Holiness Pope Francis: Meeting with participants in the pilgrimage of Gypsies
- Pope Francis wishes hope and peace for Romani families in Italy
- Almost 2 000 Romani people granted historic audience with the Pope
- Pope to see Romani pilgrims on 75th anniversary of first beatified Rom's martyrdom
- Sarkozy to see Pope after French crackdown on Gypsies
- 3,000 gypsies coming to Birmingham for Pope's visit
- City council sets aside sites for gypsies arriving to see Pope in Birmingham
- French MEP 'Irritated' by Pope's Criticism of Roma Deportation
- Pope asks French to welcome all nationalities
- Pope appeals for respect for migrants rights after Italy begins clampdown on Romanians
- Czech Republic: Romani-occupied residential hotel catches fire, young family loses everything, 12 suffer smoke inhalation
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin wins gold in Sarajevo
- Czech city declares its entire territory a ghetto for harsh housing benefit restrictions - which don't deliver
- Czech city synonymous with ethnic segregation sets up "Committee to Map and Eliminate Negative Social Phenomena"
- Slovak bus company caught on video repeatedly denying some Romani passengers service
- German media report that attacks on immigrants last year in Chemnitz were planned by the radical right
- Czech Government decides today on moving Agency for Social Inclusion to the Regional Development Ministry
- Czech institute says city's hope of state investment into "container" housing may be in vain
- Germany's anti-immigrant AfD party is radicalizing, some members are attempting to overthrow the chair
- Italian Police raid ultra-right extremists, confiscate air-to-air missile from Qatar
- Italian PM wants to deport Roma, MEP Romeo Franz calls his behavior racism and the shame of Europe
- Czech research finds that majority must change its approach to Romani people in order to improve the situation in the schools